Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Campden, ON. update - bad news
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

darkside

Aug 12, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3888 views)
Shortcut

Campden, ON. update - bad news  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Golden_Horseshoe: Campden_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

FYI - I will be posting this on other online bulletin boards.

I regret to report that Campden Crag on the Niagara Escarpment may not have a successful resolution to the issues that have caused an interim closure. Since it was closed following concerns voiced by the conservation authority's board of directors, the Access Committee has had many meetings with the NPCA staff, made presentations to the board of directors, had area walk throughs, and done a lot of research to try and compile a solution. We are still working with staff and local fire/rescue personnel to make a proposal that will successfully re-establish access.

Myself and others on the Access Committee will continue to seek a resolution but it has recently been brought to my attention that some climbers have started to violate the ban. It seems that this has not escaped the attention of NPCA staff. I have asked our portfolio manager to try and establish the extent of these violations but the damage may have already been done. It takes a lot of work to build the sort of trust with land managers that leads to successful deals to re-open access and they have to believe that climbers will respect any future regulations. If climbers are not respecting a current closure, what is to make a land manager believe they will respect future regulations?

I would therefore like to express my disappointment and anger at the individuals who not only have managed to jeopardize the credibility of the Access Committee, but may well have managed to ensure that Campden becomes PERMANENTLY CLOSED.

I apologise for the rant but what the hell part of "CLOSED" do people not understand? Does it not occur to the idiots what they are endangering? I could understand if there was no attempt being made to work on access but there is an ongoing effort on this issue. It is not just my efforts that are being thrown back in my face but it is an insult to every member of the Access Committee and an insult to every respectable climber that is honouring the interim closure.

Could someone please answer my questions? Could someone please tell these idiots that is they who will be responsible if there is no successful end to the closure?

paddlegurl

Aug 17, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3888 views)
Shortcut

Re: Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about this. I'm new to climbing and live in the area and heard it has good climbing.

Why did they restrict access in the first place?

splish

Jul 18, 2012, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkside] Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so the last post here is from 2004???
Has there been any progress, or is this area permanently closed?

dagibbs

Jul 25, 2012, 8:31 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [splish] Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try asking on ontarioclimbing.com -- people on there may be more up-to-date on Ontario access issues.

splish

Jul 25, 2012, 8:32 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
You might try asking on ontarioclimbing.com -- people on there may be more up-to-date on Ontario access issues.

Thanks, I did get some responses, apparently its still done, but also people are still climbing there...

So, who knows...

Kartessa

Jul 25, 2012, 9:17 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

splish wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Thanks, I did get some responses, apparently its still done, but also people are still climbing there...

So, who knows...

It means that its still closed, but douchebags who dont give a shit about access are still climbing there.

splish

Jul 25, 2012, 9:23 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
splish wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

So, who knows...

It means that its still closed, but douchebags who dont give a shit about access are still climbing there.

Thanks Kartessa, you are always so cheery and pleasant. You always know just how to make me smile! Tongue

Kartessa

Jul 25, 2012, 9:46 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

splish wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
splish wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

So, who knows...

Thanks Kartessa, you are always so cheery and pleasant. You always know just how to make me smile! Tongue

Would you rather I encourage you to climb there anyway so you can jeopardize future access?

splish

Jul 25, 2012, 9:50 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Campden, ON. update - bad news [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
splish wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
splish wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

So, who knows...

Would you rather I encourage you to climb there anyway so you can jeopardize future access?

Trust me, I am not the one you have to worry about. I am very weary of access, being in Niagara Falls, I don't have a lot of climbing available to me, so I don't want to lose what I have. Jordan being the closest at a 25 minute drive, after that, everything is an hour or more away. That's why I was asking, and I sent an email to OAC to get the full story.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$18.86 (10% off)
$57.31 (10% off)
$6.75 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook