Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

splish

Jul 25, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2299 views)
Shortcut

BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just found this neat little gadget!

Its a new backpackers stove that runs on small sticks, plus it uses the energy from the fire to produce enough electricity to recharge your phone, GPS, camera batteries, ect.
What an ingenious idea!!!

http://biolitestove.com/

The only down side I see, you would have to keep this thing burning all night to fully charge your GPS.
Any opinions!

No fuel to buy or carry
Our stoves cook your meals with nothing but the twigs you collect on your journey, eliminating the need for heavy, expensive, polluting petroleum gas. Quick to light, fast to boil and easy to use.

Charge your gadgets
By converting heat from the fire into usable electricity, our stoves will recharge your phones, lights and other gadgets while you cook dinner. Unlike solar, BioLite CampStove is a true on-demand source.

Stay Green
By using renewable resources for fuel instead of petroleum, you're reducing your carbon footprint. You'll also keep fuel canisters out of the landfill.

Be prepared
The CampStove isn't just for camping; it's great to have on hand when the power goes out in a storm or other natural disasters. You'll be able to cook and keep electronics charged while power lines are down.

Have fun
Like a campfire, you can sit around the CampStove and watch the flames dance as you roast marshmallows and tell stories with friends.

(This post was edited by splish on Jul 25, 2012, 7:03 PM)

carabiner96

Jul 26, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [splish] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad you can't use it in places that don't allow fires.

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 7:26 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:

I can use my whiperlite in all those places that don't allow fires, and this thing actually encloses the flames more so than a whisperlite or a jetboil does, so I don't think it would be a problem.

If a parks officer did come by, he wouldn't even be able to see what you were burning for fuel anyway, the unit is completely enclosed.

I am going to order one this week, and when I get it, I will do some side by side tests next to my whisperlite.

I love the idea. The stove itself is only 35 grams heavier than my Whisperlite. Its only the size of a nalgene bottle, where my Whisperlite I have to pack the stove and fuel bottles, so it will save space. Even if I had to carry twigs with me, they are much lighter than a bottle of fuel, and I don't have to worry about them leaking in my pack.
I personally think it is an amazing idea. I will still have my whisperlite for areas where this is not suitable, but I think I will get a lot of great use out of this thing.
Maybe I should apply for a job in the BioLite PR department :)

carabiner96

Jul 26, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [splish] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

splish wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I can use my whiperlite in all those places that don't allow fires, and this thing actually encloses the flames more so than a whisperlite or a jetboil does, so I don't think it would be a problem.

If a parks officer did come by, he wouldn't even be able to see what you were burning for fuel anyway, the unit is completely enclosed.

I am going to order one this week, and when I get it, I will do some side by side tests next to my whisperlite.

I love the idea. The stove itself is only 35 grams heavier than my Whisperlite. Its only the size of a nalgene bottle, where my Whisperlite I have to pack the stove and fuel bottles, so it will save space. Even if I had to carry twigs with me, they are much lighter than a bottle of fuel, and I don't have to worry about them leaking in my pack.
I personally think it is an amazing idea. I will still have my whisperlite for areas where this is not suitable, but I think I will get a lot of great use out of this thing.
I don't think that's the point.

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
splish wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I don't think that's the point.

Well, during no fire bans, you are not allowed to have an open flame, however, they still allow the use of camp stoves, which are in fact open flame. This thing is a camp stove, and it is a completely enclosed flame. I very much doubt that they will ban these from parks.

crasic

Jul 26, 2012, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thermoelectric generators are hilariously inefficient, and as you pointed out they require the stove to be on for a period of several hours to even partially charge any devices, in my experience, camp cooking endeavors take 30-40 minutes at most. Their claim of "20 minutes charge time for 60 minutes of iphone talk time" is probably assuming a completely discharged battery (logarithmic charge rates and all that). Anyway, it would probably be more weight efficient and definitely more space efficient (although more expensive) to just carry spare batteries or have one of those battery based charger stations (uses AA batteries to charge your electronics) so I will consider the charger element to be somewhat of a gimick or at best an emergency feature.

Now, for the stove itself I can see several problems.

1. It has moving and electronic parts required to make it work. The ventilator fan controls the burning and the thermogenerator with battery powers the fan, more complexity = more shit to break at the worst possible moment, turning your fancy stove into a small portable firepit.

2. It uses solid fuel (e.g. twigs), these burn rather dirty and sooty, also, not particularly hot (compared to liquid or gas fuels). Additionally there is the problem of collecting suitable material, particularly above the treeline. I couldn't find anything about wet twigs either (after storm/snow) but I'm sure they don't help

Multi-fuel camping stoves like the whisperlite and the omnifuel have the benefit of burning literally any combustible liquid material in a pinch (omnifuel and some whisperlites also burn gas) and have a relatively simple design that is easy to field repair. They are also quite hot and get working after a rather quick priming cycle (no priming with gas). And for the same price as this stove. They also work at altitude or when wet, and can burn dirty fuel. Also, they have simmer controls that aren't just "wait for the fire to die down"

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing a full review, and it may be convenient as a backpacking stove, but until then I don't see it being that much better then a traditional fuel stove and a small campfire for emergencies. Although I can be convinced otherwise.

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crasic] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crasic wrote:
Thermoelectric generators are hilariously inefficient, and as you pointed out they require the stove to be on for a period of several hours to even partially charge any devices, in my experience, camp cooking endeavors take 30-40 minutes at most. Their claim of "20 minutes charge time for 60 minutes of iphone talk time" is probably assuming a completely discharged battery (logarithmic charge rates and all that). Anyway, it would probably be more weight efficient and definitely more space efficient (although more expensive) to just carry spare batteries or have one of those battery based charger stations (uses AA batteries to charge your electronics) so I will consider the charger element to be somewhat of a gimick or at best an emergency feature.

Now, for the stove itself I can see several problems.

1. It has moving and electronic parts required to make it work. The ventilator fan controls the burning and the thermogenerator with battery powers the fan, more complexity = more shit to break at the worst possible moment, turning your fancy stove into a small portable firepit.

2. It uses solid fuel (e.g. twigs), these burn rather dirty and sooty, also, not particularly hot (compared to liquid or gas fuels). Additionally there is the problem of collecting suitable material, particularly above the treeline. I couldn't find anything about wet twigs either (after storm/snow) but I'm sure they don't help

Multi-fuel camping stoves like the whisperlite and the omnifuel have the benefit of burning literally any combustible liquid material in a pinch (omnifuel and some whisperlites also burn gas) and have a relatively simple design that is easy to field repair. They are also quite hot and get working after a rather quick priming cycle (no priming with gas). And for the same price as this stove. They also work at altitude or when wet, and can burn dirty fuel. Also, they have simmer controls that aren't just "wait for the fire to die down"

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing a full review, and it may be convenient as a backpacking stove, but until then I don't see it being that much better then a traditional fuel stove and a small campfire for emergencies. Although I can be convinced otherwise.

Yeah, after reading through the website. I came to about the same conclusions as you. And I was particularily worried about wet wood. However, the smoke issue intrigues me. Somehow, they say they have managed to get rid of most of the smoke. They have been using the large ones for some time in 3rd world countries aparently.
The other thing I noticed, they claim to have desined a new thermoelectric generator that has been patented and is much more efficient than those of yesteryear.
I am weary, but I can't pass up the chance to see how well this thing works. I will carry it with me and try it on a bunch of day hikes first, then maybe some weekend trips.
I imagine, it will only be suited to certain optimal conditions. For example, shorter multi day hikes in mid summer during the dry season.
I will order mine and try it out. I will post any information I can.
If you can think of any specific tests you would like me to try let me know. We'll put this thing through it's paces. Also, I am wondering if it is waterproof???

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and yes, it seems to be decent for backpacking and maybe for base camps, but it can't be hung, so it is definately not a climbing stove. It does come with some sort of firestarter system, but it looks like it may just be a magnesium stick.

crasic

Jul 26, 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

splish wrote:
I am weary, but I can't pass up the chance to see how well this thing works. I will carry it with me and try it on a bunch of day hikes first, then maybe some weekend trips.
I imagine, it will only be suited to certain optimal conditions. For example, shorter multi day hikes in mid summer during the dry season.
If you can think of any specific tests you would like me to try let me know. We'll put this thing through it's paces. Also, I am wondering if it is waterproof???

I think it would be interesting to compare different fuel sources, and specifically focus on working with only wet fuel sources as would be the case post-rain (e.g. starting and cooking with only wet twigs). Maybe see the ease of lighting without the consumable lighting aid (the magnesium stick).

Comparing the cook time to an omnifuel or whisper light would be interesting, the full cook time for boiling like a liter of water, priming/starting + heatup + heating. Also weight comparisons for a typical liquid fuel stove + fuel compared to this thing (that battery/fan pack probably weighs a bit).

I'm specifically worried about its reliability, but thats hard to test. I've heard stories from friends backpacking in siberia burning dirty russian fuel and even ethanol (joke was that it ran on vodka) in their omnifuel for months with nothing but routine field stripping and cleaning. Although an occasional weekend hike may not require that kind of reliability.

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crasic] BioLite Stove - a stove that cooks and charges your electronics!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crasic wrote:
splish wrote:

I think it would be interesting to compare different fuel sources, and specifically focus on working with only wet fuel sources as would be the case post-rain (e.g. starting and cooking with only wet twigs). Maybe see the ease of lighting without the consumable lighting aid (the magnesium stick).

Comparing the cook time to an omnifuel or whisper light would be interesting, the full cook time for boiling like a liter of water, priming/starting + heatup + heating. Also weight comparisons for a typical liquid fuel stove + fuel compared to this thing (that battery/fan pack probably weighs a bit).

I'm specifically worried about its reliability, but thats hard to test. I've heard stories from friends backpacking in siberia burning dirty russian fuel and even ethanol (joke was that it ran on vodka) in their omnifuel for months with nothing but routine field stripping and cleaning. Although an occasional weekend hike may not require that kind of reliability.

I have a Whisperlite International, so this is what I will be comparing it to.

Biolite Stove: 935g
Whisperlite Stove: 441g + fuel

1L Water Boil time:
Biolite Stove: 4 Mins
Whisperlite Stove (white gas): 3.5 Mins
(This does not take into consideration lighting time)

When I actually get it though, I will do more tests.
How long it take to ignite, how clean it burns compared to white gas, and a few other things...

splish

Jul 26, 2012, 8:39 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found a few videos of this thing in action and I am reading up on reviews. It is on back order until late August :(

Basic Advertising Video
http://vimeo.com/41198061

Company Information Video
http://vimeo.com/32822376

Instructional Video
http://vimeo.com/41167959

Speech and Informational Video from the Creator
(A little boring, but extremely informational!)
http://vimeo.com/23517351

(This post was edited by splish on Jul 26, 2012, 8:43 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.46 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$174.56 (10% off)
$292.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook