RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tready

Jul 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2604 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Hueco Stretch Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings,

I bring to you yet another climbing shoe question: how much should I expect my Huecos to stretch? I wear a 12 or 13 in street shoes, and in the past, my climbing shoes have been all over the place in terms of sizes. I went with an 11.5 this time. I'm leaving the country for an extended period of time in a few weeks, and I'd like to have my shoe situation dialed in before I go.

I've since done a couple longish multipitch routes and am sold on the shoe itself, but I'm going to wind up losing 3 or 4 toenails. In large part, I imagine, to A) choosing an 800 foot climb to break in a new pair of shoes and B) a misunderstanding about a descent ("wait, we're scrambling down instead of rapping? Well...now I understand why you lugged your approach shoes all the way up this...").

I hesitate to say money is not an issue, because it certainly is, but I'd be more than willing to buy a pair of 12s if they're not going to stretch. Thoughts?

sbaclimber

Jul 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] 5.10 Hueco Stretch Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have worn (out) a number of pairs of the first 2 Hueco models (maroon and grey w/ eva heel), and would say they all only stretched about a 1/2 size (american), max...
The old models were all leather, but lined though. I don't know if the new model (which I assume you have) is still lined or not. If not, they may well stretch a bit more.

tready

Jul 27, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] 5.10 Hueco Stretch Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is still lined. I kind of figured 1/2 might be about the max. Do you recall how much you climbed in them before they stretched completely. I'm thinking I will end up buying a pair that's half a size larger.

sbaclimber

Jul 27, 2012, 8:56 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tready wrote:
Do you recall how much you climbed in them before they stretched completely.
Really rough number here...probably about 2 dozen times before I would've considered them "broken in".
That all having been said, the huecos have always fit my foot really well. I wear a 9 mens (EU 42) street shoe, but a 7.5 (EU 39) hueco. Even brand new they have always been really comfortable, w/o any stretching.
If they are uncomfortable for you new, then they will probably be uncomfortable later....
Go with the size up, or an other shoe (depending of course on what hurts).

Partner drector

Jul 27, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's interesting. I wear a mens 10.5 US street shoe and the size 10 Hueco I ordered recently were too small. I replaced with a 10.5 and they still seem just a tad to tight but should break in perfectly. Maybe I just wear my street shoes tight.

The previous (maroon and old grey) pairs I had ran large and I wore a size 10 US. Those were perfect for long trad climbs.

Hey, I still have the size 10 Huecos that are about a month old. Anyone want them for $100.00 plus shipping?

Dave

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook