Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Bouldering Road Trip (portland OR and South)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

JayTaylor

Jul 31, 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 3 (972 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Road Trip (portland OR and South)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, first post here so bare with me if I am posting in the wrong section or have spots in my post I possibly should of searched out for answers.

So currently I live in Portland OR. After moving here from Ventura CA (where I first got into climbing with my exgirlfriend), I've been going to a local bouldering gym for the past 6 months with only 3 outdoor boulders that I've come across in this half year span while in Oregon. Although last week I scored a perfectly new Metolius Boss Hogg crash pad off craigslist, and i'm lookin forward to putting it to use! :)

Needless to say, it's been somewhat torturous (i'm not a city person) but been great to help me progress as a climber. When I first got here I had only been climbing for a few months and was working on v3s at best, now I find myself doing v5-v6 as my peak climbs. Although I haven't touched my harness once since being here, I do plan on getting some rope time at the other gym before leaving...but thats another post ;)

Anyways this brings me to where I am at now. Planning. Considering I know I don't want to live in Portland Oregon (especially come winter time) I am trying to set up a nice road trip to look forward to. Being 24, successfully self employed (glassblower), and able to setup and work just about anywhere in the country, I'd like top take advantage of this all! It was two years ago that I started a roadtrip from home in Massachusetts based around work, but now I'd like to base one around climbing primarily - and worry about work second. Since I will be alone and don't have anyone to climb with, bouldering will be my main focus.

There are a few things I do consider though:
- My car will be full of my possessions - After having my car broken into 2 years ago in Vancouver BC, It has left me a bit paranoid about driving around with all my possessions. So I am a bit reluctant to get too far from my car for climbs unless people have some words to put me at ease? I have considered throwing dirty laundry over everything and making my car appear "messy'' rather than full and obviously someone on a roadtrip with everything they own (lol.

-Desert Cold - Being from Massachusetts, I am a bit clueless how the deserts are in the winter, I do know they get chilly for sure though.

-Sleeping in my car - I don't see why this should be a big problem, but maybe it potentially is? Any advice is welcome.

With that all said, If you could start in Portland Oregon and finish around Joshua Tree. What would you hit up on the way? :)

JayTaylor

Aug 6, 2012, 7:11 PM
Post #2 of 3 (808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JayTaylor] Bouldering Road Trip (portland OR and South) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol. nothing

WOLF_Larsen85

Aug 11, 2012, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 3 (705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JayTaylor] Bouldering Road Trip (portland OR and South) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head for the 395!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.55 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook