RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

hermantheballa

Aug 3, 2012, 6:11 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1869 views)
Shortcut

When is a rope too old to use
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bought a Mammut rope in 2005 from EMS and I've barely used it. It's been stored indoors and is pretty clean with no visible wear and tear. I used it probably 25 times max, never really fell on it.

I'm just getting back in to climbing after spending too long in Texas and Korea. Is this rope still safe to use, or is time to buy a new one?

JAB

Aug 3, 2012, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hermantheballa] When is a rope too old to use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hermantheballa wrote:
I bought a Mammut rope in 2005 from EMS and I've barely used it. It's been stored indoors and is pretty clean with no visible wear and tear. I used it probably 25 times max, never really fell on it.

I'm just getting back in to climbing after spending too long in Texas and Korea. Is this rope still safe to use, or is time to buy a new one?

Sure, climb on!

Kartessa

Aug 3, 2012, 6:39 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hermantheballa wrote:

It's really up to you to decide if it's usable. It's you and your friends trusting life and limb to the rope. That said, it's also your money to replace it.

Some things to consider while making the decision:

The "official" shelf life of most ropes assuming no use, stored in a dark and dry environment with constant temperature is 5-7 years.

Storing indoors doesn't mean much, the basement at my grandma's house is considered indoors but the place is cold and ranky with dampness. My attic is frakken hawt and nasty too, I turn into a puddle of goo whenever having to run up there to get anything.

Also, what kind of climbing are you doing?
***PERSONALLY*** if the rope was in good repair, stored reasonably (in a bag in a closet, away from crazy heat, moisture, chemicals), I would probably still climb on it. If it was thick and I was starting to have my doubts, it would be a toprope for a couple of seasons. If I was uncomfortable climbing on it it would be recycled or repurposed for something useful like a rug or a dog leash or one of these:

hermantheballa

Aug 3, 2012, 6:48 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] When is a rope too old to use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just looking at setting up a top rope. I'm going to avoid trad or sport for a while, at least till I get back in shape.

As for the official shelf life, looks like a I got at least till the end of the year.

The rope was stored in a bag inside a temperature controlled, dry place in my room at my parents house. I left it there untouched since I graduated college.

Thank you guys for the replies! I think I'll climb on at least till 2013.

acorneau

Aug 3, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check these recommendations from Beal and adjust for your circumstances...

http://bealplanet.com/...de-page.php#dureevie

bearbreeder

Aug 3, 2012, 8:27 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.alunrichardson.co.uk/...g%20pdfs/ropes17.pdf

for top roping, as long as it looks good and was not exposed to chemicals id use it well past "2013" .... hell, id even lead on it ...

Wink

TScott27

Aug 6, 2012, 9:10 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] When is a rope too old to use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although the shelf life of ropes is 5 to 7 years, I already grow wary when the rope reaches 4 years. So even though it doesn't really snap or get broken, i still buy a new one when I'm already nearing the 5th year. My motto has always been better safe than sorry.

rocknice2

Aug 6, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] When is a rope too old to use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
for top roping, as long as it looks good and was not exposed to chemicals id use it well past "2013" .... hell, id even lead on it ...

Wink

+1

majid_sabet

Aug 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TScott27] When is a rope too old to use [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TScott27 wrote:
Although the shelf life of ropes is 5 to 7 years, I already grow wary when the rope reaches 4 years. So even though it doesn't really snap or get broken, i still buy a new one when I'm already nearing the 5th year. My motto has always been better safe than sorry.

they have done study on rope over 20 years and 10 years is pretty minimum for life a rope .

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook