RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

csiebsen

Aug 13, 2012, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3319 views)
Shortcut

I'm not stuck on a plateau ... yet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing, mostly outdoor, for the last 4 or so years, maybe once a week or so. This fall I joined a climbing gym and would like to invest time and training so that by Spring I can move up at least a level, I'm around 5.10ish now.

My thinking has been to just have fun climbing and keep pushing myself to harder routes. This approach has appeal because it's so simple and I don't have to invest time or money into any specific training. I've been making pretty good progress doing this, but it occured to me that I might actually be teaching myself bad habits that I'll need to "unlearn" when I get to higher levels.

So, I bought a copy of "Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance" Dan M. Hague as well as a couple other books and am attempting to learn and apply all I can.

My question is, do you think this is adequate to get me on the right track or should I invest in getting expert feedback and training? At my home gym, "Vertical Endeavors" they offer individual training as well as weekly "Movement and Technique" lessons.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by csiebsen on Aug 13, 2012, 8:44 PM)

shockabuku

Aug 13, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] I'm not stuck on a plateau ... yet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
I've been climbing, mostly outdoor, for the last 4 or so years, maybe once a week or so. This fall I joined a climbing gym and would like to invest time and training so that by Spring I can move up at least a level, I'm around 5.10ish now.

My thinking has been to just have fun climbing and keep pushing myself to harder routes. This approach has appeal because it's so simple and I don't have to invest time or money into any specific training. I've been making pretty good progress doing this, but it occured to me that I might actually be teaching myself bad habits that I'll need to "unlearn" when I get to higher levels.

So, I bought a copy of "Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance" Dan M. Hague as well as a couple other books and am attempting to learn and apply all I can.

My question is, do you think this is adequate to get me on the right track or should I invest in getting expert feedback and training? At my home gym, "Vetical Endeavors" they offer individual training as well as weekly "Movement and Technique" lessons.

Thanks!

The Self Coached Climber is about as good of a print document as you're going to get and many people find the DVD very useful. However, if you can get useful, in person, training I certainly would take advantage of it.

csiebsen

Aug 13, 2012, 8:57 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] I'm not stuck on a plateau ... yet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input. I'll probably sign up for the Saturday class a couple times to see if it helps. For $20 it's not terribly expensive, but I'll probably wait on the individual coaching / training until I feel like I'm plateauing.

deschamps1000

Aug 13, 2012, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] I'm not stuck on a plateau ... yet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Up to you. But my guess would be that atleast 80% of climbers that climb 5.13 and up have never had formal coaching.

shockabuku

Aug 14, 2012, 3:42 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] I'm not stuck on a plateau ... yet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
Up to you. But my guess would be that atleast 80% of climbers that climb 5.13 and up have never had formal coaching.

Which only means that you can do it yourself. It doesn't mean that having someone else help you figure things out won't make it happen faster.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook