RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sverris

Aug 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #1 of 18 (6013 views)
Shortcut

knotting slings with overhand knot(s)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We all know the overhand knot will do the job when joining ropes for rappelling (another debate). It seems like this should also be a perfectly good knot for tying the sling that you would rap from.

Why not the DFK you may ask?

Winter, wind, dark, gloves etc are all good reasons for tying a more simple knot. Will two overhand knots (rolling issue) do the trick or will this be the end of me?

moose_droppings

Aug 13, 2012, 1:00 AM
Post #2 of 18 (5967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sverris] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sverris wrote:
We all know the overhand knot will do the job when joining ropes for rappelling (another debate). It seems like this should also be a perfectly good knot for tying the sling that you would rap from.

Winter, wind, dark, gloves etc are all good reasons for tying a more simple knot. Will two overhand knots (rolling issue) do the trick or will this be the end of me?

Whats a DFK? You mean an EDK?

What kind of load do you plan on putting on this knot?

I don't see any reason for not using a water knot for joining webbing together. I'd say your reasons are good ones for not using an EDK in webbing when things are less then optimal.

Your also comparing apples (rope) to oranges (webbing).

socalclimber

Aug 13, 2012, 3:25 AM
Post #3 of 18 (5918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good points from Moose. Just remember, what ever you do, both of those style knots must be checked BEFORE you rely on them.

marc801

Aug 13, 2012, 6:41 AM
Post #4 of 18 (5855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
sverris wrote:

Whats a DFK? You mean an EDK?
Maybe he meant double fisherman's knot? Which is totally the wrong knot for webbing, btw. An EDK *is* an overhand knot.

sverris

Aug 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #5 of 18 (5819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I was a bit unclear in my first post. My question concerns tying cord together, like when using your cordelette or spare prussik to sling a hole in the rock, pinched boulder etc.

And yes, i did mean the double fishermans knot.

Guran

Aug 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #6 of 18 (5798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, an honest answer for which i take no responsibility, or claim to have no evidence:

An overhand (EDK) will be safe for your abseil, as will a double fisherman.
However, the DFK might stay safe longer. Somthing the next climber will be grateful for.

njrox

Aug 13, 2012, 1:11 PM
Post #7 of 18 (5774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sverris wrote:
My question concerns tying cord together, like when using your cordelette or spare prussik to sling a hole in the rock, pinched boulder etc.

I would use a double fisherman's knot for cord and a water knot for webbing in this situation.

The EDK (and I personally use two knots and a full arm's length of tails) holds a rappel with static forces. As far as taking a fall, no idea.

rocknice2

Aug 13, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #8 of 18 (5766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the EDK for ice climbing and mostly use the DFK for rock but in a jam, if its dark and cold, I'd probably use the EDK.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Aug 13, 2012, 1:23 PM)

wivanoff

Aug 13, 2012, 4:16 PM
Post #9 of 18 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The DFK used to be used to make "permanent" runners out of webbing BITD. See the 1972 Chouinard catalog page 14. There's nothing wrong with using a DFK in webbing except it uses up a lot of material and is difficult to untie.

While most people use a Ring Bend (Water Knot) in webbing, I don't see any reason why an EDK in webbing wouldn't be ok for a rap anchor in the circumstances you describe. I'd use it. I think it's been discussed on Canyoneering sites (I've seen some photos) but I don't know of any tests.

marc801

Aug 13, 2012, 5:28 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wivanoff] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wivanoff wrote:
I don't see any reason why an EDK in webbing wouldn't be ok for a rap anchor in the circumstances you describe. I'd use it. I think it's been discussed on Canyoneering sites (I've seen some photos) but I don't know of any tests.
Canyoneering has some of the most sketch anchors I've ever seen. While some techniques would be good for climbers to know - eg: the biner block - others are less than inspiring.

Braced log anchor in Engelstead Canyon:

How solid is that chockstone?

Rapping off a pile of stacked rocks:

sbaclimber

Aug 13, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #11 of 18 (5648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Braced log anchor in Engelstead Canyon:

Yup, I'd trust it...

marc801 wrote:
How solid is that chockstone?

Looks pretty good to me...

marc801 wrote:
Rapping off a pile of stacked rocks:

Yeah...um....f*** that!

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Aug 13, 2012, 5:46 PM)

wivanoff

Aug 13, 2012, 5:47 PM
Post #12 of 18 (5643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Canyoneering has some of the most sketch anchors I've ever seen. While some techniques would be good for climbers to know - eg: the biner block - others are less than inspiring.

LOL.. those ARE some sketch anchors. I bet a lot of climbers have rapped off some pretty sketch anchors, too. Well, maybe not as bad as the pile of rocks....

Is the point of your post that the EDK should not be used in webbing for a rap anchor? Or that a DFK is the wrong knot for webbing?

(This post was edited by wivanoff on Aug 14, 2012, 11:06 AM)

sbaclimber

Aug 13, 2012, 8:58 PM
Post #13 of 18 (5586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Others may be of a completely different opinion, but I *personally* (caveat, I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up!) think that an overhand knot is about equivalent with the chock-log anchor shown above. Good enough for a one-time rap, but should definitely be re-checked before every rap and preferably be replaced with with something more trust worthy asap!
IMO, an overhand is *probably* good enough in a pinch, but if you have the time / hands free, go with the dfk.

snowfall

Aug 13, 2012, 9:40 PM
Post #14 of 18 (5562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love the anchors, no way not sketch at all! But the guy in pic 2 with the whipped cream on his head -- I just don't get it

USnavy

Aug 13, 2012, 9:49 PM
Post #15 of 18 (5559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tested an EDK knot in 1" webbing a while back. The knot capsized at about 1400 lbf, which is about 1/3rd of what you would get if you were to use a water knot. I left a 3" tail which was not sufficient to keep the knot tied - the knot came untied after the roll. Keep in mind though, it was a slow static pull with the strands being pulled completely in parallel. The knot may capsize at lower loads in the real world. Accordingly, I would not advise using the EDK to join strands of webbing, especially when the tail is short. Whenever I see fixed slings tied with an EDK knot, I cut them off or retie the webbing with a waterknot. Don't take shortcuts, do it right, use a waterknot.

wivanoff

Aug 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #16 of 18 (5550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] knotting slings with overhand knot(s) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I tested an EDK knot in 1" webbing a while back. The knot capsized at about 1400 lbf, which is about 1/3rd of what you would get if you were to use a water knot. I left a 3" tail which was not sufficient to keep the knot tied - the knot came untied after the roll. Keep in mind though, it was a slow static pull with the strands being pulled completely in parallel. The knot may capsize at lower loads in the real world. Accordingly, I would not advise using the EDK to join strands of webbing, especially when the tail is short. Whenever I see fixed slings tied with an EDK knot, I cut them off or retie the webbing with a waterknot. Don't take shortcuts, do it right, use a waterknot.

Thanks for that test. I did not see any tests of an EDK in webbing posted online.

Was your 1400 lbs in a loop or single strand?

If the EDK was in one leg of a loop and you measured 1400 lbs, does that mean the EDK rolled at only 700 lbs? OTOH, if the EDK in webbing was tested on a single strand, does it make sense that loop strength would be 3200 lbs before rolling?

Just curious, really not advocating that people routinely start doing this.

marc801

Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #17 of 18 (5534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wivanoff wrote:
Is the point of your post that the EDK should not be used in webbing for a rap anchor? Or that a DFK is the wrong knot for webbing?
* While the EDK in webbing will work in a pinch and USNavy's test shows adequate but not overly inspiring strength, I'd vastly prefer and use a water knot in all but the most dire of time-critical emergencies.
* The DFK uses far too much webbing and takes longer to tie than a water knot - both good enough reasons to not use it for an anchor that will be left behind.

USnavy

Aug 14, 2012, 3:55 AM
Post #18 of 18 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wivanoff wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Thanks for that test. I did not see any tests of an EDK in webbing posted online.

Was your 1400 lbs in a loop or single strand?

If the EDK was in one leg of a loop and you measured 1400 lbs, does that mean the EDK rolled at only 700 lbs? OTOH, if the EDK in webbing was tested on a single strand, does it make sense that loop strength would be 3200 lbs before rolling?

Just curious, really not advocating that people routinely start doing this.
The knot was actually end to end, not in a loop. However, the biggest concern is that the true strength of the knot seems to be heavily dictated by how tight it is. I pretightened the knot really well before pull testing it. Had I just loosely tied it and called it a day, I suspect it would roll at lower loads.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook