RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Ultraviolet77

Aug 14, 2012, 3:19 AM
Post #1 of 3 (401 views)
Shortcut

Thailand climbing guidebook
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be climbing in Tonsai/Railay in December and January. Would anyone be able to tell me which of the climbing guidebooks for that region would be the best one to buy.

Thanks.

redonkulus

Aug 14, 2012, 7:36 AM
Post #2 of 3 (365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ultraviolet77] Thailand climbing guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I liked the Sam Lightner book. It has pictures of the crags, good route descriptions, and some funny stories. Plus, I think some of the how to get around and what to do sections are way better than the newer books. On the other hand, Wee's new guidebook is way more up-to-date, has many new routes now in Sam's book, and has current information about what routes are rebolted, although there are only route diagrams, which makes it a bit harder to figure out which route is which. If I were you, I'd buy Sam's online to have it now and help you plan your trip, and then buy Wee's when you get there. It's only like 10 bucks.

Alternatively, I'll be on Tonsai from Nov 24-Dec 18th or so and can loan you a guide book or show you around, possibly in exchange for some belays (I'll be by my lonesome)!

Ultraviolet77

Aug 14, 2012, 5:05 PM
Post #3 of 3 (331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] Thailand climbing guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Your suggestion sounds like a good one and I will probably go with your idea.

I'm sorry I won't be able to belay you, though, as we'll be in Tonsai/Railay at the very end of December. I'm sure you'll be able to find a climbing partner fairly easily, though, as there will probably be many climbers in that area at that time of year.

Have fun!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook