Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cpowers15

Aug 14, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 51 (31403 views)
Shortcut

Connecting webbing to top rope anchor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tried some searching but over 715 pages of posts came up when I searched webbing and top rope anchoring so I apologize if this has already been addressed. I recently purchased a rope for some indoor sport climbing but am starting to look outdoors now since I have the rope.

I am trying to figure out how to best connect webbing to the top rope anchors to hang down over the ledge to be able to top rope. To go along with the safety/redundancy I picked up a couple 8' lengths of webbing. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to tie into the anchor?

What I've thought of (and tied the webbing up to see how it would hold) was the Alpine Butterfly Loop to bring the webbing together to have a loop so I can connect to the anchor via a Carabiner for quick setting and tearing down. Any thoughts on if this is a reasonable knot for setting? I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

(This post was edited by cpowers15 on Aug 14, 2012, 9:06 PM)

potreroed

Aug 14, 2012, 9:23 PM
Post #2 of 51 (31384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cpowers15] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Figure 8 on a bight and locking carabiners. Notice I said carabiners, plural.

cpowers15

Aug 14, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #3 of 51 (31376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotcha. I've got 2 for the rope to go thru facing opposite directions and I suppose it makes sense to do the same for the anchor. Thank you for the insight!

marc801

Aug 14, 2012, 9:43 PM
Post #4 of 51 (31376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cpowers15 wrote:
I tried some searching but over 715 pages of posts came up when I searched webbing and top rope anchoring so I apologize if this has already been addressed. I recently purchased a rope for some indoor sport climbing but am starting to look outdoors now since I have the rope.

I am trying to figure out how to best connect webbing to the top rope anchors to hang down over the ledge to be able to top rope. To go along with the safety/redundancy I picked up a couple 8' lengths of webbing. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to tie into the anchor?

What I've thought of (and tied the webbing up to see how it would hold) was the Alpine Butterfly Loop to bring the webbing together to have a loop so I can connect to the anchor via a Carabiner for quick setting and tearing down. Any thoughts on if this is a reasonable knot for setting? I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!
I'll be the first...
If you're asking this basic a question on the net, you need to:
1. Buy, read, and understand the Rock Climbing Anchors book by John Long.
2. Get personalized, live, face-to-face instruction.

Seriously. You're asking a very basic and generalized question, not specific clarification, which suggests a low level of beginner knowledge. You don't even mention what kind of anchor you're dealing with or its configuration. Chances are any answer to your question* would immediately trigger a number of follow up questions - the net is not the best delivery mechanism for this kind of knowledge.

*: by the way, your method would work, but there are far simpler approaches. In 40 yrs of climbing I've never once used an alpine butterfly in actual climbing.

You're not realizing the need for judgement in every specific situation, which may vastly alter the appropriate answer. For example, these are all reasonable yet very different anchors, except for one that is grossly wrong:

cpowers15

Aug 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #5 of 51 (31358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll post some pics when I get home. And I am absolutely a beginner as to why I am inquiring about this.

csiebsen

Aug 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 51 (31354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think that last sling needs a knot in it, other than that the smiling lady by that questionable tree would worry me.

marc801

Aug 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #7 of 51 (31351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cpowers15 wrote:
I'll post some pics when I get home. And I am absolutely a beginner as to why I am inquiring about this.
Understood. But it's almost like asking "I just bought this car. How should I drive it?"

Also, the mods might consider moving this to the beginner's forum, arguably a better location.

Partner drector

Aug 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #8 of 51 (31332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How did the sewn slings get through the bolt hangers in that ADT picture? I think there is something going on there that I can't see.

Dave

marc801

Aug 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #9 of 51 (31325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
How did the sewn slings get through the bolt hangers in that ADT picture? I think there is something going on there that I can't see.
I had the same thought....I think there's a knot of some kind down by the biner.

surfstar

Aug 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #10 of 51 (31313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
drector wrote:
I had the same thought....I think there's a knot of some kind down by the biner.

Likely the ends of the slings are clipped.

snowfall

Aug 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #11 of 51 (31294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 should really give the punch line: Pic 6=bad.
why?
1) slings can be get cut under load on the sharp edges of bolt hangers.
2) the sling pictured, as configured, is non-redundant. a slice through any part of the sling will compromise the entire anchor.

rocknice2

Aug 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #12 of 51 (31292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfstar] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfstar wrote:
marc801 wrote:
drector wrote:

Likely the ends of the slings are clipped.
Someone brought along a bar-tacking machine

rocknice2

Aug 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #13 of 51 (31290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snowfall] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snowfall wrote:
marc801 should really give the punch line: Pic 6=bad.
why?
1) slings can be get cut under load on the sharp edges of bolt hangers.
2) the sling pictured, as configured, is non-redundant. a slice through any part of the sling will compromise the entire anchor.
3] American Death triangle

patto

Aug 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #14 of 51 (31266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
I think that last sling needs a knot in it, other than that the smiling lady by that questionable tree would worry me.

That tree would more likely than not be stronger than a couple of bolts. Unless it is dead or the earth disturbed then I wouldn't worry about it.

wonderwoman

Aug 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #15 of 51 (31256 views)
Shortcut

Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from Gear Heads to Beginners by WW.

cpowers15

Aug 15, 2012, 1:00 AM
Post #16 of 51 (31245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you everyone, and again, I apologize for my lack of experience. But here is the anchor I'll be tying into:

And here is the webbing with the carabiners (lacking one):

And I think some of these other knots will be much better, as said in the previous posts. I also see now how much space in the webbing I waste tying it this way

snowfall

Aug 15, 2012, 1:01 AM
Post #17 of 51 (31243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

That tree would more likely than not be stronger than a couple of bolts. Unless it is dead or the earth disturbed then I wouldn't worry about it.

Dude, that tree is bomber. But I'd tie into the girl also, just to be safe.

patto

Aug 15, 2012, 1:45 AM
Post #18 of 51 (31226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snowfall] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snowfall wrote:
patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

Dude, that tree is bomber.

Isn't that what I just said? Crazy

snowfall

Aug 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #19 of 51 (31123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
snowfall wrote:
patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

Dude, that tree is bomber.

Isn't that what I just said? Crazy

You didn't mention tying into the girl. One should always tie into a girl, if one is available Wink

csiebsen

Aug 15, 2012, 1:32 PM
Post #20 of 51 (31106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

Interesting. The tree might be totally fine but my "anchor sensors" are still buzzing. I don't like that both anchors are on the same tree, if there's something up with the roots the whole thing would go. Also, as a rule I set up with 3 anchors, call me paranoid but that's how I learned to set up and am most comfortable with it. For this setup I'd add a third anchor into or around the rock somewhere. JMHO.

ninepointeight

Aug 15, 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #21 of 51 (31076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

Interesting. The tree might be totally fine but my "anchor sensors" are still buzzing. I don't like that both anchors are on the same tree, if there's something up with the roots the whole thing would go. Also, as a rule I set up with 3 anchors, call me paranoid but that's how I learned to set up and am most comfortable with it. For this setup I'd add a third anchor into or around the rock somewhere. JMHO.

You're anchor sensors need serious recalibration if you think the final pic is a solid anchor and tree isn't.

csiebsen

Aug 15, 2012, 2:39 PM
Post #22 of 51 (31066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ninepointeight wrote:
csiebsen wrote:
patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

You're anchor sensors need serious recalibration if you think the final pic is a solid anchor and tree isn't.
For the record, I wouldn't have climbed on the sling either.

ninepointeight

Aug 15, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #23 of 51 (31057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
ninepointeight wrote:
csiebsen wrote:
patto wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

For the record, I wouldn't have climbed on the sling either.

You posted that the "last sling needs a knot". There are two gigantic problems with the final photo, and a knot isn't one of them.

Firstly, the two slings are in American Death Triangle which multiplies the force on the bolts. If that were the only issue, it would still be safe for TR, but a much better anchor could be constructed with the same materials plus one carabiner.

The second and far more serious issue is that the slings are threaded directly through the bolt hangers. They could easily be cut while someone is struggling and takes a few falls.

(This post was edited by ninepointeight on Aug 15, 2012, 3:00 PM)

moose_droppings

Aug 15, 2012, 5:40 PM
Post #24 of 51 (30999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cpowers15 wrote:

I don't see much waste in that since the way you've got it made up it is a redundant anchor.

The overhand on a bight knots in the ends are safe to use that way (can't roll). Dress, set and leave about six inches of tail in the knot and your golden. Pad any edges if needed. They might be a little tough to untie but I've always managed to get them undone after a morning of TR soloing on them.

If your route wanders you could reduce the back and forth movement by pulling the two legs together in the direction of your climb and tying another knot just above the power point.

marc801

Aug 15, 2012, 5:58 PM
Post #25 of 51 (30988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
Also, as a rule I set up with 3 anchors, call me paranoid but that's how I learned to set up and am most comfortable with it. For this setup I'd add a third anchor into or around the rock somewhere.
You do realize that there are literally tens of thousands of anchors just in the US that consist of no more than two bolts, yes?

Anchor (probably the original) on top of Coonyard Pinnacle, Glacier Point Apron, Yosemite prior to replacement and used for over 40 years:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook