RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

UpToTheOzone

Aug 16, 2012, 2:21 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3708 views)
Shortcut

A climbing trip without a partner?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking into taking a month trip to yosemite, jtree, lake tahoe, and several other areas out west. I'll have a partner for the first week, after that, he's back to work. How hard will it be for me to find a partner for the duration of my trip?

gblauer

Aug 16, 2012, 2:48 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [UpToTheOzone] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How nice are you? What kind of a partner are you?

tscampbell

Aug 16, 2012, 7:39 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when, cause i'm kinda looking to do something rather similar

markc

Aug 16, 2012, 1:58 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During my incredibly brief trip to Yosemite, the climbers traveling solo didn't seem to have any problem picking up partners in Camp 4.

Kartessa

Aug 16, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Other than at small local crags, I've never had a problem picking up partners... for climbing or otherwise

jeepnphreak

Aug 16, 2012, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Show up at camp 4 with beer and be friendly. Talk to people and share climbing stories. Dont over hype you skills, there is nothing worse than picking up a climbing partner and having to bail from a climb because the unknown new guy cant/dosent have the skills. Off to take the lead on the crux.

For the most part it not too hard to find a group or other sinlgle goers to climb with.
I found that at times there are teams of 3 goign up, its easy then, just ask if you want to run two teams or two.

Wose thing that can happen it thet say no. other wise they might say yes and you would never know what oppertunity you just missed.

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2012, 6:39 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a month-long solo roadtrip. I was able to line up a fair number of partners in advance, and picked up many others at destinations. A few partners who I had lined up bagged out on me (some for good reasons, others not so much). Not everyone I met up with were perfect soul mates, but I'm actually pretty easygoing, so it all worked out fine. In the entire trip, I had only one day when I had no partner, but that was due to a miscommunication. And I had a number of my best climbing days ever. And had a fantastic experience.

A lot of it comes down to you: do you know any people across the country? Not necessarily know them well - could just be people you've chatted with on forums like this. Are you easygoing? How skilled and strong are you? How willing are you to bust your butt to make phone calls and do what it takes?

In short, yeah, it's totally doable. But the experience you have will depend somewhat on luck, and somewhat on who you are and what you bring to it.

Good luck!

GO

marc801

Aug 16, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UpToTheOzone wrote:
I'm looking into taking a month trip to yosemite, jtree, lake tahoe, and several other areas out west. I'll have a partner for the first week, after that, he's back to work. How hard will it be for me to find a partner for the duration of my trip?
One partner for the entire duration? Maybe, maybe not. Multiple partners, probably. In Camp 4? Not a problem.

Are they safe and fun to climb with or will they get you killed? That's the major crap shoot.

BITD, a friend hooked up in Camp 4 to do the Nose. They went up one day to do the first 4 pitches to Sickle to see how they worked together. When he reached the P2 anchor, he found he had been jugging on a single pin driven upward under a small overhang with no back up to the main anchor! Shocked He forced an immediate bail.

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
UpToTheOzone wrote:
One partner for the entire duration? Maybe, maybe not. Multiple partners, probably. In Camp 4? Not a problem.

Are they safe and fun to climb with or will they get you killed? That's the major crap shoot.

BITD, a friend hooked up in Camp 4 to do the Nose. They went up one day to do the first 4 pitches to Sickle to see how they worked together. When he reached the P2 anchor, he found he had been jugging on a single pin driven upward under a small overhang with no back up to the main anchor! Shocked He forced an immediate bail.

Also BITD, a friend hooked up in Camp 4 to do the Nose. It was both of their first walls, and they'd never met before. It went great, and they wound up being a partnership that climbed together for years, doing many of the classic FAs in Red Rocks (this was well before the Uriostes).

GO

marc801

Aug 16, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
marc801 wrote:
UpToTheOzone wrote:

Also BITD, a friend hooked up in Camp 4 to do the Nose. It was both of their first walls, and they'd never met before. It went great, and they wound up being a partnership that climbed together for years, doing many of the classic FAs in Red Rocks (this was well before the Uriostes).

GO
Like I said, it could go either way. You buys yer ticket and takes yer chances.

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2012, 9:34 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Like I said, it could go either way.

Exactly. Only thing that's likely is that you'll have an adventure, and some interesting memories. And isn't that a lot of what climbing's all about?

GO

shimanilami

Aug 16, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
... I've never had a problem picking up partners... for climbing or otherwise

... says the cute blond chick.

shimanilami

Aug 16, 2012, 9:48 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UpToTheOzone wrote:

IMO, if you're going for more than a week, then it's better to go solo. Enjoy the solitude while you have the option. Pick up a partner when you need one. Make friends if you want company for a little while. Being tied to someone for a solid month can be a drag.

(Of course, I'm married and have two young kids. I get "alone time" and make my own agenda just about never.)

UpToTheOzone

Aug 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camp 4 sounds like the overall consensus here. For those asking, I'm still in the planning stages but I'd like to be in California mid/late September and through all of October. I'm a snowboard instructor in the winter, so I don't need to be back to Colorado until November.

I really like multipitch climbs, never done anything longer than 9 pitches. I've never slept half way up a climb, but would definitely like to! I like easier trad and sport in the 5.9 to 5.11- area. I'm really just in for the adventure.

As far as what kind of partner I am; I'm not a big fan of long/steep approaches, but if the climb is worth it I can suck it up. I strongly prefer to swing leads whenever possible. I started climbing 13 years ago, but that was on 5.easy toprope with a camp, I started leading and buying my own gear about 4 years ago. Never taken a fall on gear, never aid climbed (aside from cheating with my quickdraw on a roof that I still can't do...)

I'd like to learn simul climbing techniques, have my gear placements critiqued, and although I've been getting better, my rope management could use some work.

areyoumydude

Aug 16, 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Other than at small local crags, I've never had a problem picking up partners... for climbing or otherwise

Yeah baby!

Kartessa

Aug 18, 2012, 5:05 AM
Post #16 of 17 (3327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UpToTheOzone wrote:
Camp 4 sounds like the overall consensus here. For those asking, I'm still in the planning stages but I'd like to be in California mid/late September and through all of October. I'm a snowboard instructor in the winter, so I don't need to be back to Colorado until November.

I really like multipitch climbs, never done anything longer than 9 pitches. I've never slept half way up a climb, but would definitely like to! I like easier trad and sport in the 5.9 to 5.11- area. I'm really just in for the adventure.

As far as what kind of partner I am; I'm not a big fan of long/steep approaches, but if the climb is worth it I can suck it up. I strongly prefer to swing leads whenever possible. I started climbing 13 years ago, but that was on 5.easy toprope with a camp, I started leading and buying my own gear about 4 years ago. Never taken a fall on gear, never aid climbed (aside from cheating with my quickdraw on a roof that I still can't do...)

I'd like to learn simul climbing techniques, have my gear placements critiqued, and although I've been getting better, my rope management could use some work.

I'll be down there the October 12-19 Wink

Kartessa

Aug 18, 2012, 5:05 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] A climbing trip without a partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Yeah baby!

Cool

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook