Forums: International: Euro Freaks:
Relocating to Europe -- good climbing areas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

iamanorange

Aug 13, 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2376 views)
Shortcut

Relocating to Europe -- good climbing areas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Europe to do a one-year internship, and then a one- to two-year master's program. My school has several post-graduation programs that will help one to get an internship, as well as the requisite visas and housing, so I am quite flexible about what city in Europe I can travel to. I also am multi-lingual and have a career with a very international focus. I have a number of friends who have taken this route, and are currently living in France or Spain.

I obviously have other things I am considering, but was wondering whether anyone on here could give me some feedback about the various cities I am looking at, and their respective rock climbing/hiking/outdoors-y communities. I mainly do sport, but have tried a bit of trad, and could see myself getting more into it if I lived in the right region. I'm interested more in the community than anything -- of course, I can pick up a climbing guide anywhere and see where there is good rock, but I really want to meet like-minded people who enjoy exploring, adventuring, are up for a day kayaking, that sort of thing.

Currently, I am looking at the following cities: Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, London, Berlin, Barcelona, somewhere in Holland, somewhere in Switzerland. Which of these places would be best for an outdoors enthusiast? Are there other cities that I should look into that I haven't mentioned?

JimTitt

Aug 13, 2012, 5:33 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamanorange] Relocating to Europe -- good climbing areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Paris, London and Berlin are relatively pits for climbing since there is very little worthwhile in the local area.
Barcelona is good as is Munich where I live. Grenoble is for sure good and Lyon is probably but I donīt have much experience of both areas.

degaine

Aug 20, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamanorange] Relocating to Europe -- good climbing areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grenoble is your best bet. A real city, big university, surround by mountains. Lots of crags (but also lots of climbers) barely a 10 minute drive from the center of town.

Lots of stuff to do in the city, and very easy to get to the mountains even if you don't have a car.

Good luck!

jumpingrock

Aug 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [degaine] Relocating to Europe -- good climbing areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

London is not great for climbing but there is outdoor 'climbing' about an hour away by train (9 - 12 m sandstone) and a few nice places 3 - 4 hour train rides - sea cliffs and the like. The weather is kinda crummy though. One thing London does have, and what keeps me here is cheap flights to pretty much everywhere in Europe...

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook