RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

zjolteon

Aug 18, 2012, 8:56 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All-

I've got a tree in my yard that has a ~40ft branch that I'd like to set up a rope in. I've already been up it once by throwing the rope over the branch, but I'd like to get something going that involves less wear on the rope and tree. My thought is getting some good chain and some quicklinks, looping the chain over the branch, and setting a rappel ring on the ends of the chain. I'd thread paracord through the ring to use as a leader for threading the rope through it.

Other threads I've found involving ropes in trees suggest getting a tree climbing rope, but they seem to be about putting a rope in a random tree and setting it repeatedly.

I feel like this could work, but before I go and do something a stupid way I thought I'd check in first.

Thanks

kf8mo

Aug 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zjolteon] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

A chain will cause a lot of damage to the tree, allowing fungi and insects to penetrate past the bark. The resulting weakness in the branch may provide you with an unpleasant surprise when climbing.

One option is to see if your local fire department has some scrap hose, and thread the chain through a piece of that to protect the tree. Another is to visit the store at any big truck stop along a freeway, and get a load tie-down strap. It's webbing on steroids: usually about 4" wide, rated to 54k lb., UV-stabilized. Cut the steel hook off the end, loop it over your branch, tie a ring bend (nice long tails!), and you have a strong attachment that won't dig into the bark like chain (or even a narrow sling).

sonso45

Aug 20, 2012, 3:49 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kf8mo] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great idea! I'll have to try that at the forks.

snoboy

Aug 20, 2012, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Wesspur.com and look for friction savers. Petzl makes one if you want to stick with a known climbing brand.

zjolteon

Aug 21, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoboy] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips, everyone. There's a firehouse a block from my place, so I'll probably start there, especially since I'm looking for something I can leave in the tree when I'm not using it. Still, good stuff over at Wesspur.

csiebsen

Aug 21, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, how will you be climbing the tree? Adding holds, climbing bark?

shimanilami

Aug 21, 2012, 3:17 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top rope tree climbing.

Now I've heard it all.

Gmburns2000

Aug 21, 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Top rope tree climbing.

Now I've heard it all.

I have to admit, I think I onsight free-soloed every tree I ever climbed.

zjolteon

Aug 21, 2012, 4:43 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first branch up is the one I'm hoping to attach to at ~40ft, and the trunk has a much wider circumference than my arms/legs can get around. If I climb the trunk, it'd have to be with something slung around the far side. I don't know what the technique is called, but we used to do it with a belt when I was a kid: sling the belt around the back of the trunk, lean back against the belt, move up one foot at a time, and then sort of spring up and flip the belt higher before you come out of the tree. I'd be fine doing that for maybe 10ft, but I don't relish the thought of slipping 30ft above the ground.

That said, the real intent of getting the rope up there in the first place is to practice ascending the rope. I had a group I'd practice with back before a move took me elsewhere, and I always enjoyed doing it. Plus, it is a good skill to know you have down if you ever need it.

acorneau

Aug 21, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zjolteon wrote:
The first branch up is the one I'm hoping to attach to at ~40ft, and the trunk has a much wider circumference than my arms/legs can get around. If I climb the trunk, it'd have to be with something slung around the far side. I don't know what the technique is called, but we used to do it with a belt when I was a kid: sling the belt around the back of the trunk, lean back against the belt, move up one foot at a time, and then sort of spring up and flip the belt higher before you come out of the tree.

It's called the "Mulan"...

majid_sabet

Aug 21, 2012, 5:54 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

last sunday a friend of the family invited me and friend of mine for BBQ and tequila and in the middle of the event he said i got a project for you then he showed me this 50 footer pin tree and said: you can climb this right ?

I asked what he had in mind and he told me he wants the disco Xmas light on the tree to power up and half way up where power connection was loose started some 15 feet up from the ground except, there was 30 foot drop right next to the tree so If I fell, I would had taken a 45 footer.

I climb the ladder 15 feet and stood on the big fat branch but ,I still had to climb another 6 feet to reach the connector. it meant i had to bring the ladder up ,place on the branch and climb more.

fuc* this, I haven't got killed in rock climbing and this job looks scary so I went back and got my hiking shoes on and asked if he has any kind of rope and he told me he has climbing rope.Awesome then He got me two homedepot 3/8 construction rope rated for 200lbs on FF0 and said, these are your type of rope right ? I made a harness from one rope and throw the other over the top of the big branch some 30 feet up and ran the rope in to steel guard fence next to tree and ask my buddy to do belay using modify munter hitch on the homedepot rope then I climb the ladder and climbed again another 6 so 20+ feet of the deck fixing the disco light thinking, if I take a fall, the friction from the branch alone will cut the rope

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Aug 21, 2012, 5:56 PM)

acorneau

Aug 21, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
last sunday a friend of the family invited me and friend of mine for BBQ and tequila and in the middle of the event he said i got a project for you then he showed me this 50 footer pin tree and said: you can climb this right ?

I asked what he had in mind and he told me he wants the disco Xmas light on the tree to power up and half way up where power connection was loose started some 15 feet up from the ground except, there was 30 foot drop right next to the tree so If I fell, I would had taken a 45 footer.

I climb the ladder 15 feet and stood on the big fat branch but ,I still had to climb another 6 feet to reach the connector. it meant i had to bring the ladder up ,place on the branch and climb more.

fuc* this, I haven't got killed in rock climbing and this job looks scary so I went back and got my hiking shoes on and asked if he has any kind of rope and he told me he has climbing rope.Awesome then He got me two homedepot 3/8 construction rope rated for 200lbs on FF0 and said, these are your type of rope right ? I made a harness from one rope and throw the other over the top of the big branch some 30 feet up and ran the rope in to steel guard fence next to tree and ask my buddy to do belay using modify munter hitch on the homedepot rope then I climb the ladder and climbed again another 6 so 20+ feet of the deck fixing the disco light thinking, if I take a fall, the friction from the branch alone will cut the rope

Epic.

zjolteon

Aug 21, 2012, 7:35 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Setting Chain/Rappel Ring in a Tree for Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
zjolteon wrote:
The first branch up is the one I'm hoping to attach to at ~40ft, and the trunk has a much wider circumference than my arms/legs can get around. If I climb the trunk, it'd have to be with something slung around the far side. I don't know what the technique is called, but we used to do it with a belt when I was a kid: sling the belt around the back of the trunk, lean back against the belt, move up one foot at a time, and then sort of spring up and flip the belt higher before you come out of the tree.

It's called the "Mulan"...

Great, now I'm going to have to figure out how to be "mysterious as the dark side of the moon" before I get in the tree.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$10.85 (10% off)
$144.71 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook