Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tpcollins

Aug 22, 2012, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 27 (15227 views)
Shortcut

Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought I'd ask the people that should know best.

I hunt from a treestand and I'm thinking a rock climbing harness - like a Petzl Calidris - is far better than a treestand shoulder type harness if I fall out of the stand. Even with the leg loops, these shoulder harness have a waist strap that gets pulled up into the ribcage when the restraint line is pulled tight.

I'm thinking the rock climbing type would be a better choice and less resticting on my legs and chest - am I right about this or comepletely off base? Thanks.

gram

Aug 22, 2012, 5:00 AM
Post #2 of 27 (15200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tpcollins] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have used one but because you have your tie in point in front of you it can get in the way but they do work not bad

Kartessa

Aug 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #3 of 27 (15155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tpcollins] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:

I hunt from a treestand and I'm thinking a rock climbing harness - like a Petzl Calidris - is far better than a treestand shoulder type harness if I fall out of the stand. Even with the leg loops, these shoulder harness have a waist strap that gets pulled up into the ribcage when the restraint line is pulled tight.

I'm thinking the rock climbing type would be a better choice and less resticting on my legs and chest - am I right about this or comepletely off base? Thanks.

A couple of issues:

- As mentioned, the tie-in at the front can make things a little difficult. You can still connect to it, but you will need more slack and should you actually need the harness to stop a fall, you're going to fall farther.

- If you happen to fall, and you go the extra little distance and you're still not touching the ground, you risk flipping around, and even more so, something called "Harness hang syndrome" if you're stuck there for too long with no way up or down.

Keep in mind I don't hunt, and I have no idea how tree stands work. I think hiding for hours on end just to kill something that doesn't know you're there is pretty cowardly. I dig tracking though.

yves

Aug 22, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 27 (15107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think the question was quite simple so why do you provide your own opinion about hunting ? I am also not a fan but who cares ?

moose_droppings

Aug 22, 2012, 4:43 PM
Post #5 of 27 (15096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:

Use the appropriate harness for which it was designed for.

Do you really want to be caught in a fall from your waist, in front, while holding a loaded rifle in front of you? It would also make you somewhat top heavy so a seat harness wouldn't be advisable in that situation either.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Aug 22, 2012, 4:46 PM)

Kartessa

Aug 22, 2012, 5:02 PM
Post #6 of 27 (15085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yves wrote:
I think the question was quite simple so why do you provide your own opinion about hunting ? I am also not a fan but who cares ?

Was an additional bit to say "I dont know exactly how it works"

Why do you post just to bitch about my opinion but offer no insight to help the lad?

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Aug 22, 2012, 5:04 PM)

tpcollins

Aug 22, 2012, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 27 (15066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I think hiding for hours on end just to kill something that doesn't know you're there is pretty cowardly.

Well I don't find fault with what other people do or how to live their lives. I assume you must be a vegan and would never eat meat that was slaughtered or harvested by a "coward".

I wound up buying the top rated treestand safety harness today so I'm all set. Thanks.

iknowfear

Aug 22, 2012, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 27 (15050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
I think hiding for hours on end just to kill something that doesn't know you're there is pretty cowardly.

Well I don't find fault with what other people do or how to live their lives. I assume you must be a vegan and would never eat meat that was slaughtered or harvested by a "coward".

I wound up buying the top rated treestand safety harness today so I'm all set. Thanks.

Oh the ironing! Calling our canadian bacon-queen a vegan!
tpcollins: Kartesa offered advice, including the limitations of the advice (a rare thing on the internet).

oh, and judging by your reaction, she hit a nerve...

AZwolf

Aug 22, 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #9 of 27 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With a sit harness the strap would have to go between your legs, under your arm, or in front of your face/over your shoulder. In the case of between your legs or under your arm, the force of the fall might flip you upside down, which is inherently hazardous. If you put the strap over your shoulder it would be in your way a lot. If I was to hunt in a tree stand I think I would get one of those body harnesses that I see workers use that connect on a shock absorbing strap that is attached on the harness between your shoulder blades.

(edited my answer for consisness after looking at how tree stand harnesses work)

Kartessa wrote:
tpcollins wrote:

A couple of issues:

- As mentioned, the tie-in at the front can make things a little difficult. You can still connect to it, but you will need more slack and should you actually need the harness to stop a fall, you're going to fall farther.

- If you happen to fall, and you go the extra little distance and you're still not touching the ground, you risk flipping around, and even more so, something called "Harness hang syndrome" if you're stuck there for too long with no way up or down.

Keep in mind I don't hunt, and I have no idea how tree stands work. I think hiding for hours on end just to kill something that doesn't know you're there is pretty cowardly. I dig tracking though.

The animals still have the ability to see and smell you when you are in a tree stand, it is just a different way of hunting an animal. So long as it is done while following laws and recognized ethical practices, hunting like this honors a long standing American tradition as well as an alternate and arguably more palatable way to bring meat to one's family table.

(This post was edited by AZwolf on Aug 22, 2012, 6:31 PM)

wonderwoman

Aug 22, 2012, 6:21 PM
Post #10 of 27 (15032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AZwolf] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AZwolf wrote:
The animals still have the ability to see and smell you when you are in a tree stand, it is just a different way of hunting an animal. So long as it is done while following laws and recognized ethical practices, hunting like this honors a long standing American tradition as well as an alternate and arguably more palatable way to bring meat to one's family table.

As a vegetarian for over 2 decades, I think hunting is more humane than the cruel conditions animals have to endure on a factory farm or slaughterhouse. Any bacon-eater shouldn't be slinging stones.

Do I have any advice on your harness choice? Nope. Sorry! Laugh

Kartessa

Aug 22, 2012, 6:57 PM
Post #11 of 27 (15012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
AZwolf wrote:

As a vegetarian for over 2 decades, I think hunting is more humane than the cruel conditions animals have to endure on a factory farm or slaughterhouse. Any bacon-eater shouldn't be slinging stones.

Do I have any advice on your harness choice? Nope. Sorry! Laugh

Don't be hating on my bacon... Since I've moved, there's an awesome family about 2miles away that raise pigs. It's a small-scale operation, selling mostly to farmers markets and local restaurants (I live in hipster central).

I now buy their less-sold pig belly, brine it for 48 hours, then smoke it for 6-8 hours for homemade bacon.

Vegetarians can suck it.

I still think hiding with a gun sucks. I'm not a vegetarian, nor a hippy. I used to give the same shit to the German Soldiers who would hang out in the watchtowers in Afghanistan and shoot at animals that would wander near the camp.

Like I said though... tracking is awesome, takes a degree of skill and the hunter in that case has earned what they kill.

wonderwoman

Aug 22, 2012, 7:08 PM
Post #12 of 27 (14999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I still think hiding with a gun sucks. I'm not a vegetarian, nor a hippy.

Good for you for going local. No one would label me as a hippy, either. But is hiding with a gun better than herding an animal that has lived in it's own crap and never been given the chance to live outdoors before herding it onto the kill floor to be struck in the head? That may not be where you get your bacon, but that's how a majority of people get the meat on their table.

Kartessa wrote:
I used to give the same shit to the German Soldiers who would hang out in the watchtowers in Afghanistan and shoot at animals that would wander near the camp.

I doubt that's similar to hunting. That seems less like eating what you kill and more along the lines killing someone's livestock and taking food out of the mouths of families that are already in a bad situation. Not cool.

tpcollins

Aug 22, 2012, 7:22 PM
Post #13 of 27 (14987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to thank those that gave a positive response to my question. But I sent an email to the support section here requesting that my registration be voided. Basesd on some of the comments here I don't think this is a forum I would like to follow. Good luck.

tpcollins

csiebsen

Aug 22, 2012, 7:25 PM
Post #14 of 27 (14984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Like I said though... tracking is awesome, takes a degree of skill and the hunter in that case has earned what they kill.

Not sure where you hunt, but trying to track animals, especially deer, in flat country is prettty futile. They'll hear you long before you see them. In hilly terrain or mountains it's an entirely different story. Also, if you are tramping around in the woods during deer season you have a 90% chance of walking right past another hunter in the a tree that can easily mistake you for a deer.

I've done both and can say it's a lot harder to sit still in a tree for 4 hours not making a sound and freezing your butt off than it is to go hiking through the mountains looking for game, but if you live in flat land and want some venison that's pretty much what you got to do.

As for the original post, I'd go with a real tree harness rather than use a rock climber. Go on craigslist and get a used one.

(This post was edited by csiebsen on Aug 22, 2012, 7:36 PM)

csiebsen

Aug 22, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #15 of 27 (14972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:
I'd like to thank those that gave a positive response to my question. But I sent an email to the support section here requesting that my registration be voided. Basesd on some of the comments here I don't think this is a forum I would like to follow. Good luck.

tpcollins

I signed up to this forum a couple weeks ago and was tempted to do the same thing. There are some snarky people here that are a total buzz-kill. Unfortunately, with the advent of the internet there isn't much you can do about it since they can stick their nose uninvited into any conversation.

On the other hand, there are some amazing individuals posting here as well that really know their stuff, and the vast majority are friendly and eager to help. I encourage you to stick with it and keep the good and ignore the bad. Just my $.02

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 22, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #18 of 27 (14939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I still think hiding with a gun sucks.

No doubt you have had at least a few people spray a similar statement in your direction, being that you were in the armed service.

No doubt you believe that the service you volunteered was honorable and valuable.

Yet, some people might say that you, in effect, were hiding with a gun, shooting at something that didn't know you're there.....

Of course, you might say "This is different." And you would be entitled to that opinion. But others would disagree.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort - just making an observation.

Kartessa

Aug 22, 2012, 8:21 PM
Post #19 of 27 (14934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
In reply to:
I still think hiding with a gun sucks.

No doubt you have had at least a few people spray a similar statement in your direction, being that you were in the armed service.

No doubt you believe that the service you volunteered was honorable and valuable.

Yet, some people might say that you, in effect, were hiding with a gun, shooting at something that didn't know you're there.....

Of course, you might say "This is different." And you would be entitled to that opinion. But others would disagree.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort - just making an observation.

How about "You don't know what the fuck you're talking about"?

I joined in June 2001 when Canada's role was just peacekeeping. I got dragged into your country's stupid war right after my basic training.

As soon as my contract was up, I got the fuck out.

Shut up before you embarrass yourself.

Kartessa

Aug 22, 2012, 8:31 PM
Post #23 of 27 (14918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Newbie question - rock climing harness versus treestand harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with hunting for food, but these days so many are out for Trophies.

I find decapitated deer carcases a few times a month in the forests behind my house. Tell me that's a noble and time-honoured tradition

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 22, 2012, 8:35 PM
Post #24 of 27 (14908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

The OP gave no indication he was the sport of drunken sport-hunter that behaves that way.

Sorry to bite and run, but I need to log off. Again, my apologies for riling you. It just peeves me to watch you consistently blasting at people the way you do. Same as it went with the old BET people - I don't hide like a coward afraid to stick my neck out and call it out when I see it.

dr_feelgood

Aug 22, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #25 of 27 (14883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The OP gave no indication he was the sport of drunken sport-hunter that behaves that way.

Sorry to bite and run, but I need to log off. Again, my apologies for riling you. It just peeves me to watch you consistently blasting at people the way you do. Same as it went with the old BET people - I don't hide like a coward afraid to stick my neck out and call it out when I see it.

You say funny thing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook