Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #1 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Mad Rock Shoe Reviews
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My purpose in starting this thread is to consolidate all of the actual reviews on the Mad Rock shoes. Hopefully then people looking for user info on a specific model won't have to look through 10 pages or 8 threads for the info they need.

Please DO NOT post questions, comments, or other silly stuff on this thread!

Reviews ONLY!

If you have specific questions or comments of users that have posted a review in this thread, please PM that person instead of posting it here.

There are a smattering of other "reviews" on other threads that I have collected and will post in this thread in the near future. In the meantime, if you are/have been climbing in a pair of Mad Rocks, please be so kind as to give us your opinion of the model/s you're using.

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Mad Rock On!

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:23 AM
Post #2 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Mad Rock Shoe Reviews [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, my review...
I ordered the Mugens and the Sharks. The Sharks I'm sending back because they are a bit too small.

I've been climbing in the Mugens for about a week and a half now. About 10 hours in the gym and about 3 hours outdoors (Limestone). Right off the bat I'll tell you I LOVE these shoes! They were a bit tight at first but are now really starting to break-in and form to my foot.

The most amazing part of the shoe to me (structural) is the molded heel cup. When you look at the heel cup, you think "wow, how am I gonna get my heel in there?" I thought I'd be taping my achiles tendon for a month. But when I put it on, it "sucked" my heel in and formed to the shape of my heel and achiles. They did not bother my achiles at all (read:NO Blisters!). When you want to take the shoe off, you basically have to pry it off of your heel. The toe box is pointed (big toe) and forces the scrunching/curling of your toes but is shaped well for its purpose. These two models are also fairly narrow so, be aware of that.

As to their performance, the first thing I noticed with the Mugens is that they edge on crazy little ridges I'd otherwise NEVER dreamt of using. This doesn't make me climb better, but offers up a whole new world of spots/nubs/ridges to put my feet/toes on a route. The rubber is the stickiest I've ever used! Outdoors, I was able to use a number of smear spots that are notoriously "polished" at our crag and the Mugens were brilliant. On an overhanging lead route at the gym, there is a spot where I get to and as I reach and grab a certain hold, both of my feet come off their respective holds on a regular basis. The Mugens kept my feet ON those holds (I think the ridge between the dual density rubber helped that but, who knows, I'm stickin'!)

Overall, the Mugens are a great shoe! Certainly as good as the 5.10 Anasazi Velcros. And the BONUS in the whole deal... You get 2 pairs of Mad Rock Mugens for the price of 1 pair of the New 5.10 Anasazis!

Definately worth the money, and possibly more.

When I get the proper size Sharks, I'll post a review for them.

duskerhu

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #3 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock
Belayer, Posts: 3 Posted: 2002-12-10 22:29
Greetings Everyone, Even you Funky We have been doing production of climbing shoes for several years through our own factories. Previously we have done production for Five Ten and several other companies. The reasons we do not state this in our catalogs or name names is because we have our own product we feel is superior in quality and production to the ones we have previously produced for others. In fact many of the shoes we produced for other were made using material and production methods specified by them, in order to save money. Those of you who have already received the product can see the obvious improvements we have made to our own product. The shoes are made start to finish in our own factory including the rubber, something no other shoe manufacturer can do. This allows us to monitor the quality at every step. Hope this answers some of the questions. I'm glad many of you are enjoying your new shoes and we appreciate all the feed back both positive and negative. PS, Funktimonius, are you really climbing in Bufo's

Joe @ Mad Rock

stormannorman
Top RoperPortland, OregonPosts: 34 Posted: 2002-12-07 17:13
Got to use my Hooker Zips today! They did perform great, I was able to stand on the smallest edge with confidence, my friends kept peeling off of them. I tried a heel hook and was able to rest my heel up on the edge with no effort, those ridges really work! I really liked the way they fit on my foot, I only went down 1 shoe size and they are perfect, and when I get to the top of the climb I just unzip and relax, I am glad I got the zipper ones. Who would have thought you could climb in Oregon in Dec. with a t-shirt on.

gearweenie
Free Climb Freak, New HampshirePosts: 106 Posted: 2002-12-08 11:43
I am climbing in the Hooker Zip and am very happy with the shoes. The hooker sole does work in tiny smears and edges. I find myself using the top of my shoes more and more, the heel hook is usefull even though I am not using it all the time I can see where someone climbing hard overhangs would use it allot. The Rubber is Stickier than any other rubber I have used. I think our Poster friend Funkymonius is either young, stupid, inexperienced, has not tried the shoes or working for one of the other shoe companies. These shoes are going to change the market and they way we climb in a very good way. I don't understand the hostility from people who have not tried them. Oh Yea, I fould several other posts from people who have been climbing in them and like the shoes.

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:40 AM
Post #4 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt
Resident HardmanScottsdale, ArizonaPosts: 741 Posted: 2002-12-08 19:34
OK, here goes-- The Mad Rock Phoenix shoe review. I took my new pair of Mad Rock Phoenix shoes out to Oak Flats today for some bouldering on real rock. I used the shoes on boulder problems from V0 to V5 or so in difficulty, some requiring quite delicate footwork. First of all, the Mad Rock Phoenix shoes are quite comfortable, even if sized tight. The shape of the toe is quite good for me. It is not curved way over and pointed where your big toe is--rather the toe is somewhat rounded, which I like because my middle toe is longer than my big toe. Shoes built on severly curved lasts do not fit me well. So they passed the comfort test for me. Oak flats (for those not familiar) is an area of volcanic rock type outside of Phoenix that requires various footwork technique. There are pockets to toe into, small edges, friction places, etc. The Phoenix shoes edge very well, in spite of not being all that stiff. I could toe into all but the smallest toe pockets with these shoes as well. There were only a very few places where a more pointy toe shape would have helped for "front pointing" but then I would like the shoes less, for reasons of fit explained above. Last of all--the rubber. The Mad Rock Phoenix does not have the "dual-density" sole found on the more advanced Mad Rock shoes. Instead, all of the sole is made from what they call "formula 5" rubber. Mad Rock advertizes this to be their harder rubber composition, that is stickier than 5.10's rubber. I would say that this rubber seemed to me to be at least as good as the 5.10 C4 composition, from a performance standpoint. I have never used the 5.10 HF rubber, so someone else will have to offer their opinion on that comparison. Also, time will tell how both the rubber and the uppers of these will wear. In summary, I like them a lot. Unless they fall apart quickly I think Mad Rock has a winner here. For the price, you can't beat them. I am thinking about trying their slipper (Shark) too. If I get some of those, I will post my review of that shoe here also.
Curt

[ This Message was edited by: duskerhu on 2003-01-09 23:41 ]

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:45 AM
Post #5 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

duskerhu
HonemasterTwin Cities, MinnesotaPosts: 440 Posted: 2002-12-08 22:11
Very Nice curt; that's the best "review" on any Mad Rocks I've seen yet. The following is what gearweenie had to say concerning his new Hooker Zips in another thread... Quote:
Heel fits better than any shoe I've ever owned... I've owned several five ten shoes. These fit about the same, but are a bit more comfortable in the heel. I can wear about a half size smaller in the Mad Rocks than I can in a Five Ten. I had some boreals and La Sportivas also but I have to go look and see how the sizing is, Seems different from model to model im my La Sportiva shoes. I can wear about 1 1/2 smaller than my street shoe in the Mad Rock. I bought 1 size smaller but could have went more. GW

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get mine... I'll relay my opinion when they come in. duskerhu

gearweenie
Free Climb Freak, New HampshirePosts: 106 Posted: 2002-12-09 18:04
Found this on another post from TRIASSIC in Prove Utah. "I've climbed in a pair of Mugens from Mad Rock for 4 climbing days. One day bouldering in the gym and 3 days bouldering on sandstone near Joe's Valley. I've done around 120 problems in the shoes and they're super sweet. The heel hooking is awesome. I've done a V5 slab, a V4 roof crack, a V7 steep, and tons of other types of problems. They climb well on all angles. The shoes perform excellent and the price is great. Can't wait to try the Hookers! " GW

markd
Lead ClimberPortland, OregonPosts: 63 Posted: 2002-12-09 18:15
I recently picked up a pair of the velcro Mad Rock shoes, not sure the name but they look very similair to the Anasazi's. I think they are a good shoe for the money but they don't have the performance of the Anasazi(the shoe I'm used to). I find it harder to stand on small holds, or smears, as there not as soft or responsive as I would like, while climbing at your limit. That being said, for the money you probably can't go wrong and they're only going to get better.

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:52 AM
Post #6 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt
Resident HardmanScottsdale, ArizonaPosts: 741 Posted: 2002-12-17 09:09
Jessica, I have climbed outdoors with the Mad Rock Phoenix shoes for the last two weekends now--and once at the local bouldering gym. The rubber on the Phoenix shoes is what Mad Rock calls "formula 5" which is the same rubber used on the outer part of the soles on the slippers and other shoes that have the "dual density" rubber soles. The "formula 5" rubber seems to me to be at least as sticky as the 5.10 C4 rubber. It also holds small edges very well. I don't know how it will wear because the shoes are still too new to tell--but I will see. I also have a pair of the slippers (Shark) coming, so I will see how these compare to the Phoenix, and will post something here. Curt

phaedrus
Red Point Maniac Denver, Colorado Posts: 183 Posted: 2002-12-22 20:26 Got mine in on Friday, tried them out yesterday. (I have a pair of Hooker Laces and a pair of Sharks.) I like them a lot, performance-wise... they worked great; definitely some of the best shoes I've used. The rubber is nicely sticky, and the dual-sole rubber is a nice touch. My only complaint is the sizing. Originally, I got them 2 sizes under my street shoe, and they were WAY too small. (I wear a size 13.) I had to return them and got size 12s. The 12s are still pretty small- they hurt to walk around in, at least at the gym, but while climbing, they work pretty well. I wore them for quite a while and they stretched a bit and felt better, but then I took them off to go get food and when I got back, they were seriously uncomfortable again (I'd heard the rubber on top will make them go back into their original shape.) I'm thinking about maybe trying a 12.5 if the situation doesn't improve. Between the two, I like the Sharks a bit better, in large part due to the comfort. (The Sharks win in this category.) BUT... performance-wise, I couldn't ask for better. The top rubber makes toe-hooking a snap, and the ridged heel makes heel-hooking pretty easy as well. While I don't see myself running up any 5.15s in the near future because of the shoes, they do help my performance a bit, just due to the dual density rubber and the stickiness of it. Overall: I like 'em... A LOT!! Go buy 'em.

curt
Resident HardmanScottsdale, ArizonaPosts: 741 Posted: 2002-12-25 10:15
Everyone, I previously wrote a review of the Mad Rock Phoenix shoes and was going to also do a review of the Sharks. However, Todd, above has already said most of the things that I would have put in my review. So I will not do a complete review. I would emphasize the sizing issue again, though. The Shark is not sized at all like the Phoenix. My 8 1/2 phoenix shoes are much larger than my size 9 sharks. For a size 10 foot like mine, the size 9 Sharks are barely possible to get on. I am willing to bet that 9 1/2 sharks would still be pretty tight. You may want to take that into account when ordering. Having said that, the Sharks are not too uncomfortable--even when really tight. And, now that I have put them on and taken them off a few times, they are a little easier to get into. They do perform very well, as the Phoenix shoes do. For a relatively soft slipper, they edge well--at least when they are as tight as mine are. Overall, they are the best slippers I have had in a long time. I prefer them over the LaSportiva Cobra and the Red 5.10 slipper that (for some reason) I can't remember the name of. Curt

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:57 AM
Post #7 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus
Red Point ManiacDenver, ColoradoPosts: 183 Posted: 2002-12-27 16:41
Took the Mad Rocks outside today... well, I took the Sharks out. Hit Flagstaff Mountain in Boulder and did some bouldering... the Sharks were GREAT. The heel gave me a nice edge on some hooks I was doing, and in general, they out performed my other shoes I'd brought along. They seem to be breaking in a bit better since it wasn't painful to wear them this time, though I still can't walk around in them for long periods. I continue to be happy... even more so since it looks like I may not have to exchange them again.

naitch
Top RoperHarrsionburg, VirginiaPosts: 35 Posted: 2002-12-27 19:51
Well my son's and mine MadRocks came today and I thot I'd report. My son got size 7 Mugens and I got 8.5 Hooker Zips. The observations that others have stated about sizes running small seem true for us. My son normally wears 6.5-7s in Boreals and he felt like the Mugens were to small especially since he's growing. I normally wear a size 9 5.10 for comfort. I wanted a bouldering shoes that was tight(er). However the 8.5 Zips were too snug for me. They are also a bit on the narrow side. I probably could have gotten by with them but my fear was the all rubber toe not stretching and conforming to my foot. My son tried my 8.5 zips, and while they are a slight but too large, he thought they were right if they were going to last him through the next climbing season. Actually he raves about the fit. He has only used them on our home wall but was standing with no problem on the tiniest of nubbins. Unfortunately, I'll have to send back his to exchange for another pair for me. I'll probably go with an 8.5 Flash since it's all leather and will stretch and conform to my foot. The only negative so far, is not being able to try them on and fit them at a local shop around here.
Naitch
They also come in a spiffy nylon mesh bag.

rjtrials
Belayerscottsdale, ArizonaPosts: 12 Posted: 2003-01-06 10:53
I got a pair of the Mugens last week from Shoreline. The fit is almost exactly like the 5.10 Anasazi Velcro, although a little smaller. The only major difference is the Mugen grabs your heel tenaciously. Not extremely tight, but like a suction cup. It has to be felt to understand. The "hard" outer rubber on the rim of the sole is definately as sticky as C4. I havent had an oppourtunity to really use the "soft" midsole in a smearing application yet. The little ridges on the heel really do work wonders. Plus, the rubber is quite sticky too! I hope that helps your quest for the better shoe.
RJ

duskerhu

Jan 10, 2003, 7:59 AM
Post #8 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mclee
Boulderer Tigard, Oregon Posts: 27 Posted: 2002-12-09 09:14
Naitch, In response to your questions, 1) When I first tried the Hooker Zips in the store (Climb Max), they absolutely killed my feet. I broke them in by wearing them around the house later that evening. I thought that the shoes wouldn't stretch much, but they have stretched enough so that there is no longer discomfort wearing the shoe. 2 & 3) The Hooker Zips are a leather (suede) base with the Mad Rock rubber covering the top of the shoe. I was concerned that because I got them so tight, that it would cause my toes to be crammed up and hinder my performance. However, as I said above, this has not been the case, and the flexibility in the shoe's forefoot is excellent. (Better than my La Sportiva Katanas). Longterm, however, I don't know what the outcome will be regarding the cracking of the forefoot, but I can tell you that the shoe is well made and durable. According to the shoe rep at Climb Max, the Mad Rock rubber is more difficult to grind down when resoling. Talk about the stickiest rubber soled on a climbing shoe! I can't believe how much better this shoe is at smearing and edges than my Sportivas!!! I was on the lead wall at the gym yesterday, and they performed extremely well on both steep and crimpy routes. Hope this helps.

duskerhu

Jan 17, 2003, 11:00 AM
Post #9 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I've been using the Sharks now too. First, the size 10 Sharks fit about the same as the size 10.5 Mugens... Figure that...

Anyway, they are very similar to the Mugens in that they are fantastic edging shoes... I haven't had all that much chance to smear with them yet, but what I have done works well.

The stucture of the shoe is relatively soft in the mid-sole, however the edges are pretty stiff, for edging... The shoe goes on your foot pretty hard. And its VERY hard to get off after your heel has "suctioned" into the heel cup! That is what makes the Sharks so secure I believe, is the heel cup (which is molded). I think I said in my Mugen review that the heel cup looked radical and I thought it would bother me. The heel cup on the Sharks is the same and it DOES NOT bother your foot at all. It streches as its suctioning onto your foot and basically becomes a tough outer skin to your heel.

I haven't climbed outside in these yet, probably because its ZERO freaking degrees here... But I think they'll perform very similar to the Mugens... without the velcro of course.

If you're looking for a real "slipper" (more like a PRYer ) this is a great shoe!

duskerhu

heelhooker

Jan 25, 2003, 8:35 AM
Post #10 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As promised, Dann.....
Here is a mini review of the Mugens.

First, I buy all of my running shoes in 10.5 and when I rent climbing shoes I go 43 or a tad smaller. The Mugens I got are 10 and they are so tight my feet are numb and worthless within 10 minutes. The pain took all of the fun out of it. They are going back for a larger size.

But, I did try them at the gym on a few boulder probs. WOW! They are so sticky and edge like a dream. I like to focus on footwork, and (when i could feel my feet) these shoes let me pull of stunts that had my head spinning (no one elses, mind you... they were still V0 )

A brief test and I went back to the gym shoes, but later when a particular problem was just out of my grasp I pulled them out of my bag again. "Oh! That's how it's done. Yes, I can do that."

These really are great shoes and just amazing for the $ they cost. Other than size my only complaint is the syn leather doesn't stretch and my newbie feet kinda need some give. I will probably swap the mugens for a leather based model.... and I will certainly comment here when I get them.

ewalkz

Feb 12, 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #11 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a new climber (couple of weeks in - can finish most V0 and struggle with V1) and ordered a pair of Mugen's from Aceclimbing (free chalk bag with purchase - nice!). These are my first pair of shoes and the first that i've climbed in outside of those sloppy lace-up rentals. They are incredibly small and KILLED my feet at first but this is the sacrifice we make for performance, yes? I ordered a size US9 (street shoe size of 9.5-10). And DAMN they are small!! rubber is sick though - love it. heel cup is easily the best part of the shoe - sucks your foot in and won't let go. The value is tremendous. I'm still hoping that they will continue to stretch and form more to my foot seeing as they still hurt after about 15 minutes. my eye is wandering towards the sharks - tight looking shoes....

climb on!

mowz

Feb 13, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #12 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You got that cahlkbag? How is it? I got the hms. Well, I'm here to write a review for the Mad Rock Pheonix.

I got them about 2 weeks ago. I've had 2 chances to use them and the results were wonderous. The first time I slipped them on, I thought they were too big because my toes did not "scrunch" up at the end, but that turned out to be a good thing because my feet fit very well; they take up the whole shoe. The first time I walked around in them, my feet forced the air out of the inside of the shoe so that it souned like I was farting. It was amusing. The heel of the shoe is very impressive. The suction it has on your heel is amazing. I tired a heel hook and my foot acted as another arm.

I'm very impressed with the shoe. As for the durability and the quality of the shoe, it's as good as the Spires or Boreals or LaSportivas, etc.

Thank you Mad Rock for an affordable quality shoe that rises above the competition.

Mowz

ronin7s

Feb 13, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #13 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my mugens finally and just want to say that they end the shoe argument for me. These shoes are awsome they stick to everything and allow you to stand on even the littlest of footholds with confidence that you won't fall off. I also love how they feel on my feet. I had a little trouble at first with the top of the heel but now that they are broken in they fit like a glove. I would also like to say that i love the heel ridges. They are awsome for heel hooking and are the best thing anyone ever designed on a shoe. Overall these shoes are the shixnit and i will never get a different pair.

ewalkz

Feb 26, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #14 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalkbag is cheap but holds chalk just fine. The mugens continue to be painful at first, but once i've warmed them up, they fit well and perform very well. Mad Rubber is the shizznizzle - sticks to the rock like nothing else. i'm lovin' the madrocks...... 8)

climb on! :twisted:

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 1, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #15 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as you wishe, mr. du...

i am a content owner of the flashes. i realize they are the crappiest model mad rock makes but i have been very satisfied. they do not shift around on my feet at all and i can endge on the tiniest of imperfections in the rock. i have not noticed any wear and tear thus far but as far as people concerned about the shoes not stretching, the will! i could not use mine for more than a half an hour at first on my left foot (which is for some reason a half size bigger..) but now i have no real problem wearing them for about two hours at a time w/o taking them off at all. not that they have overstretched. i think they molded to my foot very well. i have performed a few easy heelhooks and they held very well. i wear a 12-12.5 street shoe and copped a US 11. probably could've got away w/a 11.5 but i did not want to sacrifice a snug fit for my runt right foot. hmm. i'm freakish. but the shoes are great. oh !! and they have improved my love life substantially, helped me shed a few unnecessary pounds, and quit smoking. and they're doing my taxes as we speak.

naitch

Mar 1, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #16 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both my son and I have MRs. My son has the Hooker Zips and I the Flashes. We have only used them indoors so far because of the weather. My son wears about a size 8 street shoe and he is climbing in 8.5 Zips. He loves the fit and says they stick and edge very well. He has previously climbed in Boreals and 5.10s. I wear a 9 street shoes and got 8 Flashes. They are quite small. I am still trying to brake them in. I've been wearing them around the house for a hour at a time for several weeks and they kill my feet. I'm trusting that they will eventually streatch to fit because they are unlined. My only complaint is the shape of the toe box. It seems to be very narrow more chisel pointed than the Zips, both side view and top view. I think I prefer the shape and height of the toe box on the Zips and Mugens. I had Mugens but returned them for the Flashes.

The Zips and Mugens both seem to run smaller than the Flashes. If I were to get a Mugen or Zip, I think I would have gotten the same size as my street shoes.

Naitch

I can't wait to try them on real rock...

heelhooker

Mar 4, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #17 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I've been climbing this week in the Hooker Zips. Awesome shoes! great feel, lots of power in the toes. I will say though that they are sticky but soft. My less than solid technique has severly ground the souls on Indian Creek sandstone. My bad, I know. Also, they are great sport shoes but not so hot in the cracks when fitted tight. Going to try some MR Pheonix's for that. Let you know how they turn out.

mother_sheep

Mar 10, 2003, 2:48 PM
Post #18 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After climbing twice in the gym with my Sharks and once outside, I've decided that I really like them. They edge REALLY well on small nubbins. At first I found the rubber to be a bit too stiff but after climbing in them a few times, they're just fine. Well worth the money and maybe worth a bit more.

easysteve2

Mar 10, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #19 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the flashes, and tried them one day, for about 3 hours at a gym.

They were really uncomfortable after a little while, but I still got used to them. They edge really well, and they seem to be stretching a little, but still not enough to climb better in. After a few uses, they'll be fine and I won't worry so much about the pain in my toes. With the sharks, I had to get the same size as my street shoes, and still, they're perfect for the way climbing shoes need to fit.
They worked really well for all the bouldering I did (indoors). I recommend trying them out. I might buy another pair after these fail, if they ever do.

Edited for spelling

climbsomething

Mar 19, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #20 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoe Review: Mad Rock Mugen

The Mugen, Mad Rock's entry in the velcro slipper category, is a high-performance option for the sport climber and boulderer.

The Mugen comes equipped with Mad Rock's signature dual-density sole and ribbed "Hooker" heel. (And yes, the rubber really is That Good) Size these shoes for sport and get crankin,' but be aware that the lined synthetic uppers (the only model in the Mad Rock line with these features) have only a little give.

This nicely supportive shoe lets you happily edge and work tiny nubs and scoops with your toes, giving your tootsies a solid companion on vertical to steep endeavors. However, the relatively stiff soles didn't inspire much confidence with smearing, especially when new or cold.

Here's a shoe-to-shoe translation guide: If you like the 5.10 Anasazi Velcro, you'll like the Mad Rock Mugen. Similar fit, design and performance- only with a narrower last and heel cup, a boon for the people who complain that the Anasazis are for duck feet.

My other quibbles come down to design- the velcro straps were a bit long, but the decorative rubber logo patches near the ends kept me from being able to trim the straps without mutilating them. The stitching around the heel cup also gave me the itchies.

Nonetheless, the Mugens represent an outstanding value, and could easily garner the same "cult following" as the Anasazis.

dysappear

Mar 27, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #21 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read my review of the Hooker Lace-ups here: http://www.newenglandbouldering.com/media/madrock.html

ladybug84105

Mar 27, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #22 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried some on today... I liked the Phoenix.. The only problem is that I have wide feet and they just didnt work for me. So sorry to say that after trying on all of the shoes in the store, I did have to go with something else. Also my freind tried several on also, she has a very high arch and found that she couldn't get them tight enough. Hopefully this helps.

Bobbi

PS. I hope this is ok. I couldnt figure out how to delete my original posting.

gblauer

Mar 27, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #23 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

I love my Madrocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After much "to and froing" with my Madrocks (the shoes are tiny), I finally settled on the Madrock Flash. Although they are at the bottom of the shoe line, I am extremely happy. The shoe is very similar to the La Sportiva Katana, at half the price. The Flash fits well (larger toe box than the higher end models), and enables incredibly precise foot placement. The rubber is STICKY. I highly recommend the Flash...a great shoe for the price. BTW, I wear a womens 7.0, and purchased a mens 7.0...they fit perfectly. The entire Madrock shoe line runs small.

mojorisin

Mar 29, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #24 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8)

mojorisin

Mar 29, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #25 of 72 (18497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook