RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

dara

Aug 25, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1713 views)
Shortcut

50-60 deg overhanging wall with parallel floor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently built a 22 foot long by 4 foot wide outdoor climbing gym under a balcony at an angle of 50 deg from vertical. I have a 6 foot wide floor that is 4 ft below and parallel to it. There is a change in floor angle near the bottom to around 15 deg from horizontal. I'm happy enough with the climbing angle, but not that happy with the floor angle since I slide too fast and sometimes get rug burns. So I'm thinking of modifying the angles to make the wall steeper (and thus the floor less steep).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the best angle is for this design? If it were just about climbing, I like 50 deg. Steep enough to get weight off my feet and I can climb in socks, but not so steep that that I'm falling off many of my holds (I tried to build a horizontal roof at my last house and that is hopeless - I could hardly use any of my holds). I haven't yet experimented with different slopes of the carpeted foam to see what sliding down 20, 25, 30, and 35 deg from horizontal feels like, but 40 seems too fast. I'm guessing 25 feels fine. My guess at a better compromise is 60 deg for the wall[reply][/reply]. Caltech has an indoor gym at this angle (which I climbed on 10 years ago) and I think I'll have to get stronger to use the smaller holds, but that is probably a good thing. I think a 30 deg floor will be a lot less disorienting when falling and sliding than the 40 deg is now.

Has anybody out there tried something like this? I searched around but have never found anything but flat floor gyms. If you were to build such a gym what angle would you pick and why?

Dara Parsavand

edge

Aug 25, 2012, 9:09 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dara] 50-60 deg overhanging wall with parallel floor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you considered building in some carpet foam "speed bumps" every 4-5 feet? Works great.

Alternatively, make the gap between the climbing wall and bottom slope 6-7 feet at the top and keep it at 4 foot at the base.

(This post was edited by edge on Aug 25, 2012, 9:13 PM)

acorneau

Aug 26, 2012, 7:55 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dara wrote:
Has anybody out there tried something like this? I searched around but have never found anything but flat floor gyms.

North Austin Rock Gym has a portion of the floor angled up towards the wall. It's been many years since I've been there so I can't remember how far up/out it goes, but you can see a hint of it in a few pictures on their website:

http://www.austinrockgym.com/nargpics.htm

To add to Edge's idea: instead of making the floor flat with one angle why not make it a tiered or terraced floor so you don't go sliding very far. (Round off any corners, of course.)

(This post was edited by acorneau on Aug 26, 2012, 7:58 AM)

dara

Aug 26, 2012, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a chance to test 30 deg from horizontal for the floor (which is typical carpet bonded polyethylene foam 2" over plywood - if I had been thinking clearly I would have got 1 3/8", the short fall means 2" is way overkill given 2" of open cell below). 30 deg works great - much more controlled sliding. 35 deg might be OK, 25 would be fine too, but 60 deg overhanging is about as steep for the climbing wall as I'd want to go and my balcony is over a hill where the slope fits a 60 deg overhanging wall perfectly. So I'm going with 60 deg overhanging.

Thanks for the replies. I don't like the speed bump idea or the tiered drops since it sounds like too much trouble given just getting the 2" foam to make small bends I have in the floor now is tough enough. I do like the idea of making the floor a slightly different angle, but the angle change is a function of how long your wall is and I was thinking of the general case for others too. I might go a few deg less in my case depending on how much ground I have to dig up.

Wow that picture of the Austin Rock gym looks really steep for the sloping part of the floor. I guess you hit and bounce a little bit before landing on the level floor. This limits how high you can go doing it this way. I am more interested in an angle that you could literally go 100 feet if you had the right property to build such a wall. I'll post my final design later in this thread if anybody else is interested.

Dara

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.65 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook