Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

donald949

Aug 27, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #26 of 26 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
There are certain free climbing transgressions, for example. The current climbing magazine issue, page 33. Taint o meter. One end of the meter is a total free climb, the middle is questionable free climb, the end is not free at all. In between free and questionably free, includes: chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro. In between questionably free and not free at all includes: take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling, aid.

OK, so there are at least two people with mistaken ideas about what a free climb is: you and the author of that article.
I fear that damned page in Climbing is going to haunt us for years. Experienced climbers can see the humor and understand the satire, but n00bs and the clueless will interpret it as some sort of iron-clad definition and start spouting bull shit like "degrees" of "true free climbing".

Just like the nonsense of being able to on-sight a climb on your 4th attempt or numerous other examples from this site.
That actually made me laff.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook