RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Aug 10, 2012, 1:34 PM
Post #1 of 16 (5280 views)
Shortcut

ascending with tibloc or prusik
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning to do some photography work with some friends leading sport routes. I am thinking about setting up a top rope next to the route and ascending up and down with either two tiblocs or two prusiks. I know one of them will be connected to my harness and one for my foot. My question is will I need to have another way of connecting myself to the rope other than the tiblocs/prusiks? I was thinking about running my grigri between the two ascenders for added safety. Does this sound like a good idea or are there better ways of doing it? Or are the two points connected to the rope (tibloc/prusik) sufficient and safe.

Thanks
cody

shimanilami

Aug 10, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #2 of 16 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The most common approach is to attach an ascender (or prussic/tibloc) to your harness, and then hang an aider (or sling) from the ascender, and then run the rope through a gri-gri. You stand up on the aider, pull in slack on the grigri, and sit down on the grigri. Then you slide the ascender up, stand up on it again, pull in slack on the grigri, etc.

It's isn't essential to have a second ascender and aider, but if you're jugging a lot, then it is faster.

acorneau

Aug 10, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #3 of 16 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:
I am planning to do some photography work with some friends leading sport routes. I am thinking about setting up a top rope next to the route and ascending up and down with either two tiblocs or two prusiks. I know one of them will be connected to my harness and one for my foot. My question is will I need to have another way of connecting myself to the rope other than the tiblocs/prusiks? I was thinking about running my grigri between the two ascenders for added safety. Does this sound like a good idea or are there better ways of doing it? Or are the two points connected to the rope (tibloc/prusik) sufficient and safe.

Thanks
cody

Two connections to the rope if using ascenders, one is good if using the Grigri.

I'd go with the Grigri on your harness and use the Tibloc with a long sling for your foot ascender.

Prusiks would suck mightily.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Aug 10, 2012, 1:54 PM)

Partner drector

Aug 10, 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #4 of 16 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one connected to your foot should ultimately be connected to your harness too, if that wasn't already obvious.

Beyond that, a Google search of "ascending rope" or similar terms will get you lots of posts, pages, and videos of exactly what you want to do. Simply wade through through the information until you find a technique that matches your desired gear and safety factor.

I forgot to mention that using a GRIGRI as part of your system should allow you an easy way to move down the rope as well as up it. My opinion is that a GRIGRI and a Prusick might be a good combination since you can relesase the friction knot while ascending. Releasing a tibloc would not be as easy. I have not tried this myself.

Dave

(This post was edited by drector on Aug 10, 2012, 1:55 PM)

anthonymason

Aug 27, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were setting up for a TR Photo shoot, there are three things that I would bring, a Pinot Gri with ice,or a nice Pinot Noir, or maybe a great single malt Scotch but that would depend on the weather.

After that I would bring a Bunsuns seat whether home made or purchased, a asscender, a gri-gri a pmp pulley and a rope a few lockers and some slings/runners/cordage.

Set you're TR up, toss the rope, hook up the gri-gri and rap, for asscending add one Jummar(jug) and a one pmp pulley, and one Etrier, follow the proper set up and jug away, for the shoot sit down(bunsuns chair) and take the pic's, for detailed info head over to Chockstone.org and look up Jummaring with a gri-gri/ asscending.

DemolitionRed

Dec 6, 2012, 8:11 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthonymason] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The Grigri is not designed to be an unassisted break and though I know many people use the Grigri in hands free situations, I would personally recommend you invest in an I.D. This is the commercial version of the Grigri which has a brake built in. Its designed to be used hands free which is ideal if you are hanging on it for things such as photography.
For ultimate safety I would be inclined to drop two top ropes, one to ascend and the other with an A.S.A.P on it. The reasons for the second rope and the A.S.A.P is because if you take a fall on an Ascender or Tiblock, you can shred the rope.

(This post was edited by DemolitionRed on Dec 6, 2012, 11:33 PM)

stevecurtis

Dec 6, 2012, 9:38 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For years, i've used a grigri, ropeman with slings, and a soloist. Steve

camhead

Dec 6, 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DemolitionRed] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DemolitionRed wrote:
The Grigri is not designed to be an unassisted break and though I know many people use the Grigri in hands free situations, I would personally recommend you invest in an I.D. This is the commercial version of the Grigri which has a break built in. Its designed to be used hands free which is ideal if you are hanging on it for things such as photography.
For ultimate safety I would be inclined to drop two top ropes, one to ascend and the other with an A.S.A.P on it. The reasons for the second rope and the A.S.A.P is because if you take a fall on an ascender or tiblock, you can shred the rope.

For ultimate safety you should just stay on he ground, because ass-ending is just plain dangerous!

DemolitionRed

Dec 6, 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep thanks for that camhead!
In reply to:

olderic

Dec 6, 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
DemolitionRed wrote:
The Grigri is not designed to be an unassisted break and though I know many people use the Grigri in hands free situations, I would personally recommend you invest in an I.D. This is the commercial version of the Grigri which has a break built in. Its designed to be used hands free which is ideal if you are hanging on it for things such as photography.
For ultimate safety I would be inclined to drop two top ropes, one to ascend and the other with an A.S.A.P on it. The reasons for the second rope and the A.S.A.P is because if you take a fall on an ascender or tiblock, you can shred the rope.

For ultimate safety you should just stay on he ground, because ass-ending is just plain dangerous!

I'd also recommend investing in a device that has a "brake" built in as opposed to a "break" - but I guess it depends on what you are hoping to accomplish....

DemolitionRed

Dec 6, 2012, 2:53 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks boys. As English isn't my first language I'm grateful we have some pedants in the house. If you ever come to the French alps I will be equally happy to help you out with French Tongue
Its just a shame that what i said, which was good info, was lost by my language not being understood. Unsure
I think its time I gave these forums up.

olderic

Dec 6, 2012, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DemolitionRed wrote:
Thanks boys. As English isn't my first language I'm grateful we have some pedants in the house. If you ever come to the French alps I will be equally happy to help you out with French Tongue
Its just a shame that what i said, which was good info, was lost by my language not being understood. Unsure
I think its time I gave these forums up.

You do know (no?) that your English is better then 99% of the posters here (hear?) don't you?

avalon420

Dec 6, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DemolitionRed wrote:
I think its time I gave these forums up.[/[:/
In reply to:
We are sorry, don't go. We REALLY could use more intelligent input around here.

But to the O.P. gri-gri + accender/ prussik is GREAT, but whatever method you use, see also "tying in short". Boatswain (said bo-s'n)seats are great for long sittings. You can make your own super cheap & easy, and I would recommend it be hung from a separate line.

(This post was edited by avalon420 on Dec 6, 2012, 8:40 PM)

theextremist04

Dec 7, 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or you can tie backup knots- it's a whole lot cheaper and easy and works well.

Syd

Dec 15, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Backup knots are essential. There was a recent death and a big grounder recently as I recall, both without them.

JimTitt

Dec 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] ascending with tibloc or prusik [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
Backup knots are essential. There was a recent death and a big grounder recently as I recall, both without them.

As mentioned above a standard system is with an ascender for the footloop and a Grigri on the harness. The ascender is connected to the harness with an additional sling as a backup and makes knots superflous.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook