Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aaronbchandler

Aug 29, 2012, 4:53 AM
Post #1 of 42 (13531 views)
Shortcut

Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright Im having a little trouble deciding whether or not to trade my FJ in for a used but newer Subaru Outback. My climbing plans include lots of driving in town to the gym and interstate travel for weekend climbing. I just need some help deciding if trading in my 4x4 fj is a good choice or not??

(This post was edited by aaronbchandler on Aug 29, 2012, 4:54 AM)

AZwolf

Aug 29, 2012, 5:48 AM
Post #2 of 42 (13509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aaronbchandler] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking that the better gas mileage on the subaru makes a difference, but they both kind of suck for that. If you aren't going off road then I would get something that gets a lot better mileage like a toyota corolla, but if you need something that says "I'm a climber", which both the models you mention suggest, then you should get the Honda CRV which gets 25MPG combined and you can keep the 4x4 if you want.

USnavy

Aug 29, 2012, 5:52 AM
Post #3 of 42 (13505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

aaronbchandler wrote:
Alright Im having a little trouble deciding whether or not to trade my FJ in for a used but newer Subaru Outback. My climbing plans include lots of driving in town to the gym and interstate travel for weekend climbing. I just need some help deciding if trading in my 4x4 fj is a good choice or not??
You are using your car for normal errands and you decided to ask a bunch of climbers if trading the car is a good idea? I suggest navigating to an automotive forum, they will be a bit more qualified to answer this question. If you are asking which is the best option to sleep in on the weekend, you already know the answer to that. An SUV is always going to be more comfortable. But being that we are on the topic of autos, you may want to look at the VW Jetta TDI sportwagon and the Prius V. Both are wagons and both of those vehicles will get over 40 MPG on the highway. The Jetta will get around 32 in the city and the Prius will get about 45.

marc801

Aug 29, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #4 of 42 (13435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aaronbchandler wrote:
Depends on what you think you'll be doing. The FJ will get you to a lot more places than any Subaru (although I've seen Subies in some surprising places in red rock canyon country). At minimum, off-road the FJ will not need as much careful driving or spotters as a Subie.

True to form, rc.noob is generating some distinctly odd responses. A question about an FJ vs Outback and someone is seriously suggesting a Prius wagon????

jeepnphreak

Aug 29, 2012, 2:58 PM
Post #5 of 42 (13422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK first your post is of no value to anyone that might be able to help you. let get some clarifcation first.
1. where do you live? city, burbs, mountain top?
2. climate, are you cruzing S cali, or are you in Alaska driving over 10 feet of snow?
3. Are you trying to decide to trade you FJ because you dont want to spend so much on gas? is your current FJ paid for or are you still doing payments?

wonderwoman

Aug 29, 2012, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 42 (13416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we recently got an outback. We have an inflatable mattress that fits in it perfectly, so we can drive somewhere late at night and crash out in the back if we can't make it to a campsite.

I don't know a thing about the Toyota, though. But I can tell you that I am happy with our outback. It suits my climbing needs and spends the weekdays parked since we are public transportation commuters.

granite_grrl

Aug 29, 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #7 of 42 (13396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aaronbchandler wrote:

How often do you use 4x4? How often do you do serious off roading?

It is nice to have a vehicle you can sleep in, but very few people actually go on roads where you really need an off road vehicle.

ObviousTroll

Aug 29, 2012, 3:31 PM
Post #8 of 42 (13394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since when do climbers need 4WD to get somewhere? I understand it might be desirable in some certain few occasions, but be honest; how often do you have an offroad 4x4 approach to your local gym? My guess is you don't get outside very much so you don't know if you'll need 4WD or not to get to the crags. The answer is no.

You also can't compare an Outback to an FJ. FJ was built to be over the top, and Outback was meant to be eco-class dirt runner. The question is do you have the money for the FJ's gas?

Then buy the Outback.

wonderwoman

Aug 29, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #9 of 42 (13376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ObviousTroll] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
Since when do climbers need 4WD to get somewhere?

AWD is handy for driving in the North East. I grew up in a place where I would constantly get stuck in deep snow my driveway. Getting stuck anywhere became a non-issue once I started driving a AWD Subaru back in 1999. Before that, I would be found sliding all over the roads or attempting to push my car out of mud / snow and any combination of the two.

ObviousTroll

Aug 29, 2012, 3:51 PM
Post #10 of 42 (13366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
I understand it might be desirable in some certain few occasions,

TL;DR?

granite_grrl

Aug 29, 2012, 4:02 PM
Post #11 of 42 (13352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:

AWD is handy for driving in the North East. I grew up in a place where I would constantly get stuck in deep snow my driveway. Getting stuck anywhere became a non-issue once I started driving a AWD Subaru back in 1999. Before that, I would be found sliding all over the roads or attempting to push my car out of mud / snow and any combination of the two.

I've heard this argument before and I'll counter it with a set of snow tires.

wonderwoman

Aug 29, 2012, 4:15 PM
Post #12 of 42 (13339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:

We were poor. Our solution was to throw as much heavy crap in the trunk as possible, lay boards on the ground under the wheels, start shoveling as soon a possible and get ready to wake up early for the pushing.

ubu

Aug 29, 2012, 4:18 PM
Post #13 of 42 (13337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:

Even with snow tires & chains I used to have serious problems just getting in/out of my driveway in WV after a snow dump, and getting around the mountains in these conditions was a non-starter. An Outback with 4-season tires fixed this. There is no comparison between AWD and 2-wheel + snow tires.

Besides, who wants to muck around with storing snow tires and swapping them all the time? I've been there, done that, and won't ever go back.

granite_grrl

Aug 29, 2012, 4:58 PM
Post #14 of 42 (13309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
There is no comparison between AWD and 2-wheel + snow tires.

I'd be curious to compare my old Alero with snow tires vs an Outback sans snow tires. I bet the Alero would hold it's own in most situations and definity do better once things got icy (softer rubber compound in snow tires)

But I hear you about the storage. If you don't have the room it would be a serious pain in the ass. My only point is you hear people say how they need 4WD/AWD for snowy conditions, when there are alternatives that work.

ubu

Aug 29, 2012, 5:51 PM
Post #15 of 42 (13283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
ubu wrote:
There is no comparison between AWD and 2-wheel + snow tires.

I'd be curious to compare my old Alero with snow tires vs an Outback sans snow tires. I bet the Alero would hold it's own in most situations and definity do better once things got icy (softer rubber compound in snow tires)

But I hear you about the storage. If you don't have the room it would be a serious pain in the ass. My only point is you hear people say how they need 4WD/AWD for snowy conditions, when there are alternatives that work.

All I can say is that I used to scoff at AWD, thinking that if you know how to drive in snow you should be just fine with FWD + suitable tires. But after getting stuck a few times, spinning out a few other times, and becoming sick of changing tires and putting on chains (this was on a VW Passat wagon) my wife and I decided to try an Outback. I will never go back to a non-AWD car as long as I have to deal with significant snow conditions.

Do you *need* AWD for snow? Well, I also would have said no before experiencing the difference AWD can make. I guess I feel it's similar to climbing shoes...I suppose we could go back to using sneakers...after all we don't really *need* specialized shoes for smearing, edging, etc., do we?

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2012, 6:13 PM
Post #16 of 42 (13268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FJ is nothing but a regular toyota truck.engine, transmission, most suspension parts are identical to toyota truck so buy a truck and save more money.

if I was going to buy a 4x4 again, i would look for 2006-2007 jeep liberty turbo diesel. few of them came to north America and I owned one. very powerful and great 29mpg gas saver.

ex took it

marc801

Aug 29, 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #17 of 42 (13252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
...which was followed with some discussion about the northeast and snow and mud.

There are quite a few areas in Utah, Nevada, other desert/canyon country states, and the Sierra where 4x4 is indeed necessary unless you want an extra 2, 3, or 15 miles of approach. Also not mentioned was high ground clearance - often more important than just 4x4 - but something that basically comes with 4x4.

ObviousTroll

Aug 29, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #18 of 42 (13246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
FJ is nothing but a regular toyota truck.engine, transmission, most suspension parts are identical to toyota truck so buy a truck and save more money.

if I was going to buy a 4x4 again, i would look for 2006-2007 jeep liberty turbo diesel. few of them came to north America and I owned one. very powerful and great 29mpg gas saver.

ex took it

He already has the FJ majid... You weren't pitching that a Subaru Outback is more expensive than a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma were you?

This topic has become worthless, if it wasn't from the start.

(This post was edited by ObviousTroll on Aug 29, 2012, 7:55 PM)

marc801

Aug 29, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #19 of 42 (13243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
If you're using it for 4x4 roads, the problems with a truck are the longer wheelbase and the relatively shallow angles of attack and departure.

majid_sabet wrote:
But the Liberty has piss-poor ground clearance. They get high centered all the time in Moab and environs. They also have almost no interior room compared to an FJ or Jeep Cherokee.

Edit to fix inadvertent cheese-titting thanks to Majit's dramatic formatting.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 29, 2012, 6:44 PM)

njrox

Aug 29, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #20 of 42 (13237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of our cars is a Subaru Outback. I love it. I love Subaru, and when it's time for our other car (Honda) to be replaced we'll probably get another Subaru.

wivanoff

Aug 30, 2012, 1:07 PM
Post #21 of 42 (13145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I generally like my Outback. It's been really good for climbing/camping. In winter, going up the long hill on my way to work I just drive around cars that are stuck spinning their tires.

Not sure I would buy another manual transmission, though. Google "Subaru clutch shudder". Don't know if they've fixed this on newer models.

dynosore

Aug 30, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #22 of 42 (13129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally love my Suburban 2wd. It gets 18mpg highway and will carry and tow more than just about any vehicle. It has great ground clearance and will go places where cars like Outbacks bottom out. I've been into off roading for 30 years, and I can assure you that 90% of the time clearance matters more than absolute traction. It definitely is NOT for ultra tight trails though, too long. With snow tires in the winter, it will plow through almost anything.

I don't get why outbacks are so popular. Bad mileage for a small vehicle, dead ugly, cramped inside, and slow.

wonderwoman

Aug 30, 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #23 of 42 (13119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I don't get why outbacks are so popular. Bad mileage for a small vehicle, dead ugly, cramped inside, and slow.

It is true that it lacks the pep of my previous Impreza Coupe. However, I could not fit crap in that car - especially with a family of 3. I find it really spacious compared to a tiny 2 door vehicle (that could still plow through snow).

Gmburns2000

Aug 30, 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #24 of 42 (13103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:

Or learn how to drive a front-wheel drive.

I managed just fine in Maine, NH, and MA for the vast majority of my driving life with anything from a Taurus, Neon, Matrix, Elantra...

Of course, only the matrix helps with sleeping in the back (unless it's a taurus wagon)

marc801

Aug 30, 2012, 3:04 PM
Post #25 of 42 (13102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I personally love my Suburban 2wd. It gets 18mpg highway and will carry and tow more than just about any vehicle. It has great ground clearance and will go places where cars like Outbacks bottom out.
Suburban = Chevy pick-up truck with an SUV body.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook