RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bubbs

Sep 1, 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #1 of 5 (4538 views)
Shortcut

Pain inside arm
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys,

This is my first post, I'm from the UK and just got into climbing. Been doing it for around 3-4 months so far and really enjoying it.

However..

While I'm climbing, sometimes I find I climb really well and have no pain anywhere and then sometimes I go and a serious pain develops in my inside arm*.

*Other side of my elbow where it connects to bicep (antecubital area).

I think I must be trying to pull myself up with one arm which is straining in the tendons/muscle in my arms. The other day I came out of the climbing centre with both arms screaming in pain and it took about 1-2 hours to subside.

Is this a common issue? and if so what can I do to avoid it?

Sorry if this has been posted countless times before, I just want to know where my technique is faltering and forcing me to climb like I ride the happy bus to school.

Thanks in advance,

acorneau

Sep 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bubbs] Pain inside arm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bubbs wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post, I'm from the UK and just got into climbing. Been doing it for around 3-4 months so far and really enjoying it.

However..

While I'm climbing, sometimes I find I climb really well and have no pain anywhere and then sometimes I go and a serious pain develops in my inside arm*.

*Other side of my elbow where it connects to bicep (antecubital area).

I think I must be trying to pull myself up with one arm which is straining in the tendons/muscle in my arms. The other day I came out of the climbing centre with both arms screaming in pain and it took about 1-2 hours to subside.

Is this a common issue? and if so what can I do to avoid it?

Sorry if this has been posted countless times before, I just want to know where my technique is faltering and forcing me to climb like I ride the happy bus to school.

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the club, glad you're enjoying climbing.

There's a big difference between being a little sore and being in pain. Pain is your body's way to tell you you're doing damage. You should listen to what it's telling you and stop when you're in pain.

Muscles can get stronger much faster than your tendons, so you have to slow down your progress and let your tendons catch up or else you risk severe and/or lengthy injury.

Oh, and one muscle is still "biceps" not "bicep".

Good luck.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Sep 1, 2012, 12:46 PM)

sbaclimber

Sep 1, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Pain inside arm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Oh, and one muscle is still "biceps" not "bicep".
Hunh, wellillbedamned, you learn something every day (even on RC.com).Cool

wonderwoman

Sep 4, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you'll get more good info in the injury treatment and prevention forum, so I have moved your post here.

DemolitionRed

Sep 4, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Bubbs,
Sounds like you are getting 'overuse syndrome' and you need to ease up.
Do you warm up by doing lots of arm stretching exercises?
Do your arms get swollen after climbing?
What normally tends to happen when this area if put under repeated stress is micro-trauma to the tendons. Any achy bits should be eased with anti-inflammatory, ice and rest but if you refuse to rest you are going to end up causing more damage and probably get tendinitis. The fact that you are in so much pain but not always makes me wonder if you have radial nerve problems.
If you don't want to end up with your arms in splints, rest and give yourself time to recover properly.
STOP pulling yourself up with one arm and start concentrating on your footwork, core strength and center of balance.

All the best and happy climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook