RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Ultraviolet77

Aug 31, 2012, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Good climbing areas in July?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

Can anyone suggest some good climbing areas to climb in in July. I'm looking for an area that has little rain at that time of year, with temperatures in the mid 20s to low 30s (degrees C)/mid 70s to high 80s (degrees F). Ideally this place would have cheap food and accommodation costs.

i'm trying to escape a month of Australian winter next year!

Thanks.

granite_grrl

Aug 31, 2012, 2:52 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ultraviolet77] Good climbing areas in July? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Candian Rockies can offer pretty idea conditions around that time of year (mid to maybe even low 20s if I recall). Pretty dry too. Looks at the stuff around Canmore and Banff in Alberta.

Otherwise Squamish in British Columbia is supossed to be a good summer location too. It's going to be wetter there than on the Alberta side of the rockies though.

But one thing you didn't mention was what kind of climbing you were interested in. That will really guide you to ideal climbing area.

Ultraviolet77

Sep 2, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Good climbing areas in July? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. We would be interested in sports climbing (usually single-pitch). Are the food and accommodation in the areas you mentioned quite cheap? I would love to climb in Canada; the only turn-off would be that the flight from Australia to Canada is painfully long!

jp_sucks

Sep 5, 2012, 9:20 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Banff is NOT cheap, especially in the summer months. You can get by on a budget at hostels, etc and buying all your food at a grocery store and cooking yourself. Don't expect to stay in hotels and eat at restaurants there though if you're on a budget!

Squamish used to be pretty cheap but I haven't been there in years now. Guessing prices have gone up a lot but someone else can probably answer that one better.

You could also try Skaha (Penticton, BC) which you can do somewhat on the cheap but the temps will be pretty hot in July. Good news is there's lots in the shade and you can jump in the lake after to cool off.

jp_sucks

Sep 5, 2012, 9:23 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have said though that compared to costs in Australia, everything in Canada will seem cheap. I was referring to costs compared to other areas in Canada.

If you rent a car to get around and camp, you can easily put together a nice one month roadtrip in BC and Alberta at a low cost.

Ultraviolet77

Sep 6, 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Good climbing areas in July? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

Thanks for your helpful reply. You're right - everything in Canada will seem cheap compared with Australia!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook