Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Off to lesotho/madagascar/mozambique, and need your advice!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

secretninja

Sep 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Off to lesotho/madagascar/mozambique, and need your advice!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys,
I was hoping you could help me out. I'm off for a few months on a trip to south africa, mozambique, and madagascar for some climbing/surf/fishing etc. I've found lots of info for the main climbing areas in south africa (rocklands/table mountain/mossel bay etc), however, I'm having trouble finding info (guidebooks, topos, etc) for the rest. Just wondering if anyone has any info they'd like to pass along with regards to these areas. Do any guidebooks exist for these areas? I'm used to climbing in north america, whjere there is a guidebook for every little crag from mexico to anchorage, and so I'm finding the lack of info a bit frustrating. I'm looking mainly to boulder/sport climb, due mainly to the fact that space and weight is an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cam

karlbase

Sep 9, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] Off to lesotho/madagascar/mozambique, and need your advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Cam, a good start would be www.climb.co.za
look under the routes wiki. there are publications available at any climbing retail outlet for all the sport crags and a really good one for the bouldering at Rocklands.
When do you plan to come over and for how long?

secretninja

Sep 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karlbase] Off to lesotho/madagascar/mozambique, and need your advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help! That site is great and I'll definitely be using it for my time in south africa. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any info on it for madagascar. Any advice? I leave the end of september and come back early january.

Cam

technogeekery

Sep 9, 2012, 8:58 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] Off to lesotho/madagascar/mozambique, and need your advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey - there is good climbing all over South Africa, not just Cape Province. In addition to climb.co.za, you might want to contact the Mountain Club of South Africa (google it for the various provincial websites) who can put you in touch with local climbers, and also have info on the latest published guides etc. http://kzn.mcsa.org.za/climbing/route-guides is for Kwazulu-Natal which also includes the Drakensberg (South Africa's real mountains) and Lesotho, which is in the Drakensberg.

Mocambique is awesome for beaches, diving, surfing etc but has had VERY little exploration of the rock there. Up in northern Mocambique there is endless rock in Nampula province - but its truly wild - read http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/high_in_mozambique.htm for some insight... I've spent some time adventuring up there, but its not for the faint-hearted or solo traveller, you should go with someone who really knows southern Africa.

Madagascar - never been there, but sounds like some development has been happening there recently - see http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=35946

Have fun :-)

JAB

Sep 10, 2012, 5:56 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a good article about Madagascar with logistics info. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...-to-madagascar-en-gb

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook