RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Matthew0718

Sep 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6626 views)
Shortcut

Lead test
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I plan on taking the lead test again at my local gym. First time I did it I was pretty jumpy, butterflys out the gazoo. The route they make you climb slopes outwards so its impossible to keep a center of balance like on some routes. I failed the test needless to say, I fell before the designated fall point. Maybe it was just the butterflys that made me fail or maybe because I was climbing that kind of route poorly. Any suggestions on how to climb a route that slopes out?

acorneau

Sep 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Matthew0718] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:
So, I plan on taking the lead test again at my local gym. First time I did it I was pretty jumpy, butterflys out the gazoo. The route they make you climb slopes outwards so its impossible to keep a center of balance like on some routes. I failed the test needless to say, I fell before the designated fall point. Maybe it was just the butterflys that made me fail or maybe because I was climbing that kind of route poorly. Any suggestions on how to climb a route that slopes out?

Crazy

Don't try to climb it like a vertical (or slab) climb, i.e. "froggy style", balance hand to opposite foot. If you don't understand how that works get someone at the gym to show you.

mheyman

Sep 11, 2012, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They have to give you the means to practice somehow or they'd have a very small clientele. Use that means until you are truly ready.

You might truly be ready now and just have been nervous. We can't tell online.

(This post was edited by mheyman on Sep 11, 2012, 4:02 AM)

r3dey3

Sep 11, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mheyman wrote:
They have to give you the means to practice somehow or they'd have a very small clientele. Use that means until you are truly ready.

You might truly be ready now and just have been nervous. We can't tell online.

See if they will let you follow after somebody has already lead it. That way you can get a feel for the route and where you have to clip. When I'm helping people learn to lead it's the first thing I have them do.

Matthew0718

Sep 11, 2012, 2:18 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [r3dey3] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure my gym allows that, pretty strict rules there

teo916

Sep 11, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will they let you mock lead while on top rope?

Rudmin

Sep 11, 2012, 5:09 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

Crazy

Don't try to climb it like a vertical (or slab) climb, i.e. "froggy style", balance hand to opposite foot. If you don't understand how that works get someone at the gym to show you.

If you find yourself splayed out on an overhang, so your legs and arms are spread apart, you are probably doing it wrong, or incredibly strong.

lena_chita

Sep 11, 2012, 5:41 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any overhanging routes in the gym that you could climb on toprope/

JasonsDrivingForce

Sep 13, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Are there any overhanging routes in the gym that you could climb on toprope/

or Boulder them would work as well.

gblauer

Sep 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a different point of view...

Why are you in such a hurry to take the lead test? Why don't you work on your climbing skills, strength and endurance so that when it's time to take the test you will pass with ease.

I have often observed that folks who take the test too early (i.e. before they have the requisite skills) tend to have some pretty close calls on those early days of leading (decking etc).

Slow down, enjoy the journey, watch others climb, work on your own technique. You will know when you are ready to pass the test.

Fred20

Sep 14, 2012, 7:18 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like L_C and gbla's advice above

My gym is not tall at all and there are about 3 clips before you are on the ceiling (2 story building).

Sounds like your gym is like mine which means not only will it be difficult to pass the lead test, but once you do, the only route you can climb will run across the ceiling (like my gym)

I thought I was ready for lead, but decked. By God's grace I landed like a cat and walked away unscathed. It was my fault for getting tunnel vision and passing some clips, but it was also my belayer's instructor's fault for letting me get that far out.

In the end, no harm no foul. Had I been injured(easily a possibility) I would have been unhappy to say the least with the instructor.

If the route is just a tough route, be patient and climb until you can do it confidently, otherwise you are asking to take a fall.

DemolitionRed

Sep 15, 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #12 of 13 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] Lead test [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We are not required to do lead tests over here so I had to look up the grade expected.
Not sure if this is uniform but SR put you on a 5.9 route. Now that's fine so long as you are already proficiently climbing a 5.9 with overhangs.
Once you are proficiently climbing 5.9s with overhangs on a top rope, practice removing one hand from the holds every time you reach a bolt and mimic putting a quick draw and clipping your rope in. When you can do this without getting muscle fatigue you are ready to take the test.

These are very short routes and shouldn't be taking much over a minute to complete which in itself makes it an anaerobic endurance challenge.
A lot of climbers run to the weights and fingerboards because they believe its lack of brute strength that is letting them down, when quite often its technique and cardiovascular fitness you need to be paying more attention to.

(This post was edited by DemolitionRed on Sep 15, 2012, 10:29 AM)

david7896

Sep 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

climb outside....where god tests your skills

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook