RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

csiebsen

Sep 12, 2012, 4:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3383 views)
Shortcut

"real" yoga vs. P90x yoga
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been doing the yoga disk in P90x and P90x2 for over a year and have really started to enjoy the workout. I think it complements climbing really well.

I've been wondering if I should look into a "real" yoga class, however, to get better variety and some expert feedback on my technique. On the other hand, I enjoy the convenience of firing up the DVD in my living room whenever I want.

Any yoga-climbers out there care to share an opinion?

Thanks

granite_grrl

Sep 12, 2012, 7:14 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] "real" yoga vs. P90x yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

P90X yoga made me want to shoot myself in the face. It was an okay workout, but there was little flow to it and it lacked emphisis on movement with breath.

Definitly go and try a real class. I would suggest finding a "vinyassa" or "power" if you want something with similar intensity. A class will still be quite different though, with more emphisis on things like correct alignment rather than making a pose more difficult.

pedro_sandchez

Sep 12, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the original P90x yoga disk quite a few times a few years ago.
From what I remember it was most like what a typical studio would call Power Venyasa. So your best bet is to start there since it will feel the most familiar. However, I don't really like power yoga for climbing because it isn't a good 'recovery' exercise which is what I'm after with Yoga.

I do yoga 3-4 times a week and occasionally go on 30 day binges where I do a class every single day. I've been to pretty much every style of class that is offered here in Austin and so far the one that I think helps/compliments my climbing the best is Bikram Yoga.

Bikram is a serious psychological battle. Forcing yourself to stay in a sweaty 104 degree room for 90 minutes is extremely challenging and I honestly think the mental aspect of it has helped my climbing. You learn after several consecutive days to overcome it and focus on the movement/posture. I find myself better able to deal with scary clips and difficult situations as a result of this 'psychological' training. You really do learn to "focus one point and breath" which, IMO, applies to climbing at your limit very well.
Bikram is also very structures so you actually master the postures. It isn't the result of some 20 year old instructor thinking "it's fun to move from this posture to that one, let's do that". It's the result of specifically chosen postures to work/restore targeted parts of your body. Every posture has a specific purpose and you really can feel the benefits.

A lot of 'yogis' hate the politics associated with Bikram (just google bikram yoga and you'll see what I mean), but all I care about is the workout and the results.

njrox

Sep 12, 2012, 7:38 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pedro_sandchez] "real" yoga vs. P90x yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually have a copy of P90X yoga. Never watched it, or any other of the P90X videos. I've heard good things from people who followed through and did the 90 days or whatever.

But, back to yoga or "real" yoga.

I used to do 90 minutes of yoga on Sundays. I called it my "active rest day". I'm not sure what type of yoga it was, but I always found it challenging and at the same time relaxing. Stretching, reaching, and holding a pose or body position is certainly a part of climbing. So as a supplement to actual climbing, yoga is good.

I saw that Pedro brought up Bikram and I couldn't help throwing in my 2 cents.

My wife is a big fan of Bikram and got me to try it. First time, I thought I would die. I can honestly say my first class was one of the most grueling physical and mental experiences I ever had. And I couldn't wait to come back for more! We have a studio nearby but unfortunately work-commute time restraints, their class schedule, and a new baby have made it difficult bordering on impossible to go regularly. The politics of Bikram and pretty silly, and I actually don't do the hyper-knee pose but other than that, it's a fantastic workout.

saint_john

Sep 12, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
I've been doing the yoga disk in P90x and P90x2 for over a year and have really started to enjoy the workout. I think it complements climbing really well.

I've been wondering if I should look into a "real" yoga class, however, to get better variety and some expert feedback on my technique. On the other hand, I enjoy the convenience of firing up the DVD in my living room whenever I want.

Any yoga-climbers out there care to share an opinion?

Thanks

Yes. You should go to a real yoga class. You need an instructor to teach you proper form and technique.

Matthew0718

Sep 12, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am on week three of the p90x workout and I can say I really hate the yoga...painfully and it rushes me so my form really sucks

jeepnphreak

Sep 13, 2012, 2:03 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to a real yoga class,
The instructer will/can go at a pace that will keep injury form happening, teach proper breathing and form.
plus there are cute girls in tight cloths to help pass the time

gogounou

Sep 13, 2012, 6:12 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This very much depends on what you want to get out of yoga - and what parts of your climbing needs the most work. For me (and as granite_grrl mentioned) "movement with breath" is the skill that I find the most value in bringing from yoga into climbing. It helps me to stay calm(er...) and breath more steadily (instead of holding my breath, which I used to be terrible about) when I'm climbing at my limit.

If you're looking for something similar, you'd likely get much more out of a class - particularly one with a good instructor.

J

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook