Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3736 3737 3738 3739 3740 3741 3742 3743 3744 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

dr_feelgood

Sep 12, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #93476 of 105309 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So gerks, this town doesn't have a city composting system. This is the first time since I was a little girl that I've been throwing organics right into the garbage and I don't like it.

The last place had a composter in the back yard, but there's not room for that kind of setup at my new place. So I'd like to setup a worm compost.

I plan on buying one of those roughneck rubbermaid bins that are a good size for your camping food bin tonight. Beyond that I see a few conflicting reports on where you're supossed to drill holes, etc. Setup suggestions appreciated.
Make sure you leave it outside. Otherwise you will have to make fruit fly traps.

dr_feelgood

Sep 12, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #93477 of 105309 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosnore] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoops

dr_feelgood

Sep 12, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #93478 of 105309 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

miscount

dr_feelgood

Sep 12, 2012, 4:07 PM
Post #93479 of 105309 (3373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

either that, or I hit the back button too soon. Oh well.

snoopy138

Sep 12, 2012, 4:25 PM
Post #93480 of 105309 (3368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So gerks, this town doesn't have a city composting system. This is the first time since I was a little girl that I've been throwing organics right into the garbage and I don't like it.

The last place had a composter in the back yard, but there's not room for that kind of setup at my new place. So I'd like to setup a worm compost.

I plan on buying one of those roughneck rubbermaid bins that are a good size for your camping food bin tonight. Beyond that I see a few conflicting reports on where you're supossed to drill holes, etc. Setup suggestions appreciated.

ask blutarski? he had one of those things going, at least at their previous place before he became his wife's tenant.

granite_grrl

Sep 12, 2012, 4:48 PM
Post #93481 of 105309 (3364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

You silly canuckians. I have never lived in a place that DID have city composting. I mean, yeah, maybe if you hauled stuff to the landfill yourself they MIGHT have a big compost pile, but beyond that, us rugged individualist capitalists have always been on our own (and without the use of our legs, I might add).

That's all I have to say. Not sure how to set up a worm compost, though our bin does have worm in it. They seem pretty psyched on their setup.
When we started composting when I was a kid we didn't have city composting yet, but my parents have a big back yard and a couple of thos black composters.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the composting program was fully in place when I was in university out in Halifax. I'd like to think that it was, but I'm really not sure. Thsy certainly have it now though and the city also collects the compost from out where my parents live.

The entire time I've lived in Ontario though they've had city composting. It's nice because they'll take all sthose things you wouldn't put in your own pile (like fat and bones). The city of St. Catharines even started taking used clumping kitty litter a few years ago!

granite_grrl

Sep 12, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #93482 of 105309 (3363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Make sure you leave it outside. Otherwise you will have to make fruit fly traps.

I doubt it would survive the winter if I left it outside though.

Partner camhead

Sep 12, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #93483 of 105309 (3359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

It would if it was big enough (like, bigger than a bin, unfortunately). Our patio pile does fine through the winter.

dr_feelgood

Sep 12, 2012, 7:14 PM
Post #93484 of 105309 (3353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

If your mixture is good(i.e. lots of leaves and scrap material, and you have a healthy bacteria population, it'll stay warm. If not, the freeze-thaw-rot-freeze will weaken all the cellular walls, and make it quick to compost in the spring.

granite_grrl

Sep 12, 2012, 7:41 PM
Post #93485 of 105309 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

If your mixture is good(i.e. lots of leaves and scrap material, and you have a healthy bacteria population, it'll stay warm. If not, the freeze-thaw-rot-freeze will weaken all the cellular walls, and make it quick to compost in the spring.

I'm talking the worms, not compost. Worms don't freeze well.

Partner camhead

Sep 12, 2012, 7:45 PM
Post #93486 of 105309 (3347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Worms would survive if the pile was big enough. If not, they'll just make good compost with their rotting corpses. Like Doc said, it's win/win.

carabiner96

Sep 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #93487 of 105309 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Keep it inside. I keep mine in my pantry. There's no smell whatsoever unless you dump a ton of onions in it, but then it just smells like onions for a week. Should I refer you to my blog post on worm bins? I'm hind of a big deal in worm comporting.

carabiner96

Sep 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #93488 of 105309 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Keep it inside. I keep mine in my pantry. There's no smell whatsoever unless you dump a ton of onions in it, but then it just smells like onions for a week. Should I refer you to my blog post on worm bins? I'm hind of a big deal in worm comporting.

http://www.leftlanesurfers.blogspot.com/...introduction-to.html

lena_chita

Sep 13, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #93489 of 105309 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

No, it wouldn't. I kept a worm bin in the garage during winter months ( unheated, but still warmer than outside. Worms barely survived, but at least their eggs did, and they repopulated once the weather got warmer.

I keep seeing ads for those worm composter bins that people CLAIM can be kept indoors without causing fruit fly problems or odor, but nobody I know has ever had one. Fruit flies were definitely an issue in summer.

lena_chita

Sep 13, 2012, 2:58 PM
Post #93490 of 105309 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Want to give out specifics? Like the size of the bin, how many/how big the holes are, how many worms/how much bedding did you start with, and how much waste do you generate approximately per week?

Also, how fast do you get compost, how often do you take the compost out, and how do you sift the worms and not-yet-digested garbage from the finished compost?

granite_grrl

Sep 13, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #93491 of 105309 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Want to give out specifics? Like the size of the bin, how many/how big the holes are, how many worms/how much bedding did you start with, and how much waste do you generate approximately per week?

Also, how fast do you get compost, how often do you take the compost out, and how do you sift the worms and not-yet-digested garbage from the finished compost?
Inquiring minds want to know!

carabiner96

Sep 13, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #93492 of 105309 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Inquiring minds want to know!
I thought I had made a follow up post, but like other things, my blog is in the closet behind..well, everything. I'll get on it tonight.

dr_feelgood

Sep 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #93493 of 105309 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[ice tawk]
If all goes according to plan, I should be getting firsties on some ice on sunday.

Not that anyone carez except the monkeys and mo....

carabiner96

Sep 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #93494 of 105309 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
[ice tawk]
If all goes according to plan, I should be getting firsties on some ice on sunday.

It was 80* here today. I'm not sure what this season has in store for me with ice, the front range isn't exactly known for it, though I do expect to get to Ouray a few times where the pitch:walk is much higher.

Partner epoch

Sep 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #93495 of 105309 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad
dr_feelgood wrote:
[ice tawk]

granite_grrl

Sep 15, 2012, 1:57 PM
Post #93496 of 105309 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
[ice tawk]

I would carez more if it wasn't prime rock climbing time.

My ice season won't be as good this year if Nathan is away, but what can you do.

caughtinside

Sep 15, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #93497 of 105309 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
[ice tawk]

I would carez more if it wasn't prime rock climbing time.

My ice season won't be as good this year if Nathan is away, but what can you do.

I wouldn't carez anyway, but gg is korrect. We're in the best 8-12 weeks of rock climbing for most areas in the hemisphere.

caughtinside

Sep 15, 2012, 4:56 PM
Post #93498 of 105309 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

which is ironic because I'm sitting here doing nothing.

Shouldn't have stayed up so late drinking beers and playing video games.

climbs4fun

Sep 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #93499 of 105309 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:

Shouldn't have stayed up so late drinking beers and playing video gamesBLL and playing gheymcube. fixied

climbs4fun

Sep 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #93500 of 105309 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Shouldn't have stayed up so late drinking beers and playing video gamesBLL and playing gheymcube. fixied

PTFTW?

First page Previous page 1 ... 3736 3737 3738 3739 3740 3741 3742 3743 3744 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook