RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cleavoncox

Sep 14, 2012, 1:06 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2576 views)
Shortcut

What does he mean by this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was reading this blog post: http://www.powercompanyclimbing.com/2012/07/how-to-climb-harder-than-other-newbs.html

What does the poster mean by this statement?

"2. 3 or 4 attempts at a route, or 45-60 minutes on boulders that are a few letter grades above my onsight level. These routes or problems should take 5 or 6 attempts max to send. Once you've sent, be sure to repeat them regularly. Getting better isn't a fluke... so don't be scared to ruin the "feeling" of sending something hard for you. Eventually it will be a warm up. "

Do they mean that If I'm able to send V3 with no issues, I should only spend 5-6 attempts on a V4? And if I cant do it within that, I should go back to 3s?

Thanks for the help.

6pacfershur

Sep 14, 2012, 2:23 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cleavoncox] What does he mean by this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

its meaningless......pay no attention to interweb blogs, go climb

shotwell

Sep 14, 2012, 6:11 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cleavoncox] What does he mean by this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cleavoncox wrote:
So I was reading this blog post: http://www.powercompanyclimbing.com/2012/07/how-to-climb-harder-than-other-newbs.html

What does the poster mean by this statement?

"2. 3 or 4 attempts at a route, or 45-60 minutes on boulders that are a few letter grades above my onsight level. These routes or problems should take 5 or 6 attempts max to send. Once you've sent, be sure to repeat them regularly. Getting better isn't a fluke... so don't be scared to ruin the "feeling" of sending something hard for you. Eventually it will be a warm up. "

Do they mean that If I'm able to send V3 with no issues, I should only spend 5-6 attempts on a V4? And if I cant do it within that, I should go back to 3s?

Thanks for the help.

He means that if you are sending v3 you should give each individual v4 or v5 you want to work 5 or 6 tries before moving on. Don't stick around and waste time past this, but move on to another problem that challenges you as well. You can try the problems you didn't complete in another session, just don't become obsessed.

The purpose of this is to build a broad base of skill and learn a bunch of new moves. Sticking around on one problem and dialing it in can eventually be useful, but Kris' approach should be very effective in the grade range you're talking about.

J.Haze

Sep 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] What does he mean by this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
its meaningless......pay no attention to interweb blogs, go climb

Said from the guy reading internet forums, which are probably more meaningless than blogs by proficient climbers.

shotwell sums it up nicely, the point is to not waste your training time on one problem when you could be getting more out of other problems/routes. Personally I follow this and it does make a difference, most of the time I get the problem first thing the next session.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook