RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

Marylandclimber

Sep 15, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2262 views)
Shortcut

Gunks climbing fall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wen't to the trapps today and was walking around when i saw possibly a climber being rushed into an ambulance, hope everyone is alright just curious about what happened. I heard from somebody it might have been just a broken leg.

Foolish

Sep 16, 2012, 8:48 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Gunks climbing fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Note: I was not on the ground when this occurred, do not know the parties involved, and do not know exactly what was going on/planned when this accident happened.

The injury occurred near the start of Minty. There is a large block / scramble to get to the start of the climb. The involved party appeared to be a guide with three clients. There also appeared to be several other guide parties nearby.

It is unclear exactly what happened, but the apparent guide seemed to slip and fall from the boulder. He struck his back heavily, rotated in the air, then struck his front body just below, eventually skidding to a rest.

The injured did not appear to have a rack on to start climbing. Very ugly situation. Only upside is that there were several guides nearby to quickly treat the injured. It was very quickly apparent that emergency services were needed, and a quick human chain was setup to move the climber from the cliff face to the carriage road.

I wish only the best to the injured and parties involved; unfortunately I don't know anymore than that. It is a sobering reminder that the worst can happen to anyone on any terrain.

wonderwoman

Sep 18, 2012, 6:45 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Foolish] Gunks climbing fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody put this link up on gunks.com. Looks like there may have been 2 separate accidents that day. This one sounds as if it was rock fall:

https://www.facebook.com/...osts/483596598325145

Best wishes to the injured climber.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook