RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

desertwanderer81

Sep 20, 2012, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3190 views)
Shortcut

Yoga, weights, and beyond!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So about 2 months ago I decided to try my first yoga class. I was amazed to find how much improvement in my climbing there was. In addition, I have found I am much less likely to be injured.

Can anyone recommend specific weight routines which may be complementary to a vinyasa type style? Specifically, I would love to know specific exercises which work muscle groups that yoga and climbing ignore. Ideally I would like to combine gym bouldering with free weight breaks.

I don't really care if it builds useless muscle mass or doesn't particularly help my climbing, I just want a balanced body which doesn't get injured as easily. Plus I plain enjoy working out parts of my body which don't typically get attention!

Wade308

Sep 20, 2012, 9:18 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Yoga, weights, and beyond! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Deadlifts, squats, lunges, kettle bell swings, dumbbell rows, flys and presses.

I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercises. Do some burpees, heavy bag training and anything involving jumping for cardio and endurance. Pull-ups, push-ups, planks, sit-ups, etc.

Start slow and light on the weights and concentrate on your form. Always think: Back straight, shoulders to the back and head up, for most exercises. If you feel your form getting sloppy, stop so you don't jack yourself up.

csiebsen

Sep 26, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Yoga, weights, and beyond! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
I don't really care if it builds useless muscle mass or doesn't particularly help my climbing, I just want a balanced body which doesn't get injured as easily. Plus I plain enjoy working out parts of my body which don't typically get attention!

You might try looking into P90x. It's pretty thorough about hitting all the body muscles and has a good cardio / strength balance. I also appreciate the convenience in just poping in a DVD and using a set of dumbbells. There is a yoga component but you would probably skip that since you already do yoga.

One caution is to not over do it. Listen to your body, the program is pretty intense so you want to avoid injury.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook