Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

CRV

Sep 23, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7397 views)
Shortcut

Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The page for this park is http://www.facebook.com/cherokeerockvillage

The site is commonly called Sand Rock due to it being close to the city of sand rock. It is also called Little Rock City but its OFFICIAL name is Cherokee Rock Village.

Visit the page, like it and upload some photos. Be safe out there!

(This post was edited by CRV on Sep 23, 2012, 1:59 AM)

skellie

Sep 23, 2012, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CRV] Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Put something useful on there and maybe I'll like it. It's not called Little Rock City either, that's near Chattanooga.

(This post was edited by skellie on Sep 24, 2012, 7:26 PM)

Claymsmith

Oct 13, 2012, 5:12 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skellie] Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard it called "Little Rock City" before but yeah, thats pretty much wrong. I only really every heard it called Sandrock. Even the locals at the Waffle House call it that.

Edit: Great page, We're heading there this weekend. I'll try to put some route specific pics up and general park construction pics.

(This post was edited by Claymsmith on Oct 13, 2012, 5:13 AM)

CRV

Nov 7, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skellie] Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skellie wrote:
Put something useful on there and maybe I'll like it. It's not called Little Rock City either, that's near Chattanooga.

Skellie, I thank you for your input. However me being a local i can correct you by saying the park WAS named Little Rock City prior to 1984 when the Parks and Rec Board of Cherokee County deemed it "Cherokee Rock Village". You are thinking of just "Rock City" in Chattanooga.

And as far as the rest of your negative and "overall" completely useless post. There has been a lot of information updated on the facebook page. Plus a Website (primitive) has been developed and sits at www.cherokeerorockvillage.org

I would say check it out, but you seem to be a pessimist based on first impressions..

Everyone else,

I would like to announce that Cherokee Rock Village now has a website!

Visit it at: http://www.cherokeerockvillage.org

There is a forum and soon will have more information regarding the rocks and the routes with pictures and diagrams compliments of Dixie Cragger's.

Thanks!

pegsablaze

Nov 8, 2012, 5:16 AM
Post #5 of 9 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CRV] Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Skellie, I thank you for your input. However me being a local i can correct you by saying the park WAS named Little Rock City prior to 1984 when the Parks and Rec Board of Cherokee County deemed it "Cherokee Rock Village". You are thinking of just "Rock City" in Chattanooga.

You are categorically incorrect. Little Rock City, i.e. Stone Fort, is located in Soddy Daisy, TN. Rock City, known from the "See Rock City!" signs littering the Southeast, is located atop Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, TN.

In reply to:
I would like to announce that Cherokee Rock Village now has a website!

This website never loads, so no, SANDROCK doesn't have an active website.

Little Rock CIty/ Stone Fort website: http://www.seclimbers.org/...ile=little-rock-city

Rock City website: http://seerockcity.com/...t-Rock-City-Gardens/

CRV

Nov 8, 2012, 6:21 AM
Post #6 of 9 (6906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pegsablaze] Cherokee Rock Village / Sand Rock / Little Rock City Alabama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasnt aware of the Stone Fort (as im just affiliated with the parks and rec board for Cherokee County, AL) but thanks for correcting me.

Prior or 84 the park was legally called little rock city here. And regarding it being called Sand Rock.. A lot of rock climbing book "Chris Watford" Specifically even admits to it being called cherokee rock village but the problem with calling it that is there is no lookup on any map paper or virtial with taht name on it

So in a couple days our listing will be on bing maps and google.. and chris is even updating his next copy of Dixie Cragger's with the new dual name "Sand Rock / Cherokee Rock Village"

Thanks for you information tho! :)

Oh.. website should be fixed.. i've been working on it all day and had the server down.

CRV

Nov 8, 2012, 6:30 AM
Post #7 of 9 (6904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHh i see whats wrong now.. when i left about 2 hours ago.. i forgot to forward the port to the new server.. changed ip's and forgot to update router.

skellie

Nov 8, 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're affiliated with the Parks & Recreation Board of Cherokee County, AL you say?
I'm just curious how you justify everything that's been done to Sand Rock in the last year or two? I know quite a few climbers who are upset about having their campsites paved over, paying a daily use fee, etc, but maybe there's a good explanation for it.

amyjs82

Apr 4, 2013, 8:12 PM
Post #9 of 9 (6279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We can argue all day about what it is called... the fact of the matter is the sign associated with the area you are talking about is Cherokee Rock Village..... I have lived in the TOWN of Sand Rock my whole life, my address reads Sand Rock, Al and I don not live near this area so please keep in mind that just because the area you are climbing may be in the TOWN of Sand Rock, it in itself is not called Sand Rock. If you are trying to find this area by asking locals you may need to ask where Little Rock City is, regardless of if it was ever OFFICIALLY named that, many of the locals, especially the older ones, know this area as Little Rock City. You can argue all you want about the name, how redneck we are, how you don't like the changes, etc etc etc.... and maybe we don't either but you should at least respect those of us that call the town of Sand Rock home and come clean up after those of you that vandalize Cherokee Rock Village so that those of you who know how to act can enjoy it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook