RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Gcollin

Sep 26, 2012, 5:54 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2390 views)
Shortcut

Gear Retrieval Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, my name Collin and I'm planning on starting into rock climbing at the start of next summer and I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with.

1: How do you retrieve a belay anchor if for example you use a runner and a carabiner to attach your rope to a tree to belay down?

2: What are the best things to belay from?

3: Does Mammut make a credible rope?

4: I found a pair of shoes that I am planning on buying, Evolv Royale climbing shoe, I've seen only good reviews about them but what do you think?, are they a good beginners shoe?

skellie

Sep 26, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gcollin] Gear Retrieval Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1 & 2: These questions can not be answered by the internet. Get a qualified instructor. Don't put your life in the hands of some fool on an internet forum.

3: Yes

4: For a beginner, you probably won't know the difference. You'll probably wear out at least one pair of shoes before you'll notice the difference between a good shoe and a great shoe.

Partner cracklover

Sep 26, 2012, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gcollin] Gear Retrieval Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gcollin wrote:
Hi, my name Collin and I'm planning on starting into rock climbing at the start of next summer and I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with.

Hi Collin! I, too, would suggest you buy a book. But I'll answer your questions:

Q1: How do you retrieve a belay anchor if for example you use a runner and a carabiner to attach your rope to a tree to belay down?

A1: I don't, I consider it a sacrifice to the climber gods, and do not retrieve it. Note: if you are a beginner and find yourself in this situation, you either did something wrong, or you're really into adventure climbing (or both).

Q2: What are the best things to belay from?

A2: Any good anchor. A few examples of good anchors would be: a good traditionally placed gear anchor with three pieces, well equalized; a pair of modern bolts with two draws opposite and opposed; or a BFT (Big Fuckin' Tree) with a static rope around it.

Q3: Does Mammut make a credible rope?

A3: While I have owned a number of Mammut ropes, I have honestly never thought to ask one of them a question, and none have ever volunteered any statements that I could use to test their credibility. So I'm afraid I do not know the answer to this one.

Q4: I found a pair of shoes that I am planning on buying, Evolv Royale climbing shoe, I've seen only good reviews about them but what do you think?, are they a good beginners shoe?

A4: I've never owned one, but from what I can see online, it looks fine. The two most important thing about your first pair of climbing shoes are:

1 - Cheap
2 - Fits perfectly, and is comfortable.

And since you'll probably ignore #2, (nothing personal, no-one ever gets the best fitting shoe their first try) #1 is really all that's important, since you'll almost certainly be buying another pair once you realize what really fits you. That's assuming you stick with climbing. If you don't, then #1 is all that matters.

Looks like the shoe you like is $80 retail, so that's a fine choice.

Cheers,

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Sep 26, 2012, 4:47 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook