chadnsc

Sep 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Fleece lined softshell?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello scumunity!

I'm wondering if any of you can use your interweb powers for good and recommend a decent fleece lined softshell for me.

Nothing fancy or bomb proof, just a simple fleece jacket with a barrier to block the wind.

Thoughts, ideas, insults?

Thanks!

petsfed

Sep 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Fleece lined softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Patagonia Northwall Jacket

I recommend it mostly because I've been lusting after it for the last two years.

Chances are, if its properly built, you don't need both the softshell material and a wind-stopper barrier. All a membrane would do is limit breath-ability.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Sep 25, 2012, 11:44 AM)

chadnsc

Sep 25, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Fleece lined softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the recommendation. Wait a minute, $450! Dang man, no wonder you've been lusting after that jacket for years. At that price I'd have to sell my one remaining testicle to afford it.

I apologize if my OP was poorly written but I'm not looking for a soft shell and wind stopper barrier. I'm looking for a soft shell or wind stopping barrier AND a fleece.

Living around Lake Superior fall, early winter, and spring often are cold (20 F) and windy. While I do have softshells they aren't insulated as I use them when I'm active. My puffy belay jackets are all too warm for anything except full on winter. I suppose I could layer but I want to be hip and have just one jacket.

I know, I know, I'm a picky S.O.B. Wink

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Sep 25, 2012, 1:16 PM)

petsfed

Sep 25, 2012, 3:41 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.beyondfleece.com

I own their Cold Fusion jacket, and while I don't like it for climbing, its great for around town. Not as warm as others though.

They do make a pretty slick windproof fleece jacket as well, but with all the custom stuff, it can push $300.

Also, they make all their coats to fit your measurements.

Partner epoch

Sep 25, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a super fan of my Patagonia Winter Guide jacket. However, they stopped making it a few years ago. My first soft shell was a Marmot. Regardless, I would recommend, if you can find one, getting one with a hood. I swear by having one, cause when you want one it's nice to just flip it up.

qwert

Sep 26, 2012, 8:59 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
I'm looking for a soft shell or wind stopping barrier AND a fleece.
so you want two seperate pieces of clothing?
In reply to:
I suppose I could layer but I want to be hip and have just one jacket.
so you want one piece of clothing?

If its two:
buy a softshell and a fleece jacket that you like, can afford and that fits you. Wear both at once. voila, fleece lined softshell.

If its one:
Softshells got really confusing over the time. Back when the concept first appeared, it seemed that they by definition do not have a membrane, and always have some kind of fleece lining, with its thickness depending on the intended use.
Now its a confusing heap of various concepts, that are essentially fleece shirts with a nonfuzzy outer side on the one end, and full blown imma gonna sweat my balls off hardshells at the other end.
Just try to find an "oldschool" non membrane softshell. those should have a fleece lining.
Personally i really love my arcteryx gamma SV. Built like a tank, quite warm, but still quite breathable.

qwert

chadnsc

Sep 26, 2012, 9:55 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Fleece lined softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno, I thought asking for a fleece lined softshell was rather easy to understand. Then again I don't spell too well.Crazy

I have a couple of softshells, one very thin, one thicker with the fuzzy linging but neither are large enough to layer a decent weight fleece under it.

I do like the Arcteryx brand quite a bit. I think I'll have to look into that model you recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation!

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Sep 26, 2012, 9:57 AM)

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.06 (10% off)
$10.89 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook