Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BNPrather

Sep 24, 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #1 of 33 (21824 views)
Shortcut

What rope should I buy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started climbing a couple months ago in the gym, and fell in love with the sport. I've recently started going out with fellow climbers to do sport climbing. I'm looking to purchase a rope for myself, any suggestions? I haven't started leading just yet, but here in the next couple weeks I will be so the rope should be durable enough for top roping for awhile as well. I would like to find a good, durable rope that won't break me financially.

Matthew0718

Sep 25, 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #2 of 33 (21740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BNPrather] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well since your just sport climbing on single pitch routes I would suggest a rope by sterling. 10.4 diameter and 60 meters. Dry treated is not needed unless you will be climbing ice or alpine and bi pattern is not needed unless you are doing some long rappel situations. But if you have the cash go ahead and shell out the extra money for dry treated by bi pattern. Also If you start leading indoors dont use that 200 doller rope. I suggest you buy a 20 meter rope for indoors. Don't use the expensive rope for indoors.

markc

Sep 25, 2012, 1:59 PM
Post #3 of 33 (21735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Matthew0718] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:
Well since your just sport climbing on single pitch routes I would suggest a rope by sterling. 10.4 diameter and 60 meters. Dry treated is not needed unless you will be climbing ice or alpine and bi pattern is not needed unless you are doing some long rappel situations. But if you have the cash go ahead and shell out the extra money for dry treated by bi pattern. Also If you start leading indoors dont use that 200 doller rope. I suggest you buy a 20 meter rope for indoors. Don't use the expensive rope for indoors.

To follow up on this advice, I'd do some research and buy the cheapest 60m rope you can in the 10.2 - 10.5mm range. That's a good diameter for an all-around rope. I agree that it's unnecessary at this point to worry about dry-treated, bi-weave, etc.

A site like http://www.spadout.com can help you compare prices, and I've scored a really inexpensive rope through a daily deal through Sierra Trading Post. If you're not too worried about the cost, see which of your friend's ropes you really like and go with that.

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 2:03 PM
Post #4 of 33 (21732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Buying a new rope is an investment. I happen to have three ropes, 2 60m at 10.4, and one 70m rope at 9.8. I am no expert on ropes, so I rather shell out the money to buy something that I can rely on to keep me safe.

The 70m ropes are somewhat heavier to carry on long trips, but come in handy on long rappels.

I like my ropes to have something to mark the middle of the rope. It comes in handy for a lot of reasons.

All my ropes are dry treated just in case something happens like getting caught in the rain or whatever. My water-bladder in my backpack leaked all over my rope one day and took forever to dry the rope.

For those who get hooked on outdoor climbing, they want to do more adventurous climbing, which might require more equipment. So, start with 60m rope, enjoy it, learn from the experience, and then plan on saving money for more equipment.

bearbreeder

Sep 25, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #5 of 33 (21714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madkiki] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. if yr cragging you dont need bi-patterns, dry treatment or other fancy stuff ... youll likely wear it out TRing or taking falls, ive worn out dry treatments in less than 2 months climbing everyday

2. if you can buy a 70m if yr sport climbing as with enough falls you may well chop the ends eventually, and some new sport climbs may require a 70m rope

3. a 60m is perfectly acceptable in many places if you find a screaming deal on one ... such as the one you can buy in canada for 85$

4. get a 10-10.3 for yr first rope, youll likely be TRing or falling quite a bit ... you want something durable ... dont go out and get skinny lines for yr first one, TR on it and then watch it get shreaded

ALL certified cheap 10mm+ climbing ropes are safe and will work for yr first rope ... unless yr sending very hard stuff its not the rope that will hold you back

i find it quite funny personally when some guy at the crag starts bragging about his $$$$ rope with fancy patterns and dry treatment ... and all he does is do easy lead and TRs

Wink

DougMartin

Sep 25, 2012, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 33 (21689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Mammut-Supernova-with-Rope-Bag-Package_10177328_10208_10000001_-1_

(I have no idea how make it clicky)

Great first rope. Cheap and you will not feel as guilty when you buy another one next year and retire this to top roping because you trash it.

jeepnphreak

Sep 25, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #7 of 33 (21684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:
Buying a new rope is an investment.

Bull Sh!*, a rope is an expendable pice of gear that may last 1 climb or 500 climbs. They are expensive but not an investment.

madkiki wrote:
I am no expert on ropes, so I rather shell out the money to buy something that I can rely on to keep me safe.

Bull Sh!*!!! Every rope from a reputable manufacture HAS to pass UIAA and CE minimal certification. So every rope will keep you "safe"

For a noob that will do alot of toproping, I recomend finding a fat 10.2-10.5 MM 60 or 70 meter (talk to locals about route height in your area) and cheap.
Check out

http://justropes.com

http://spadout.com

and google ropes on sale. You can find a great rope for 100- 150 that will meet your need.
Now a more expensive rope will get you better handling (supple vs stuffer), dry treating, middle marks ect.

kwdrysdale

Sep 25, 2012, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 33 (21682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
3. a 60m is perfectly acceptable in many places if you find a screaming deal on one ... such as the one you can buy in canada for 85$

Just wondering...where can you get a 60m rope for $85 in Canada?? No sarcasm intended...pure interest. :) I'm also getting back into climbing and would love to be able to pick up a first rope and that sounds like a great deal to me. Thanks!

markc

Sep 25, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #9 of 33 (21666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kwdrysdale] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kwdrysdale wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Just wondering...where can you get a 60m rope for $85 in Canada?? No sarcasm intended...pure interest. :) I'm also getting back into climbing and would love to be able to pick up a first rope and that sounds like a great deal to me. Thanks!

I can't answer that, but last year I bought a Mammut Eiger 10.5mm x 60m from Sierra Trading Post for $75 US. I signed up for their Deal Flyer emails and it was too good a deal to pass up.

A gear shop in my area seems to have store-wide sales every season, and I'm on their mailing list. Places like Gear Express routinely have a couple ropes under $150, which is as much as I'd suggest spending on a first rope you're going to trash. I've found it can be hard to find ropes under $100, but I can consistently find them around $125 for a 60m without much effort (or bells and whistles).

Marylandclimber

Sep 25, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #10 of 33 (21661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the New England Equinox. It's 60m 10.4? in diameter. It's also very dynamic for leading...

billcoe_

Sep 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #11 of 33 (21625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BNPrather wrote:
I started climbing a couple months ago in the gym, and fell in love with the sport. I've recently started going out with fellow climbers to do sport climbing. I'm looking to purchase a rope for myself, any suggestions? I haven't started leading just yet, but here in the next couple weeks I will be so the rope should be durable enough for top roping for awhile as well. I would like to find a good, durable rope that won't break me financially.

Get a fat cheap one for your first rope. UIAA single rated. I own about 20 ropes currently, if I was to be able to only own one instead of 20, it would be fat and cheap. Some damned hard routes were put up with fat 11mil ropes, all this talk to buy is skinny line is so much bullshit.

Fat and cheap. Lots of good choices, most all climbing rope Mfgs (Bluewater, Sterling, Edelrid, Edelweiss, Mammut, Beal, PMI, Tenon, Lanex etc etc) make a fat cheap one.

bearbreeder

Sep 26, 2012, 4:46 AM
Post #12 of 33 (21586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kwdrysdale] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kwdrysdale wrote:

http://www.lacordee.com/...gle-rope/lnx-smart10

99.99$ rope ... add a cheap biner to bring it over $100 for free shipping in canada, use code Natur3 for 15$ off ...

total will be roughly 100$ after taxes and shipping ... takes about a week to get to you

many of my partners have one ... i played the guinea pig last year and it has lasted me a year before blowing out ... but keep in mind i climb 5+ days a week in season and 2-3 days a week off season outdoors ... mine lasted me through skaha, squamish, yosemite, the rockies with over 1000+ pitches ... before finally blowing out on a TR gangbang

i tend to spend my money on gas to the crags rather than $$$$$ ropes for cragging

enjoy Wink

markc

Sep 26, 2012, 1:56 PM
Post #13 of 33 (21551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DougMartin] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DougMartin wrote:
http://www.moosejaw.com/...8_10208_10000001_-1_
(I have no idea how make it clicky)

In the quote/reply screen, there are buttons just under the text box. The next to last is "url" which you just click before and after you paste your link.

DougMartin

Sep 26, 2012, 3:19 PM
Post #14 of 33 (21535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks.

jorgegonzalez

Sep 26, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #15 of 33 (21516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really, thanks from me, too!

guangzhou

Sep 28, 2012, 3:27 AM
Post #16 of 33 (21429 views)
Shortcut

Re: What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OP. According to your profile, you are in TN.

If you're sport climbing in the area, a 60 meter is plenty for you. Even crags that you can top-rope, a 60 meter is plenty.

I live in TN for a few years, Foster Falls, Obed, King's Bluff, T-wall, Start Mountain and Sunset I practically lived at. Southern Illinois was also a very regular destination. I never needed anything more than a 60 meter rope.

Anything in the 10mm range make a nice rope these days. 11mm will last you a long time, but gets heavy. Not heavy enough that I completely avoid them. If you do a lot of top-rope, consider a 11mm for sure.

Cheers,
Eman

hugepedro

Sep 28, 2012, 7:08 AM
Post #17 of 33 (21413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:
All my ropes are dry treated just in case something happens like getting caught in the rain or whatever. My water-bladder in my backpack leaked all over my rope one day and took forever to dry the rope.

Hahahahaha, I have to admit, in all my years of climbing, I've never considered the danger of my bladder leaking on my rope. I feel really stupid now. Thank God I've survived this long!

guangzhou

Sep 28, 2012, 9:58 AM
Post #18 of 33 (21404 views)
Shortcut

Re: What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A dozen trip up a rock route and the dry treatment is gone anyways, especially on easier routes.

I have never owned a dry threated rope. I have been rained on while doing big walls, while rapping off long routes, and I've used some of my old ropes for canyooneering adventures too. Never been a real issue.

If your water bladder soaked your rope so must that your rope took forever to dry, you must carry a very large bladder.

On a side note, wet ropes don't mean less strength, just more weight.

ecade

Sep 28, 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 33 (21384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't agree more with the second replier,

I should have checked where you're from and read the rest of the topic, but am at work and don't like ppl see me on this forum while their, bad for employee morale.

but,
indoors i use
http://www.lacordee.com/...art-10mm/lnx-smart10

I have not used this rope outdoors and I wouldn't, people do, but I find it really dynamic so for top roping I don't think it would be the best.

I really like it, I believe falling indoors is vital to a good session and have beaten the bejezuz out of her... she doesn't get too kinky (get the pun) but I think she is into that shit :) I say that cause she always come back for more.

outdoor sport climbing, I like sterlings 10.1 Marathon Pro
http://www.sterlingrope.com/.../Marathon_Pro_10.1mm

Happy and Safe climbing

(edited to make second sentence make sense)

(This post was edited by ecade on Sep 28, 2012, 3:53 PM)

mikebarter387

Sep 28, 2012, 3:36 PM
Post #20 of 33 (21382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://youtu.be/7_cZHbuLcoY

See if this helps

bearbreeder

Sep 28, 2012, 4:28 PM
Post #21 of 33 (21369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
indoors i use
http://www.lacordee.com/...art-10mm/lnx-smart10

I have not used this rope outdoors and I wouldn't, people do, but I find it really dynamic so for top roping I don't think it would be the best.

its no more stretchy than a beal or eldrid IME ... everyone i know who has one uses it outside ...

if yr worried about the stretch in a top rope, then keep it tight or pretension the rope ...

stretch is what you want for sport whippers as well

it doesnt make sense to use a rope indoors but not use it outside cragging ... either it holds you or it doesnt ... if it fails inside or outside is irrelevant

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Sep 28, 2012, 4:29 PM)

ecade

Sep 28, 2012, 4:51 PM
Post #22 of 33 (21363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

respectfully agree and disagree

I am no scientist or engineer, i could very easily be wrong on everything noted below. but IMHO:

dont know what the stretch is on the beals or eldrids, i believe the tendon's 36%, I think that's pretty high. the sterling is 30%.

I think that its better to get a good belayer than a stretchy rope, an overley stretchy rope makes it hard to judge falls and obstructions. a little slack can go a longer way. but yes stretch makes falls softer, but bigger isn't always better.

on TR, for me at least, its either a project that i'm too scared to try on lead or with noobs, for projects i don't want the rope too tight I want to learn the movements, resovle fear of unkwown etc... not have something acting as too much of an aid. And for noobs they don't like falling and dropping far. and I don't like pulling them up. its a climbing version of marx, the more one attributes to the rope (g-d) the less they attain for themself (paraphrased a while since i read the manifesto)

other issues i omitted, not corroborrated with science (don't know stats) but I think the tendon has a low sheath percentage and would be beaten to hell on my homes choss. I've beaten it to hell at my gym. this point may possibly prove wrong, I should jinvest 5 minutes and corroborate but eh i already bought the darn thing :)

that said, the guy who suggested the rope to me, used it outdoors and loved it. it does have a centre marker.

Again, this is my opinion based on little (read no) controlable science. so take it with a grain of salt.

happy and safe climbing and fun rope debating.

JimTitt

Sep 28, 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #23 of 33 (21336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
1. if yr cragging you dont need bi-patterns, dry treatment or other fancy stuff ... youll likely wear it out TRing or taking falls, ive worn out dry treatments in less than 2 months climbing everyday

2. if you can buy a 70m if yr sport climbing as with enough falls you may well chop the ends eventually, and some new sport climbs may require a 70m rope

4. get a 10-10.3 for yr first rope, youll likely be TRing or falling quite a bit ... you want something durable ... dont go out and get skinny lines for yr first one, TR on it and then watch it get shreaded

ALL certified cheap 10mm+ climbing ropes are safe and will work for yr first rope ... unless yr sending very hard stuff its not the rope that will hold you back

i find it quite funny personally when some guy at the crag starts bragging about his $$$$ rope with fancy patterns and dry treatment ... and all he does is do easy lead and TRs

Wink

We just go for "long enough, strong enough".

bearbreeder

Sep 29, 2012, 9:26 AM
Post #24 of 33 (21287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] What rope should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
respectfully agree and disagree

I am no scientist or engineer, i could very easily be wrong on everything noted below. but IMHO:

dont know what the stretch is on the beals or eldrids, i believe the tendon's 36%, I think that's pretty high. the sterling is 30%.

I think that its better to get a good belayer than a stretchy rope, an overley stretchy rope makes it hard to judge falls and obstructions. a little slack can go a longer way. but yes stretch makes falls softer, but bigger isn't always better.

on TR, for me at least, its either a project that i'm too scared to try on lead or with noobs, for projects i don't want the rope too tight I want to learn the movements, resovle fear of unkwown etc... not have something acting as too much of an aid. And for noobs they don't like falling and dropping far. and I don't like pulling them up. its a climbing version of marx, the more one attributes to the rope (g-d) the less they attain for themself (paraphrased a while since i read the manifesto)

other issues i omitted, not corroborrated with science (don't know stats) but I think the tendon has a low sheath percentage and would be beaten to hell on my homes choss. I've beaten it to hell at my gym. this point may possibly prove wrong, I should jinvest 5 minutes and corroborate but eh i already bought the darn thing :)

that said, the guy who suggested the rope to me, used it outdoors and loved it. it does have a centre marker.

Again, this is my opinion based on little (read no) controlable science. so take it with a grain of salt.

happy and safe climbing and fun rope debating.

incorrect the tendon smart 10m has LESS measured static and roughly the same dynamic stretch than the sterling marathon pro that you use outside

7.2% vs 8.4% static ... which is more applicable for top rope body weight situations

36% v 35.2% dynamic... which means its basically the same

by those specs the sterling marathon pro 10.1 would be "unsuitable" for outdoors by yr reasoning

http://www.lacordee.com/...gle-rope/lnx-smart10

http://www.sterlingrope.com/.../Marathon_Pro_10.1mm

as to the "sheath" not lasting as long ... this is what happened by around pitch 1000+ on my tendon ... i used it for everything from sport whippers, to long multi, to TR gangbangs ... and it just kept on ticking ...

i repeat there there is little reason not to use one particular rope vs, another of roughly the same size and specs for cragging outdoors, especially TR ... the only thing that i can think of would be the ease of handling through autolocking devices ...

if yr worried about rope stretch at the start use a static rope ... the tendon and the sterling have the same measured stretch ...

but then one is cooler and costs $$$$ more than the other Tongue

the tendon smart 10mm 60m is really a 150$+ rope which is what they go for on just ropes when in stock ... however in canada we have the opportunity to buy it for 85 smackaroos and not from some hack on ebay either Wink

http://www.justropes.com/...Rope-10mm-x-60m.aspx

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Sep 29, 2012, 9:43 AM)

ecade

Oct 2, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #25 of 33 (21125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well only really one way to respond when someone refutes every point you make, will consider purchasing a rope next season for TR, any reccomendations, you clearly know your stuff well.

though this is comedic, i do mean it sincerely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwPovyR9HY

On sterling:
I bought my sterling after my petzl zenith sheath tore and exposed the core, it was damn scary, happened while pulling slack to rap at anchors on a sport line. Sterling marathon was the cheapest rope in stock at the local store, needed a rope as the zenith was trashed afterwords and i wanted to climb that weekend. a good lesson i learnt: make sure your belayer is paying attention when pulling up slack to clean, though you might not be "on belay" eyes on the ground are worth having. I learnt the lesson at a price I could afford, and luckily not at one that I don't wish to ever pay.

edited for grammar

(This post was edited by ecade on Oct 2, 2012, 8:04 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook