Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tinet

Aug 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 30 (22743 views)
Shortcut

Core workouts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all I am trying to find out more core exercises that i can do. I know the core is very important in climbing and i been climbing for 2 1/2 years now, all I do is boulder and i enjoy it very much. The core exercises I have been doing are planks, side planks, supermans, crunches, leg lifts, and not sure what they are called but where you lay on your back and hold your legs 6 inches off the ground as long as you can. Any extra ones you guys know would be awesome cause I do core a lot on days I cant clime cause I am taking a rest day for my hands being to sore.
Thank YOU!

eric_k

Aug 2, 2012, 9:03 AM
Post #2 of 30 (22656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tinet] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hanging Knee http://Raises,http:/...ging-knee-raise.html

Ankles to bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B9kCukDUv0

get started with these
Eric

njrox

Aug 2, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #3 of 30 (22618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

back extensions
reverse crunches
rotational exercises
various medicine ball throws

try performing exercises on unstable surfaces like a medicine ball or bosu ball

Partner cracklover

Aug 2, 2012, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 30 (22585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eric_k] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eric_k wrote:
Hanging Knee http://Raises,http:/...ging-knee-raise.html

Ankles to bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B9kCukDUv0

get started with these
Eric

Your first link is messed up. I think you mean http://www.muscleandstrength.com/...ging-knee-raise.html

BTW, I do something similar to that, but I do a version in which I do one exactly like that pictured, then one where I do the same movement, but with my feet slightly off to the right, knees off to the left (hitting the right side muscles); then one reversed so it hits the left side muscles. Repeat all three until failure.

GO

mr.tastycakes

Aug 3, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 30 (22479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

core schmore. Maintaining body tension is a skill. The limiter is coordination, not strength.

Don't trust me? Try this:

http://onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/...y-tension-means.html

csiebsen

Aug 13, 2012, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 30 (22102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

P90x Ab-ripper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPC23HbHJgY&feature=fvwrel

If it doesn't help your climbing you'll at least look great Wink

fredylee

Sep 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #7 of 30 (21506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AbRipperX is a great workout. I am doing AbRipperX twice a week.

Ankle to pull up bar is also good. I am doing it with a slight variation. I am raising my right ankle to reach the left side on my bar, and then the other way around.

ecade

Sep 28, 2012, 1:35 PM
Post #8 of 30 (21425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

can you, or anyone advise.

I have somewhat chronic lower back issues (carrying a pack and canoe for summers on end is bad for your back, who'd have thunk)

Core workouts can really exacerbate it.

Anyone else have a similar issue and or able to advise core work outs that don't kill the lower back as well as work outs that work the lower back.

I could be wrong, often am, but I'd think the two are alternating muscles (or whatever the word is, they're sort of the inverse of eachother)

dankeshen

granite_grrl

Sep 28, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #9 of 30 (21409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:

I have somewhat chronic lower back issues (carrying a pack and canoe for summers on end is bad for your back, who'd have thunk)

Anyone else have a similar issue and or able to advise core work outs that don't kill the lower back as well as work outs that work the lower back.

I could be wrong, often am, but I'd think the two are alternating muscles (or whatever the word is, they're sort of the inverse of eachother)

dankeshen

A strong core helps support the back.

I remember doing the P90X abripper and finding it hurting my back more than it helped. The motions were just too big and it didn't work the deeper muscles as well as I needed.

I can't specifically recomend exercises, but consider going to a couple of pilates classes. Explain your issues to the instructor and they will help you modify (or substitute) exercises that aggravate your back.

njrox

Sep 28, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #10 of 30 (21408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
core schmore. Maintaining body tension is a skill.

Your "core" produces body tension. People think that the core is just your "abs". The core consists of the muscles attached to your spine to your pelvis to your extremities.

njrox

Sep 28, 2012, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 30 (21402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:

agonist, and antagonist.

ecade

Sep 28, 2012, 3:49 PM
Post #12 of 30 (21386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
ecade wrote:

dankeshen

I can't specifically recomend exercises, but consider going to a couple of pilates classes. Explain your issues to the instructor and they will help you modify (or substitute) exercises that aggravate your back.

Thanks for the advice,

so Pilates eh... I hear sexy fit woman like to do those things too ; (have rewritten thrice now and it keeps sounding creepy... is there a non creepy emoticon, I'm a good jewish boy I swear:) )

Anyone have experience with Yoga? I'd heard mixed reviews, one friend said its great but I would need to be carefully watched, small mistakes in poses can have big consequences.

happy and safe climbing

ecade

Sep 28, 2012, 3:51 PM
Post #13 of 30 (21384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

njrox wrote:
ecade wrote:

agonist, and antagonist.

I like that... makes it sound like our bodies' are in conflict with eachother. but the chicken or the egg question, or perhaps its just perspective...who is the agonist and who is the antagonist? (I am guessing the words' usage is similar to literature)

Wade308

Sep 28, 2012, 5:30 PM
Post #14 of 30 (21363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:

dankeshen

Problem is your core muscles extend from your abs to your spine. As a recipient of lower back surgery, I know where you're coming from.
I'd avise long warm-ups and starting really slow at first. When I first started working out I had some pain, but within a few months my back really loosened up.

Simple exercises will work the smaller muscles and help support your back. Form is always important and things like bridges, hindu push-ups and yoga poses that will get you to arch your back, will help take pressure off any compressed disks you might have.

After you feel you're getting loosened up, then you can think about more movements that involve curling or twisting motions.

FullertonImages

Sep 29, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #15 of 30 (21263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dead Bugs. Awesome ab exercise, and great for integration of for all the way from arms to legs. Especially focus on keep you deep core engaged throughout the movement and belly button pulled in towards you spine and up. these and supermans are great for climbing because they focus on the core function as a bridge to connect the limbs (which is ultimately what we're after), rather than just strengthening the core for its own sake.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/547481-the-dead-bug-exercise-for-ab-muscles/

(This post was edited by FullertonImages on Sep 29, 2012, 5:18 PM)

papapetro

Oct 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #16 of 30 (20852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try an ab/boxer's wheel.

AkAxeMan

Dec 3, 2012, 2:10 AM
Post #17 of 30 (20014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be sure not to neglect your back. If you work out your abs too much and forget about the rest of your core it can cause your body to develop out of balance and make you more prone to injuries.

brooklynclimber

Dec 3, 2012, 2:27 AM
Post #18 of 30 (20001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AkAxeMan] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AkAxeMan wrote:
Be sure not to neglect your back. If you work out your abs too much and forget about the rest of your core it can cause your body to develop out of balance and make you more prone to injuries.
I agree. But every time I try to exercise my back, I injure myself. What exercises do you do?

I see a few in Horst's training for climbing, but haven't tried.

Tiffaro0

Dec 3, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #19 of 30 (19920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your injuring your back, its probably because of your overall spine alignment. When we slouch, we are putting way too much pressure on our lower back.

To fix this problem, focus on corrective stretching and exercises which aim to "open up the chest." This can be achieved by pulling your shoulders back, tightening your abs (and lower back) and sticking your chest out.

Here's a perfect stretch to do - "the doorway stretch." Simply stand in the center of a door frame and place one or both of your hands on the sides. Your arms can be fully extended or you can bend them at the elbows. Now lean forward with your upper body which will produce the corrective stretch.

Here's a tip: Vary the angle where you place your hands (from a low position all the way to a over head position), to help your entire range of motion.

If you're in front of a desk right now, remember to take a break and do some stretches. If you're at the gym, a great time to do this stretch is in-between your chest exercise sets (you don't even need a door frame, simply hold onto the side of the bench).

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/ChestGeneral/Doorway.html

spiderman5

Dec 20, 2012, 1:11 AM
Post #20 of 30 (19519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TRX is great for full body and core workout. All body weight, can take it anywhere. I tie it to the roll bar of my wrangler or a tree.

gethighonarock

Dec 27, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #21 of 30 (19282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are several great articles here:

http://info.rockrun.com/...neil-gresham-20.html

and here

http://www.climber.co.uk/...ate=27&topic=140

(This post was edited by gethighonarock on Dec 27, 2012, 6:45 PM)

DouglasHunter

Jan 14, 2013, 4:58 AM
Post #22 of 30 (18789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
ecade wrote:

dankeshen

Thanks for the advice,

so Pilates eh... I hear sexy fit woman like to do those things too ; (have rewritten thrice now and it keeps sounding creepy... is there a non creepy emoticon, I'm a good jewish boy I swear:) )

If you have back pain Pilates might be the worst thing for you. A good deal of lower back pain arises from chronic tightness of the Psoas muscle which has its origin on the lumbar spine, and it inserts on the lessor trochanter of the femur. (see here for more info and scroll down for an illustration of the Psoas) Pilates contains a huge amount of hip flexion which is the primary action of the Psoas, repeated high intensity hip flexion can often make back pain worse.

This is my beef with a great deal of "core" exercises. They are actually hip flexion exercises but they get called ab or core exercises because the abs stabilize the pelvis through hip flexion. For the safest results its a good idea to stay away from all the hip flexion and use activities that engage the muscles of the trunk directly. Also, work the muscles all the way around the trunk, don't ignore extension, rotation, and lateral flexion of the trunk.

Syd

Jan 14, 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #23 of 30 (18746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DouglasHunter] Core workouts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DouglasHunter wrote:

If you have back pain Pilates might be the worst thing for you. A good deal of lower back pain arises from chronic tightness of the Psoas muscle which has its origin on the lumbar spine, and it inserts on the lessor trochanter of the femur. (see here for more info and scroll down for an illustration of the Psoas) Pilates contains a huge amount of hip flexion which is the primary action of the Psoas, repeated high intensity hip flexion can often make back pain worse.

You sound like a medical doctor ?
Pilates seemed to contribute to my osteoarthritis of the hips. I was told there was no cure and that I'd need a hip replacement. However, my wife and I developed a therapy based on very hard massage around the lower spine. I'm now pain free (6+ years post diagnosis). From what you have described, this sounds as though I have a problem with my Psoas ? I was also diagnosed with a prolapsed disc in my lower spine in my twenties. This may also have been connected ?
What is the best way to exercise/look after the Psoas ?

viciado

Jan 14, 2013, 1:43 PM
Post #24 of 30 (18723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Douglas,

Are you essentially saying to make sure you find an "all around" trunk routine that does not focus on just the abs or back (or hip flexes or whatever). And is it correct to say you indicate that focusing on one aspect of "core" can result in painful imbalance?

If so (or even if not...), what could you recommend in practical terms?

Partner cracklover

Jan 14, 2013, 5:09 PM
Post #25 of 30 (18672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DouglasHunter wrote:
ecade wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
ecade wrote:

dankeshen

Thanks for the advice,

This is my beef with a great deal of "core" exercises. They are actually hip flexion exercises but they get called ab or core exercises because the abs stabilize the pelvis through hip flexion. For the safest results its a good idea to stay away from all the hip flexion and use activities that engage the muscles of the trunk directly. Also, work the muscles all the way around the trunk, don't ignore extension, rotation, and lateral flexion of the trunk.

Very believable. I have some back problems, and Pilates is intolerable. So, you suggest activities that engage the muscles of the trunk directly - can you give any examples of either such exercises (I imagine this would be things like crunches?) or of exercise programs you're aware of (some type of yoga maybe? Or P90x? Or...?) that is pretty good at hitting these muscles?

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook