15 total votes

Partner cracklover

Oct 2, 2012, 7:40 AM
Post #1 of 31 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Winner of the first debate
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, some of the pundits are saying that this debate may be one that Romney *has* to win. He's slightly behind in the polls, and trending further behind.

During the primaries, his winning methodology was to avoid specifics, hold to to generic Republican talking points, and keep his head above water. But now that we're only five weeks from the general election, that will have to change.

Also, Romney has been rigorously preparing for this debate.

All this adds up to one thing - the debate tomorrow night may be pretty damn big and bold. If Romney comes out swinging hard, we may expect to see some serious fireworks, and/or some real policy discussion.

And some say that when Romney gets heated, that's when he tends to blurt out just the wrong thing. But he's probably done enough prep work to avoid that. We'll see.

So anyway, do you expect to see a clear winner tomorrow night? And if so, who?

GO

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 2, 2012, 8:05 AM
Post #2 of 31 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I was the Prez, I'd ask Mitt if stashing 10's - 100's of millions of $$$ in offshore accounts (read also: investing in another country's banking system rather than our own) to avoid taxes is a loop-hole he would close.

Personally, I just wanna watch the debates 'cause I wanna watch the continuing the train wreck(s)... Even better than watching Charlie Sheen.

veganclimber

Oct 2, 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #3 of 31 (1785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My prediction is that democrats will declare victory for Obama, and the republicans will do the same for Romney. They will both greatly exaggerate the extent of their victories.

It's already been written. Just like last time when the ad about Palin's decisive victory over Biden was accidentally printed before the debate even happened.

carabiner96

Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 31 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
My prediction is that democrats will declare victory for Obama, and the republicans will do the same for Romney. They will both greatly exaggerate the extent of their victories.

It's already been written. Just like last time when the ad about Palin's decisive victory over Biden was accidentally printed before the debate even happened.
^^This. I don't think I can stand to watch it.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 3, 2012, 4:33 AM
Post #5 of 31 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You have a point, as I am amazed at how often they repeat the same tired lines, even when they have been debunked. Seems that they believe that if they just say it often enough people will believe it, and unfortunately, I think they are right to a large extent.

camhead

Oct 3, 2012, 8:06 AM
Post #6 of 31 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Romney is a really bad candidate, and is terrible at explaining ideas to those who do not share his ideology. Four years ago, there were dozens of houses in the affluent neighborhood next to mine that were sporting McCain/Palin signs. Not even one of these houses has a Romney sign this year.

He's going to lose the debate, and the election, unless some more Supreme Court shenanigans get pulled like in 2000.

Partner cracklover

Oct 3, 2012, 9:18 AM
Post #7 of 31 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

I dunno. I think it may have some worth, even if the partisan machines on both sides have already decided. I plan to watch it, and with an open mind.

GO

petsfed

Oct 3, 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #8 of 31 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

I dunno. I think it may have some worth, even if the partisan machines on both sides have already decided. I plan to watch it, and with an open mind.

GO

I plan to move around the Denver metro area only after the first debate is over.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 3, 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #9 of 31 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

GO

As I said earlier... I plan to watch it, mainly for the comedy that it has been, and surely will be.

Who knows... Perhaps in a few years, Mitt will be in the "Sureal Life" house, or a comentator on TruLife's "World's Dumbest", along with all the other 'has beens' trying to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 3, 2012, 11:42 AM)

curt

Oct 3, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #10 of 31 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Romney is a really bad candidate, and is terrible at explaining ideas to those who do not share his ideology...

Actually, he can't explain his ideas to anybody. Once you peel back the sound-bite veneer of a Romney idea there is no workable plan underneath. Even the architect of his tax plan and running mate (Paul Ryan) stated that he could not explain the math behind their tax plan--because it would "take too long."

The more these debates focus on substance the worse Romney is going to look.

Curt

camhead

Oct 3, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #11 of 31 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
camhead wrote:
Romney is a really bad candidate, and is terrible at explaining ideas to those who do not share his ideology...

Actually, he can't explain his ideas to anybody. Once you peel back the sound-bite veneer of a Romney idea there is no workable plan underneath. Even the architect of his tax plan and running mate (Paul Ryan) stated that he could not explain the math behind their tax plan--because it would "take too long."

Curt

Post debate recap: other than the fact that everything Romney said was false, he won the debate.

curt

Oct 3, 2012, 8:25 PM
Post #12 of 31 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
curt wrote:
camhead wrote:

Curt

Post debate recap: other than the fact that everything Romney said was false, he won the debate.

Agreed.

Curt

billcoe_

Oct 3, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #13 of 31 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The American public won this one.

dr_feelgood

Oct 3, 2012, 9:53 PM
Post #14 of 31 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim Lehrer couldn't moderate his way out of a wet paper bag.

pinktricam

Oct 4, 2012, 3:16 AM
Post #15 of 31 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only listened on NPR, but I have to agree Rmoney had Osama reeling.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 4, 2012, 4:10 AM
Post #16 of 31 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moderator sucked, Romney amazingly enough won on style and delivery, even though all he delievered was quips, and more telling people what they want to hear, leaving the "how" to magic.

Mitt was well prepared, and the Prez seemed to never really engage.

Round 1... Mitt, on points only, as there were no significant blows delievered. Appears the Prez has some ring rust.

ubu

Oct 4, 2012, 7:14 AM
Post #17 of 31 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Y'all are wrong. Romney did not win the debate. Rather, I would say that Obama lost the debate. That guy just does not seem to understand the difference between a debate and a lecture.

camhead

Oct 4, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #18 of 31 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
Y'all are wrong. Romney did not win the debate. Rather, I would say that Obama lost the debate. That guy just does not seem to understand the difference between a debate and a lecture.

The endless dilemma of conservatism versus liberalism. Ideological bullet points can always be conveyed more than broad, pragmatic analyses.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 4, 2012, 8:16 AM
Post #19 of 31 (1583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ubu wrote:

The endless dilemma of conservatism versus liberalism. Ideological bullet points can always be conveyed more than broad, pragmatic analyses.

Yep... Unfortunately, for many, if it takes more than a 10-15 word sentence to explain something, no matter how complex, it must be BS "fancy speak".

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 4, 2012, 8:16 AM)

Partner cracklover

Oct 4, 2012, 8:20 AM
Post #20 of 31 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ubu wrote:

Perhaps, but Obama had a few good opportunities to score really hard, and didn't grab them. For example, when Romney (talking about how much better things will be with the repeal of Obamacare) said something along the lines of "The free market will always give the best solutions." That was a *huge* opening. Had Obama prepared for such a moment, he could have delivered a devastating blow about how the healthcare industry has been operating under the free market, the banking industry, the housing industry - how well have all those performed for the American people?

Or, when Romney kept saying (I don't remember his exact words) "under my plan, we repeal Obamacare, and pass it to the states" - there was a big opportunity for Obama to go on the offensive and press Romney, asking something like: "So you mean that you intend to replace all of the points that everyone likes in Obamacare with... nothing? You intend to just hope the states will each individually take care of it?"

I thought Obama did a reasonably good job of articulating himself and his ideology, but that doesn't win over undecideds at this point. And really, he seemed underprepared, and tired. Honestly, I'm sympathetic, since unlike Romney, running a campaign and preparing for such things can't be his full-time job. I mean, he's still president, and there's a lot of shit going down. But I hope he finds some more time before the next debate to pull his shit together better. I think he has the capacity to crush Romney - he has real substance behind his talking points, and Romney has nothing. But he's gotta bring it a little better.

GO

Gmburns2000

Oct 4, 2012, 9:00 AM
Post #21 of 31 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Moderator sucked, Romney amazingly enough won on style and delivery, even though all he delievered was quips, and more telling people what they want to hear, leaving the "how" to magic.

Round 1... Mitt, on points only, as there were no significant blows delievered. Appears the Prez has some ring rust.

I got a chance to see some of the debate last night here in Brasil. Couldn't see all of it. Not surprised by the outcome. Romney is a really good debater. He showed that when he was running for Gov of Mass (and I voted for him then almost based on the debates - he was a different candidate by far). Those debates basically won him the election. Of course his opponent bombed when she offered to show her tattoo, but you can't pin that on Romney.

I still think Obama wins. Romney has simply said too many dumb things the past few weeks, but if a debate can change things, then Romney is dangerous.

Don't get a lot of news here; will there be a VP debate? I thought Biden was a damn good debater in the last election, too. I was really impressed by him on that night. I'd be interested in seeing how that goes. No clue if Ryan is any good.

carabiner96

Oct 4, 2012, 9:05 AM
Post #22 of 31 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

I got a chance to see some of the debate last night here in Brasil. Couldn't see all of it. Not surprised by the outcome. Romney is a really good debater. He showed that when he was running for Gov of Mass (and I voted for him then almost based on the debates - he was a different candidate by far). Those debates basically won him the election. Of course his opponent bombed when she offered to show her tattoo, but you can't pin that on Romney.

I still think Obama wins. Romney has simply said too many dumb things the past few weeks, but if a debate can change things, then Romney is dangerous.

Don't get a lot of news here; will there be a VP debate? I thought Biden was a damn good debater in the last election, too. I was really impressed by him on that night. I'd be interested in seeing how that goes. No clue if Ryan is any good.

there will be a veep debate, not sure when.

pinktricam

Oct 4, 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #23 of 31 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:

Bullshit, osama may've been off his game, but Rmoney was all come at me bro!

ubu

Oct 4, 2012, 9:08 AM
Post #24 of 31 (1556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Winner of the first debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
ubu wrote:

Bullshit, osama may've been off his game, but Rmoney was all come at me bro!

[image]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581452_400449276693258_1139316531_n.jpg[/image]

That's true, but you don't win a debate by bullshitting. You can, however, lose a debate by not pushing back on the bullshit.

camhead

Oct 4, 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #25 of 31 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Perhaps, but Obama had a few good opportunities to score really hard, and didn't grab them. For example, when Romney (talking about how much better things will be with the repeal of Obamacare) said something along the lines of "The free market will always give the best solutions." That was a *huge* opening. Had Obama prepared for such a moment, he could have delivered a devastating blow about how the healthcare industry has been operating under the free market, the banking industry, the housing industry - how well have all those performed for the American people?

Or, when Romney kept saying (I don't remember his exact words) "under my plan, we repeal Obamacare, and pass it to the states" - there was a big opportunity for Obama to go on the offensive and press Romney, asking something like: "So you mean that you intend to replace all of the points that everyone likes in Obamacare with... nothing? You intend to just hope the states will each individually take care of it?"

Definitely. Those obvious missed opportunities are the toughest to watch; I still cringe when i think back about how Kerry was given an opportunity to respond to Bush saying "I think I'm an excellent steward of the environment," and he completely dropped the ball... sigh.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook