Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 


dr_feelgood


Oct 8, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 25 (2263 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election...
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-19879379
In reply to:
The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after eating dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.

At least the gene pool has been thinned a bit.


veganclimber


Oct 8, 2012, 7:15 PM
Post #2 of 25 (2261 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [dr_feelgood] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-19879379
In reply to:
The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after eating dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.

At least the gene pool has been thinned a bit.

I'm kind of hoping they secede before they screw up another election.


jt512


Oct 8, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #3 of 25 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [veganclimber] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-19879379
In reply to:
The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after eating dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.

At least the gene pool has been thinned a bit.

I'm kind of hoping they secede before they screw up another election.

As far as I am aware, cockroaches are edible. Furthermore, none of the other participants in the contest became ill. So the evidence is actually pretty thin that the guy who died died because he ate cockroaches.

Additionally, since it looks like Mitt is likely to win this election, I'd rather see those of us in the minority of sane states do the seceding and start over from scratch.

Jay


Partner cracklover


Oct 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #4 of 25 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 9935

Re: [jt512] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-19879379
In reply to:
The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after eating dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.

At least the gene pool has been thinned a bit.

I'm kind of hoping they secede before they screw up another election.

As far as I am aware, cockroaches are edible. Furthermore, none of the other participants in the contest became ill. So the evidence is actually pretty thin that the guy who died died because he ate cockroaches.

Additionally, since it looks like Mitt is likely to win this election, I'd rather see those of us in the minority of sane states do the seceding and start over from scratch.

Jay

I think it'll be a little while before the autopsy results come back (on the moron who ate all the cockroaches, not on our nation, which still has a strong pulse), but the best theory I've heard floating around is a seafood allergy, which can come on quite suddenly.

As for the election - too close to call.

GO


veganclimber


Oct 10, 2012, 2:04 PM
Post #5 of 25 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [cracklover] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.


curt


Oct 10, 2012, 3:50 PM
Post #6 of 25 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [veganclimber] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt


jt512


Oct 10, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #7 of 25 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [curt] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt

I hope you're right. I haven't looked closely at the electoral map projections. But among surveys consisting of only post-debate data, Romney is ahead by 0–5 percentage points among registered or likely voters.

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 10, 2012, 4:40 PM)


veganclimber


Oct 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #8 of 25 (2174 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [jt512] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt

I hope you're right. I haven't looked closely at the electoral map projections. But among surveys consisting of only post-debate data, Romney is ahead by 0–5 percentage points among registered or likely voters.

Jay

I hope so too. It's not an exaggeration to say that this:

http://www.cnn.com/...-politics/index.html
In reply to:
Still, many court watchers anticipate the man sitting in the Oval Office through 2016 could name at least one and perhaps as many as three members to the Supreme Court.

actually terrifies me.


jt512


Oct 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #9 of 25 (2157 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [veganclimber] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt

I hope you're right. I haven't looked closely at the electoral map projections. But among surveys consisting of only post-debate data, Romney is ahead by 0–5 percentage points among registered or likely voters.

Jay

I hope so too. It's not an exaggeration to say that this:

http://www.cnn.com/...-politics/index.html
In reply to:
Still, many court watchers anticipate the man sitting in the Oval Office through 2016 could name at least one and perhaps as many as three members to the Supreme Court.

actually terrifies me.

Yeah, Bush left us one-half a vote on the Supreme Court short of a theocracy. The next president will be the decider.

Jay


scrapedape


Oct 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #10 of 25 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [jt512] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt

I hope you're right. I haven't looked closely at the electoral map projections. But among surveys consisting of only post-debate data, Romney is ahead by 0–5 percentage points among registered or likely voters.

Jay

I hope so too. It's not an exaggeration to say that this:

http://www.cnn.com/...-politics/index.html
In reply to:
Still, many court watchers anticipate the man sitting in the Oval Office through 2016 could name at least one and perhaps as many as three members to the Supreme Court.

actually terrifies me.

Yeah, Bush left us one-half a vote on the Supreme Court short of a theocracy. The next president will be the decider.

Jay

Not necessarily. The three oldest are Ginsburg, Scalia, and Kennedy, all under 80. Stevens stuck around til he was 90.


curt


Oct 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #11 of 25 (2146 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [jt512] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
I still think it looks bad for Romney. The electoral map is pretty much a nightmare for him.

Hopefully, Jay was kidding. Romney has basically no chance.

Curt

I hope you're right. I haven't looked closely at the electoral map projections. But among surveys consisting of only post-debate data, Romney is ahead by 0–5 percentage points among registered or likely voters.

Jay

Nate Silver does a pretty good job of explaining why those polls are not a good representation of reality. I think his NYT blog has the best data concerning the election

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com

Curt


jomagam


Oct 24, 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #12 of 25 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [curt] I really hope Florida et al. secede after this election... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd trust the market on this one. According to http://www.intrade.com/, Obama has a 57% chance for a second term.


pinktricam


Oct 24, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #13 of 25 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Red is my favorite color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post




veganclimber


Oct 24, 2012, 3:16 PM
Post #14 of 25 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [pinktricam] Red is my favorite color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Red is my favorite color

Communist.


dr_feelgood


Nov 12, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #15 of 25 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sign this petition to allow Texas to secede. Do it! Do it now!
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/...-own-new-government/


traddad


Nov 12, 2012, 2:00 PM
Post #16 of 25 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [pinktricam] Red is my favorite color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:

Saved for Posterity.

Two for two Pinks!


veganclimber


Nov 12, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #17 of 25 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [traddad] Red is my favorite color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

Saved for Posterity.

Two for two Pinks!

It's kind of shocking that the model didn't work. After all, it did correctly predict the winner of every election, since 1980, in which the winner was already known.


veganclimber


Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #18 of 25 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [dr_feelgood] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Sign this petition to allow Texas to secede. Do it! Do it now!
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/...-own-new-government/

Might want to support Arizona in their efforts as well.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/...-government/GrZPNqcX

Especially after this story:

http://news.yahoo.com/...oting-045426220.html

In reply to:
PHOENIX (Reuters) - An Arizona woman, in despair at the re-election of Democratic President Barack Obama, ran down her husband with the family car in suburban Phoenix on Saturday because he failed to vote in the election, police said on Monday.

. . .

Police said Daniel Solomon told them his wife became angry over his "lack of voter participation" in last Tuesday's presidential election and believed her family would face hardship as a result of Obama winning another term.


Partner rrrADAM


Nov 13, 2012, 4:09 AM
Post #19 of 25 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

re: Red State secession...

I've said it before... If that happens we will need to build a much longer fence, to keep the superstitious scientifically ignorant "illegal" Southerners from coming North once they realize that they have nothing substancial, and can't even fix the technology left over prior to their secession... It would become another 3rd world nation, with it's hand out to the US... Heck, the Red States pretty much are that way right now.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Nov 13, 2012, 4:12 AM)


traddad


Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #20 of 25 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [rrrADAM] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
re: Red State secession...

I've said it before... If that happens we will need to build a much longer fence, to keep the superstitious scientifically ignorant "illegal" Southerners from coming North once they realize that they have nothing substancial, and can't even fix the technology left over prior to their secession... It would become another 3rd world nation, with it's hand out to the US... Heck, the Red States pretty much are that way right now.

Statistics say: You are correct sir! This is a dirty little secret that the red staters do NOT want to talk about.


Partner rrrADAM


Nov 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #21 of 25 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [traddad] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
re: Red State secession...

I've said it before... If that happens we will need to build a much longer fence, to keep the superstitious scientifically ignorant "illegal" Southerners from coming North once they realize that they have nothing substancial, and can't even fix the technology left over prior to their secession... It would become another 3rd world nation, with it's hand out to the US... Heck, the Red States pretty much are that way right now.

Statistics say: You are correct sir! This is a dirty little secret that the red staters do NOT want to talk about.


Yes, many of the Red states have had their hands out for some time now, and have even become DEPENDENT* on the Federal Gub'ment... With many of the Blue states paying the bill.

Red States tend to recieve more Federal $$$ than they put in:
http://www.motherjones.com/...spending-charts-maps
http://www.bloomberg.com/...x-in-red-states.html


In other words, it is the Reps that are the "Moochers", not the Dems.


* de-pend-ent adjective
1. relying on someone or something else for aid, support, etc.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Nov 14, 2012, 10:40 AM)


traddad


Nov 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #22 of 25 (1830 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [rrrADAM] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
traddad wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
re: Red State secession...

I've said it before... If that happens we will need to build a much longer fence, to keep the superstitious scientifically ignorant "illegal" Southerners from coming North once they realize that they have nothing substancial, and can't even fix the technology left over prior to their secession... It would become another 3rd world nation, with it's hand out to the US... Heck, the Red States pretty much are that way right now.

Statistics say: You are correct sir! This is a dirty little secret that the red staters do NOT want to talk about.


Yes, many of the Red states have had their hands out for some time now, and have even become DEPENDENT* on the Federal Gub'ment... With many of the Blue states paying the bill.

Red States tend to recieve more Federal $$$ than they put in:
http://www.motherjones.com/...spending-charts-maps
http://www.bloomberg.com/...x-in-red-states.html


In other words, it is the Reps that are the "Moochers", not the Dems.


* de-pend-ent adjective
1. relying on someone or something else for aid, support, etc.

Were the Red States the 47% that R-money was talking about?


Partner rrrADAM


Nov 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #23 of 25 (1828 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [traddad] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, he got 48% of the vote...
So, if you add the 47% of moochers and the 1%(ers) you get... Wink


veganclimber


Nov 14, 2012, 2:27 PM
Post #24 of 25 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [dr_feelgood] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Sign this petition to allow Texas to secede. Do it! Do it now!
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/...-own-new-government/

In the event that it actually succeeds, you might want to sign this petition as well:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/...ited-states/TDD212hQ

In reply to:
Peacefully grant the city of Austin Texas to withdraw from the state of Texas & remain part of the United States.

Austin Texas continues to suffer difficulties stemming from the lack of civil, religious, and political freedoms imposed upon the city by less liberally minded Texans. It is entirely feasible for Austin to operate as its own state, within the United States, in the event that Texas is successful in the current bid to secede. It is important for Austin to remain in the union as to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers.

We would also like to annex Dublin Texas, Lockhart Texas, & Shiner Texas.


Partner rrrADAM


Nov 15, 2012, 3:58 AM
Post #25 of 25 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [veganclimber] my one true dream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems when it comes to Texas seceding, even Gov Perry has a brain, as he isn't backing it:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/...site/?iref=allsearch


Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)
$183.56 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook