RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

carolinemeleedy

Oct 8, 2012, 4:57 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Best Sport Climbing in the East?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello! My friends and I are looking into a climbing trip for spring break, which in the first full week in March (4-8). We're not sure of where we want to go, even after tons of research, so here I am... What would you recommend for consistent 5.10 sport climbers, willing to drive about 20 hours from Massachusetts, that is fairly warm (at least no snow)? We're mostly looking to sport, but bouldering would be awesome as well! Also, any other recommendations (campsites, travel advice, etc) would be super appreciated!

theextremist04

Oct 8, 2012, 5:32 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carolinemeleedy] Best Sport Climbing in the East? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carolinemeleedy wrote:
Hello! My friends and I are looking into a climbing trip for spring break, which in the first full week in March (4-8). We're not sure of where we want to go, even after tons of research, so here I am... What would you recommend for consistent 5.10 sport climbers, willing to drive about 20 hours from Massachusetts, that is fairly warm (at least no snow)? We're mostly looking to sport, but bouldering would be awesome as well! Also, any other recommendations (campsites, travel advice, etc) would be super appreciated!
Both the Red River Gorge and New River Gorge are within driving distance and have some awesome sport climbing.

carolinemeleedy

Oct 8, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] Best Sport Climbing in the East? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We're just worried about the weather! We don't want to run into snow or ice, or too cold temperatures cause we're hoping to camp... How's the weather in early March in those areas?

satch

Oct 8, 2012, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather here in Fayetteville (the New) varies a lot. March can be wet and on the cold side, but we can also have nice days then. The weather at the Red is the same as it is here. The Red has more sport climbs, but we have a lot too. If you are driving, you can fit your trip to the weather.

sycamore

Oct 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [satch] Best Sport Climbing in the East? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking for a spring break destination with a group of beginner to intermediate climbers, the Red is the best place to go. Of course, every other college climbing club from here to Toronto will be doing the same thing. It will be real cold at night, but you should get some nice days (same for WV and TN). It will also be super crowded, at least at Miguel's.

Other less populated yet awesome destinations would be Tennessee (Obed, Foster Falls), Arkansas (HCR), or the NRG in WV. These are all great climbing areas. There's a reason the Red is so crowded, however, and it's due to a preponderance of easy to moderate bolted lines, plus the climber locus that Miguel's provides.

hyhuu

Oct 10, 2012, 5:30 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you only climb 5.10s, there will be less options at the New compared to the Red. But if you also want to boulder then the New has plenty more than the Red.

RobAT

Oct 10, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OP
I've had several great road trips to the Tennessee/Alabama/Carolina area. Check out the "Dixie craggers companion (Atlas?)" I know you are looking for sport climbing but T-wall is a great crag.Others mentioned Obed and Foster's. Alabama has tons of great crags and bouldering. It might be a region of the country that has been off your RADAR. Check it out.
OR
Fly to J-tree.
Have fun,
Rob

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook