First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Oct 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #1 of 37 (2068 views)
Shortcut

The battle for science in America
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you know that Akin (the guy who claimed that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape" because their bodies have "ways to try to shut that whole thing down") is a member of the House Science Committee? Well, I just learned that Paul Broun (R-Georgia), who is a high ranking member of that same committee, just outed himself as an even bigger moron and anti-science radical.

Last week he said that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

"You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

There are multiple foxes in the henhouse.

Scary days.

GO

styndall

Oct 10, 2012, 8:33 PM
Post #2 of 37 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul Broun also represents Athens, Ga, one of the two bastions of liberal politics in the state. His district includes Athens, but also enough surrounding farming towns, to make sure the liberal voters in Athens never see real representation in congress. It's also the location of the University of Georgia, the state's premier public university.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 11, 2012, 5:56 AM
Post #3 of 37 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Re: The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The examples of the "right" moving us backwards in our understanding of the world are numerous, and many have even been discussed in this very forum.

We are way behind many other industrialized nations as far as science and math goes, and it is pretty much due to the "right"... Just look at the Texas School Board, for one prime example... Or, the Creationist Museum in Kentucky.

Pretty soon, many people in the US will be fasioning headphones from coconut shells, and carving out long flat strips of land, expecting manna from Heaven. (Note - Ironically enough, 100% the very same nut-jobs on the "right" would have no idea what I just referenced in this paragraph.)

Puts a little more weight to one of Obama's phrases he's using:
"Forward, not backwards."

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 11, 2012, 7:32 AM)

pinktricam

Oct 11, 2012, 6:04 AM
Post #4 of 37 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Did you know that Akin (the guy who claimed that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape" because their bodies have "ways to try to shut that whole thing down") is a member of the House Science Committee? Well, I just learned that Paul Broun (R-Georgia), who is a high ranking member of that same committee, just outed himself as an even bigger moron and anti-science radical.

Last week he said that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

"You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

Scary days.

GO

*chuckle*

Your proclamations are as absurd as those coming from the extreme right.

(This post was edited by pinktricam on Oct 11, 2012, 6:06 AM)

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2012, 7:37 AM
Post #5 of 37 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Scary days.

GO

He was “speaking off the record to a large church group about his personal beliefs regarding religious issues"-- according to his campaign.

Sigh, it boggles my mind, really!

I just started to read "Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby. The quote from Paul Broun seems to fit right into the argument made in this book.

Partner cracklover

Oct 11, 2012, 7:45 AM
Post #6 of 37 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Scary days.

GO

He was “speaking off the record to a large church group about his personal beliefs regarding religious issues"-- according to his campaign.

I just started to read "Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby. The quote from Paul Broun seems to fit right into the argument made in this book.

Do any of you have any good ideas about what could be done to get these guys *off* the congressional science committees? I mean, if you're elected to office, fine, serve your district. But to be endowed with a position of responsibility in congress, you should have to show yourself to be competent in that arena. There should be a way to protest these appointments, but I don't really know where they come from, and to whom one would apply pressure.

Any suggestions welcome. This really is a battle, and just whining about it here is not enough.

GO

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2012, 8:38 AM
Post #7 of 37 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Scary days.

GO

Do any of you have any good ideas about what could be done to get these guys *off* the congressional science committees? I mean, if you're elected to office, fine, serve your district. But to be endowed with a position of responsibility in congress, you should have to show yourself to be competent in that arena. There should be a way to protest these appointments, but I don't really know where they come from, and to whom one would apply pressure.

Any suggestions welcome. This really is a battle, and just whining about it here is not enough.

GO

I am not an expert (obviously!) but what I remember is that the nomination for each committee is done by each party, and then formally confirmed by the House of Representatives.

All committees are bi-aprtisan, with the split roughly the same as overall split of the House of Representative, so if the House majority is republican, so will be the committees.

And the parties nominate representatives to the committees based on the Representatives' personal preferences and seniority.

So the way I interpret it, if a certain person wants to serve on a certain committee, puts his.her name forward, and there isn't an overwhelming number of other candidates from the same party wanting to get onto the same committee, that person will get on the committee of his/her choice, and there is nothing that the general public can do about it.

Partner cracklover

Oct 11, 2012, 8:48 AM
Post #8 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
cracklover wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Scary days.

GO

GO

I am not an expert (obviously!) but what I remember is that the nomination for each committee is done by each party, and then formally confirmed by the House of Representatives.

All committees are bi-aprtisan, with the split roughly the same as overall split of the House of Representative, so if the House majority is republican, so will be the committees.

And the parties nominate representatives to the committees based on the Representatives' personal preferences and seniority.

So the way I interpret it, if a certain person wants to serve on a certain committee, puts his.her name forward, and there isn't an overwhelming number of other candidates from the same party wanting to get onto the same committee, that person will get on the committee of his/her choice, and there is nothing that the general public can do about it.

Makes sense. But there must at least be someone from each party (like the majority/minority leader, or the whip, or something) who has to approve nominations from the party. Or perhaps the whole party votes to approve nominations? Anyway, there must be someone who can be lobbied to the effect that "Dude, you're embarrassing your party by allowing this nutjob to represent you on a subject where he clearly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground."

GO

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 11, 2012, 9:16 AM
Post #9 of 37 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what we can do, other than trying to be vocal, and demand some accountability... Even if it is through public ridicule showing the absurdity of the fact that their beliefs/actions are the antithesis of what is required of the position they hold.

Remember, Michele Bachmann sits on the House's Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence of all things, yet she is more of an idiot that Sarah Palin, and even shoots from the hip more often (E.g., "I heard somewhere")... And, she often cites her position trying to add weight to her blather... So this isn't confined to the House Science Committee... It has long been time to cleam many rooms in the "house".

This all reminds me of this scene in Religilous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSCRoYyM-Y

The look on his face is priceless, as he realizes that he just said that on camera. Laugh

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 11, 2012, 9:30 AM)

veganclimber

Oct 11, 2012, 9:45 AM
Post #10 of 37 (1997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Not sure what we can do, other than trying to be vocal, and demand some accountability...

The only thing we can do is vote republicans out of office.

jt512

Oct 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #11 of 37 (1989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

Great book. Keep a dictionary handy.

Jay

petsfed

Oct 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #12 of 37 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Not sure what we can do, other than trying to be vocal, and demand some accountability...

The only thing we can do is vote republicans out of office.

That won't be enough. Part of the problem is that the kind of personality necessary to survive the election process and get into congress is the exact kind of personality we *don't* want in congress.

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #13 of 37 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Great book. Keep a dictionary handy.

Jay

In the spirit of Soap Box, I think I should be offended that you assume that I would need a dictionary to read it.

But not to worry, the dictionary is only one click away on a Kindle.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 12, 2012, 4:44 AM
Post #14 of 37 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Video of Mr Broun uttering this BS:
http://www.cnn.com/...an-slams-science.cnn

Looks like some of the extreme right here in the US are even making policy in Mali too:
http://www.cnn.com/...index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Remember, even Reagan praised the Taliban back in the '80s:

notapplicable

Oct 12, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #15 of 37 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the video of his comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikEWuBrkHc

And here is an especially appalling comment at the end.

"What I’ve come to learn is that [the Bible is] the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I will continue to do that"

notapplicable

Oct 12, 2012, 9:51 PM
Post #16 of 37 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Religion presents a very clear and present danger to our society and you could hardly ask for a better example of why that is true.

To have such an empty headed denier of reality sitting on the Committee on Science and Technology is madness.

FUCK

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Oct 12, 2012, 9:54 PM)

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 13, 2012, 3:47 PM
Post #17 of 37 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Religion presents a very clear and present danger to our society...

Unfortunately, has been for a while... And it has apready ruined much. It literally handicaps us.

notapplicable

Oct 14, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #18 of 37 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Religion presents a very clear and present danger to our society...

Unfortunately, has been for a while... And it has apready ruined much. It literally handicaps us.

Indeed. That sentence should have started - "Religion continues to present..."

notapplicable

Oct 14, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #19 of 37 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And the damage will continue until more people are willing to stand up and call bullshit in the public arena.

I posted that video on my FB page and zero people commented but I know for a certain fact that 90+% of my friends feel the same way I do. Problem is, their friends and family hold to one faith or another and they don't want to make waves. They are afraid to even have that discussion with the people closest to them, when they need to be shouting it at the top of their lungs.

I fear, at this rate, the end is a long way off...

Partner cracklover

Oct 14, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #20 of 37 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Here is the video of his comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikEWuBrkHc

And here is an especially appalling comment at the end.

"What I’ve come to learn is that [the Bible is] the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I will continue to do that"

Holy crap, I missed that. For once, I hope the politician was just pandering, and didn't honestly mean a word of it.

GO

notapplicable

Oct 14, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #21 of 37 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although there is some good news from a recent Pew Poll.

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%)

http://www.pewforum.org/...nes-on-the-rise.aspx

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Oct 14, 2012, 9:02 PM)

veganclimber

Oct 19, 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #22 of 37 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The battle for science in America"

Can we just admit that we lost this battle?

http://news.yahoo.com/...30900--election.html

In reply to:
Republican Congressman Joe Walsh of Illinois said after his Thursday debate against Democratic rival Tammy Duckworth that abortions are never necessary to save a pregnant woman's life, because modern technology has eliminated the risks of childbearing.

pinktricam

Oct 19, 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #23 of 37 (1766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:
Republican Congressman Joe Walsh of Illinois said after his Thursday debate against Democratic rival Tammy Duckworth that abortions are never rarely necessary to save a pregnant woman's life, because modern technology has eliminated [many of] the risks of childbearing.

Fixt.

veganclimber

Oct 19, 2012, 5:10 PM
Post #24 of 37 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] The battle for science in America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:
Republican Congressman Joe Walsh of Illinois said after his Thursday debate against Democratic rival Tammy Duckworth that abortions are never rarely necessary to save a pregnant woman's life, because modern technology has eliminated [many of] the risks of childbearing.

Fixt.

http://www.politico.com/...012/82640.html?hp=r5

In reply to:
But the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said in a statement Friday that even today’s medical advances can’t prevent the need for abortions to save the mother's life in every case.

“Abortions are necessary in a number of circumstances to save the life of a woman or to preserve her health,” the college said. “Unfortunately, pregnancy is not a risk-free life event, particularly for many women with chronic medical conditions. Despite all of our medical advances, more than 600 women die each year from pregnancy- and childbirth-related reasons right here in the US. In fact, many more women would die each year if they did not have access to abortion to protect their health or to save their lives.”

Dr. Sara Imershein, an obstetrician and gynecologist in private practice in Washington, D.C., told POLITICO there are “numerous situations where life of the mother would be a reason to terminate the pregnancy.” She cited cancer, multiple pregnancies, hemorrhaging or situations in which the mother’s health is at risk, such as patients with sickle cell anemia or chickenpox.

“Unfortunately, there are many cases where technology cannot do what a legislator would like it to do,” she said.

pinktricam

Oct 19, 2012, 6:00 PM
Post #25 of 37 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

Fixt.

http://www.politico.com/...012/82640.html?hp=r5

In reply to:
But the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said in a statement Friday that even today’s medical advances can’t prevent the need for abortions to save the mother's life in every case.

“Abortions are necessary in a number of circumstances to save the life of a woman or to preserve her health,” the college said. “Unfortunately, pregnancy is not a risk-free life event, particularly for many women with chronic medical conditions. Despite all of our medical advances, more than 600 women die each year from pregnancy- and childbirth-related reasons right here in the US. In fact, many more women would die each year if they did not have access to abortion to protect their health or to save their lives.”

Dr. Sara Imershein, an obstetrician and gynecologist in private practice in Washington, D.C., told POLITICO there are “numerous situations where life of the mother would be a reason to terminate the pregnancy.” She cited cancer, multiple pregnancies, hemorrhaging or situations in which the mother’s health is at risk, such as patients with sickle cell anemia or chickenpox.

“Unfortunately, there are many cases where technology cannot do what a legislator would like it to do,” she said.

That "600" statistic is 0.03% of the 2,000,000 or so pregnancies that occur every year in the US. Based on those numbers, my "fixt" post still stands.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$6.75 (10% off)
$271.31 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook