RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rkwan

Oct 13, 2012, 5:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Peace Corps project: Nationwide Rock Climbing Program
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of help. A few Peace Corps volunteers and I want to start a camp for the youths of Morocco that focuses on rock climbing. Now we need help figuring out some troubleshoot and I was hoping you guys could help us.

- None of the volunteers are certified via AMGA. We have experience in climbing but we feel the lack of any official document may hinder our goal. Being in Morocco, it makes it very difficult for us to come back to America to get an AMGA-certified SPI training. It's an option I'm looking into but I was wondering if there was a French organization that also provided certifications?
- Although gaining SPI training would be very beneficial, we also want to make this into a self-sustainable project in the future, after we leave. That would, of course, require more certifications and more time than we have. Does anyone know of any certified trainers near Morocco whom we would be able to contact to further discuss this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Fact: Morocco has no official organization that regulates and/or governs rock climbing in Morocco.

billcoe_

Oct 14, 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rkwan] Peace Corps project: Nationwide Rock Climbing Program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rkwan wrote:
Hey, I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of help. A few Peace Corps volunteers and I want to start a camp for the youths of Morocco that focuses on rock climbing. Now we need help figuring out some troubleshoot and I was hoping you guys could help us.

- None of the volunteers are certified via AMGA. We have experience in climbing but we feel the lack of any official document may hinder our goal. Being in Morocco, it makes it very difficult for us to come back to America to get an AMGA-certified SPI training. It's an option I'm looking into but I was wondering if there was a French organization that also provided certifications?
- Although gaining SPI training would be very beneficial, we also want to make this into a self-sustainable project in the future, after we leave. That would, of course, require more certifications and more time than we have. Does anyone know of any certified trainers near Morocco whom we would be able to contact to further discuss this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Fact: Morocco has no official organization that regulates and/or governs rock climbing in Morocco.

Are you kidding? WTF!!?! The only thing stopping you is you. Just do it.

In reply to:

If you are looking for someone to say it's OK, here you go. It's OK.

madrasrock

Oct 14, 2012, 1:20 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am working on a Spanish SPI translation for a instrcutor training in Cuba, contact me at mountainman@mtjeff.com

Rick

Gmburns2000

Oct 14, 2012, 2:15 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea how true this is, but I suspect that the vast majority of climbing instructors in the US, at the very least, have little to no official certification. Knowing that Morroco has no laws regulating this, as you've stated, then I don't see why having a cert would make it easier. Maybe it would help if you explained why you think this will make it easier.

I think what's likely most important here is if you can verify your own skills (and your fellow volunteers). If you only have a small amount of experience (this definition can vary greatly), then maybe it's better to reach out to some of the European guide outfits for help. Maybe your best asset isn't the climbing part, but the organizing part. Include climbers who want to be a part of what you're trying to establish and let them take care of the climbing.

Don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but keeping it simple might help you out.

BTW - good on you for your volunteerism and best of luck.

naitch

Oct 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might get some interesting input from over on supertopo.com. I know some of them are widely traveled and have climbed and might have connections and ideas. However, I think some tend to be down on official certifications and the bureaucracy they bring. For what it's worth...

scott.nearing

Oct 15, 2012, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.omanclimbing.com/html/contact_us.html

Closer than the states but still on the other side of a continent. None the less, perhaps these folks can help you.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook