RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

N.tags

Oct 14, 2012, 5:52 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4280 views)
Shortcut

Want to try alpining in Patagonia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Alpining is completely foreign to me but i've been wanting to get into it for years. I've been sport and trad climbing for a few years now. I head to South America Nov - Feb 2013 and hope to have a taste of[reply][/reply] alpining in patagonia.
Is there a way to learn alpining without having to fork out thousand of dollars to go on an expedition.

Can anyone give me some info on organising a beginners trip "last minute" in patagonia. Any advice on best place to do it? There's a lot of info out there, but i'm stuck at where to start.

Cheers

shimanilami

Oct 14, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N.tags] Want to try alpining in Patagonia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bear Grylls makes some good survival videos. If you watched those and bought one of his knives, you'd probably be OK.

N.tags

Oct 14, 2012, 6:12 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't even know what that means. Any helpful responses?

rhythm164

Oct 14, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I look forward to reading about your trip in the Accidents column of a future issue of Rock & Ice

Gmburns2000

Oct 14, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

N.tags wrote:
Alpining is completely foreign to me but i've been wanting to get into it for years. I've been sport and trad climbing for a few years now. I head to South America Nov - Feb 2013 and hope to have a taste of[reply][/reply] alpining in patagonia.
Is there a way to learn alpining without having to fork out thousand of dollars to go on an expedition.

Can anyone give me some info on organising a beginners trip "last minute" in patagonia. Any advice on best place to do it? There's a lot of info out there, but i'm stuck at where to start.

Cheers

Patagonia is not a place to learn about alpine style climbing. Based on your question, you need a lot more experience. Go to S. America, find the places where you can climb at your limit, and enjoy the culture. Otherwise, find good partners / mentors who can help you advance your skills and experience more before trying something that you're not prepared for.

T2

gbmaz

Oct 14, 2012, 3:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Want to try alpining in Patagonia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Patagonia is not a place to learn about alpine style climbing. Based on your question, you need a lot more experience. Go to S. America, find the places where you can climb at your limit, and enjoy the culture. Otherwise, find good partners / mentors who can help you advance your skills and experience more before trying something that you're not prepared for.

T2

This x1000.

Going to Patagonia to learn alpine climbing is like trying to do open heart surgery when your only training is a First Aid Merit Badge. Someone is going to die.

At a bare minimum it will be a huge waste of money. If you don't have the mentors to learn with consider taking a course with the American Alpine Institute or go dirt bag around Rocky Mountain National Park or the Tetons. Buy some beers for locals and get out climbing with them.

On a related note I have been climbing for 20+ years and have never heard alpine climbing called "alpining".

skiclimb

Oct 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you grow up outdoors in a winter environment? If so Alpine climbing is an easily logical extension of climbing.

Take an avalanche course and read everything you can about it.

Once you do that and have the above mentioned experience you can go attempt whatever you like with a reasonable level of safety.

Without it go somewhere else

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook