RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Gronny

Oct 16, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #1 of 12 (6645 views)
Shortcut

Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy y'all.

I'm planning a trip this winter, looking at going to El Potrero Chico to do some climbing. I started looking into travel insurance, and am having some difficulties. I found plenty of companies that offer policies that cover rock climbing, but the issue is that the Canadian Government has put in place an 'Official Travel Advisory' against northern Mexico and it turns out that most companies don't like this.

Have any Canadians who have recently traveled to El Potrero Chico recently gotten out a travel insurance policy that cover your ass in an area with an official travel advisory? If not, does anyone know where to look, I've checked in with the Co-operaters (MEC), CAA, and Transat... all a no-go if there is a travel advisory.

Cheers!
S

USnavy

Oct 16, 2012, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 12 (6625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gronny] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gronny wrote:
Howdy y'all.

I'm planning a trip this winter, looking at going to El Potrero Chico to do some climbing. I started looking into travel insurance, and am having some difficulties. I found plenty of companies that offer policies that cover rock climbing, but the issue is that the Canadian Government has put in place an 'Official Travel Advisory' against northern Mexico and it turns out that most companies don't like this.

Have any Canadians who have recently traveled to El Potrero Chico recently gotten out a travel insurance policy that cover your ass in an area with an official travel advisory? If not, does anyone know where to look, I've checked in with the Co-operaters (MEC), CAA, and Transat... all a no-go if there is a travel advisory.

Cheers!
S
Insurance to cover medical or articles? I was under the understanding that your social healthcare system covers you outside Canada as well, is that not true? In the case of medical, you really dont want to get hurt in EPC. The nearest town has no qualified EMS personal, the ambulances are driven by the police and if I recall right, and it is about a 45 min drive to the nearest ER with an emergency vehicle.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Oct 16, 2012, 2:21 AM)

Gronny

Oct 16, 2012, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 12 (6608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, we have limited coverage outside of Canada, but we still do have coverage...

As for not getting insurance because its not a good idea to get hurt... I don't think that people plan to get hurt, but shit happens... hence the big wide world of insurance companies.

USnavy

Oct 16, 2012, 9:01 AM
Post #4 of 12 (6585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gronny] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gronny wrote:
Yea, we have limited coverage outside of Canada, but we still do have coverage...

As for not getting insurance because its not a good idea to get hurt... I don't think that people plan to get hurt, but shit happens... hence the big wide world of insurance companies.
I am just telling you that if you get critically injured in EPC dont expect a chopper to fly you to the ER on the express; thus, be careful. As far as medical insurance goes, you could try http://www.medexassist.com/. Also, the American Alpine Club offers limited rescue insurance for its members. I dont know if it only provides coverage for rescues themselves, or if they will cover medical bills as well. But, with a coverage limit of $10,000, that wont even put a dent in a major medical bill. If you are critically injured, you better hope you have at least $250,000 in coverage.

scottek67

Oct 16, 2012, 9:26 AM
Post #5 of 12 (6581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you book your flight with a travel agent get insurance with them. cheap too. I think last time I paid 25 bucks for a month included everything including cancellation insurance, medical, etc. they don't care if you're laying on the beach, bull-fighting or climbing rocks. if you are driving down you are on your own but good luck and have fun.

Partner camhead

Oct 16, 2012, 2:52 PM
Post #6 of 12 (6546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I am just telling you that if you get critically injured in EPC dont expect a chopper to fly you to the ER on the express; thus, be careful.

Funny, I've seen three separate chopper evacs out of the Potrero for climbers in past years.

To the original poster, I've purchased Mexican auto insurance from Sanborn's, a Laredo, TX company many times, and they are great to work with. Their page has some beta on medical insurance for travelers in Mexico:

http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/...edical_insurance.php

https://producer.imglobal.com/...FD5-14EA9A27CE7D1626

USnavy

Oct 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #7 of 12 (6495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:
I am just telling you that if you get critically injured in EPC dont expect a chopper to fly you to the ER on the express; thus, be careful.

Funny, I've seen three separate chopper evacs out of the Potrero for climbers in past years.
Well, I stand corrected then. When I last visited I was told not to expect a chopper if I get hurt.

edge

Oct 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #8 of 12 (6490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Well, I stand corrected then. When I last visited I was told not to expect a chopper if I get hurt.

Maybe they were talking about you specifically?

potreroed

Oct 17, 2012, 3:39 AM
Post #9 of 12 (6455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was injured there was a chopper there within 20 minutes. Unfortunately, they couldn't pick us off the wall so they had to wait 4 hours for us to get down but then I was in the best hospital in Monterrey in 10 minutes.

USnavy

Oct 17, 2012, 7:52 AM
Post #10 of 12 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Canadian looking for travel insurance for El Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
USnavy wrote:

How witty

Rudmin

Oct 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I recall my CAA insurance policy correctly, the only limitation was war zones and rally car racing. I successfully used it to pay for a broken clavicle in The US and a broken ankle in France.

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2012, 2:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (6309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
USnavy wrote:

you owe me a new computer... ... and some white paint to fix the wall. I can vacuum the rest.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook