RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

zoe.b.hall

Oct 20, 2012, 3:57 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Colleges for climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a senoir in highschool and I'm now doing the stressful college searches, I want to go for environmental science. I live for climbing! I compete with usa climbing and would like to contuine to do that in the college climbing series. And it be cool if my college had a rad local craig. Let me know of any cool colleges that fit my climbing needs!
thanks, Zoe

larwood91

Oct 20, 2012, 7:22 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zoe.b.hall] Colleges for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to the UofArkansas Fayetteville. There's plenty of climbing around. Lincoln Lake crags is about 25 minutes away which is where I frequent just because of proximity. Several other climbing destinations withing an hour or two, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, Fern, Sam's Throne, etc etc. It's not really my thing but there's a nice bouldering wall that they just redid in our rec center. I love it here, milder winters make year round climbing fairly doable.

marc801

Oct 20, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

zoe.b.hall wrote:
I am a senoir in highschool and I'm now doing the stressful college searches, I want to go for environmental science. I live for climbing! I compete with usa climbing and would like to contuine to do that in the college climbing series. And it be cool if my college had a rad local craig. Let me know of any cool colleges that fit my climbing needs!
thanks, Zoe
Colorado University. I don't know how many Craigs there are in Boulder or if they're sufficiently rad, but there are a lot of climbing crags.

theextremist04

Oct 20, 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [larwood91] Colleges for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

larwood91 wrote:
I go to the UofArkansas Fayetteville. There's plenty of climbing around. Lincoln Lake crags is about 25 minutes away which is where I frequent just because of proximity. Several other climbing destinations withing an hour or two, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, Fern, Sam's Throne, etc etc. It's not really my thing but there's a nice bouldering wall that they just redid in our rec center. I love it here, milder winters make year round climbing fairly doable.
Arkansas is far from a good school for climbing- most of the local Fayetteville crags are mediocre at best. And 2 hours is quite the hike to anything else.

CU Boulder is a good choice, so is University of Utah. U of U isn't as strong academically, but the Wasatch are so good.

EcoCimber34

Oct 21, 2012, 8:06 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] Colleges for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

James Madison University- Harrisonburg, VA

-20,000 + students
-70% female
-World Class Environmental Engineering/Science program through JMU CIAST

Climbing Wise:
-Closet Crag: Hidden Rocks (20 mins)
-Old Rag (1 Hour) Some of the best granite splitters in the east
- Franklin, WV (1 hour) sport
-smoke Hole Canyon, WV (1-1/2)
-SENECA (1-1/2 hours)
-NRG (2 hours)
-Elizabeth Furnace (1 Hour)

FullertonImages

Oct 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

zoe.b.hall wrote:
thanks, Zoe

You just can't beat CU for climbing, and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong. Within 15 minutes you have great bouldering on Flaggstaff, 1,000ft routes on the Flatirons, tons of sport and trad in Boulder Canyon, and epic hard man trad in Eldo. Go a little further, and you've got Clear Creek Canyon, Table Mountain, Cottonwood Canyon, Goldengate State Park, Rock Mountain National Park, Lumpy Ridge, Big Thompson Canyon, all within just about an hour. Go a little furrier than that, and you've got South Platte, 11mile Canyon, Veadavoo and more. Plus your only 6 hours from Moab.

Not to mention, three of the best gyms in the country are here, as well as many of the significant comps on the national circuit. Plus, if you're already competing with USA Climbing, many of their events, including the SCS Nationals, ABS Nationals, and Teva Mountain Games Bouldering World Cup (in Vail), happen here.

Not to mention, th tons of other climbers, great gear shops, and awesome outdoor/climbers community, adventure film festivals, and world class anything else you want to do outside here too.

When it comes to climbing, I don't think any other university can compare with CU. There's just too much around here. I'm not going to actually add it up, but I bet thes easily more than 5,000 routes within two hours.

guangzhou

Oct 22, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FullertonImages] Colleges for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CU definitely gets my vote too.

marc801

Oct 22, 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FullertonImages] Colleges for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FullertonImages wrote:
...great gear shops,...
I visited Boulder for the first time in a decade recently to see friends. Are there really any gear shops left other than Neptune and REI?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.75 (10% off)
$32.36 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$126.00 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook