Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
deep water soloing gloves.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


iclimbaround


Oct 20, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #1 of 12 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 20, 2012
Posts: 3

deep water soloing gloves.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i was wondering if you guys knew anywhere to buy gloves made for deep water soloing. i solo in the bahamas in coves and what not, anywho the rocks are razor sharp near the water and usually wet higher up. cant go barehanded despite my climbing callouses. i have been using scuba gloves but they usually only last about 10 climbs before the fingers have holes. i had envisioned a glove similar to scuba gloves, thin and snug and when wet hardly move at all on my hands, with rubber sole pads on the finger tips, basically same rubber as climbing shoes adhered to the fingertips of the gloves. maybe three pads on each finger to allow bending, but really fingertips would be all i would need. do you guys know of any!? or can anyone make these?


acorneau


Oct 21, 2012, 6:23 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4069 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [iclimbaround] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iclimbaround wrote:
so i was wondering if you guys knew anywhere to buy gloves made for deep water soloing. i solo in the bahamas in coves and what not, anywho the rocks are razor sharp near the water and usually wet higher up. cant go barehanded despite my climbing callouses. i have been using scuba gloves but they usually only last about 10 climbs before the fingers have holes. i had envisioned a glove similar to scuba gloves, thin and snug and when wet hardly move at all on my hands, with rubber sole pads on the finger tips, basically same rubber as climbing shoes adhered to the fingertips of the gloves. maybe three pads on each finger to allow bending, but really fingertips would be all i would need. do you guys know of any!? or can anyone make these?


Rubber-clad deep water soloing gloves are aid!

Laugh

Go to the hardware store and I'm sure you'll find rubberized gloves, they seem to be very popular products. No, they won't have C4 or Stealth rubber but they might work for you.


JimTitt


Oct 21, 2012, 8:28 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4054 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 985

Re: [iclimbaround] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in some ways I sympathise, I used to deep-water boulder in Greece with the same difficulty. I work with metal all day anyway so my ands are pretty shredded, I just manned up a bit!
Your best bet would be diving gloves and paint stealth rubber on the wear bits, itīs still aid and a bit girlie but thatīs your choice!


iclimbaround


Oct 21, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 20, 2012
Posts: 3

Re: [acorneau] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

who cares! lol. id rather have an aided climb and get a great workout and experience nature than tear my hands up and not be able to work. i got responsibilities baby!


iclimbaround


Oct 21, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 20, 2012
Posts: 3

Re: [JimTitt] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

now now, play nice. its not girly, its smart. i climb for fun and for a workout. i also have a job that requires me to use my hands, so while im stuck in the bahamas deep water soloing is my only choice. i dont know about greece but these rocks are basically razors so no gloves isnt an option, i tried it and regretted it.

anywho, where would i get stealth rubber that is paint-able?


guangzhou


Oct 22, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #6 of 12 (3942 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [iclimbaround] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Aid maybe, maybe not. Of course, years ago people argued that climbing shoes with sticky rubber was cheating.

Consider a tight pair of golf gloves. Using Barge cement, same as for resoling climbing shoes, glue some sticky rubber on the finger and palm. The rubber should protect the gloves.


JimTitt


Oct 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #7 of 12 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 985

Re: [iclimbaround] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

iclimbaround wrote:

anywho, where would i get stealth rubber that is paint-able?

From 5.10
http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4280-stealthr-paint-kit


namoclimber


Nov 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3497 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Posts: 118

Re: [iclimbaround] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used to teach diving and we use buy tool dip for the fingers. Just dip em and let it dry works amazing for the task and bonds super good.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Paint/Specialty/Miscellaneous/COATING-RBR-PLASTI-DIP-BLK-429ML/_/N-ntlqtZ2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5411716?Ntt=tool+dip

Wink


knubs


Nov 22, 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 2, 2011
Posts: 64

Re: [namoclimber] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

namoclimber wrote:
I used to teach diving and we use buy tool dip for the fingers. Just dip em and let it dry works amazing for the task and bonds super good.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Paint/Specialty/Miscellaneous/COATING-RBR-PLASTI-DIP-BLK-429ML/_/N-ntlqtZ2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5411716?Ntt=tool+dip

Wink


how easily does that come off skin?


namoclimber


Nov 22, 2012, 8:19 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3444 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Posts: 118

Re: [knubs] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure....should probably just use it to coat the wetsuit gloves.Wink


knubs


Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 2, 2011
Posts: 64

Re: [namoclimber] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

namoclimber wrote:
Not sure....should probably just use it to coat the wetsuit gloves.Wink

i figured you would dip the gloves, but i have one hand and i was wondering if i could dip my nub in that stuff and be able to get it off Tongue sorry totally random and off topic but i had never heard of that product and your post kind of triggered a light bulb in my head because my friends and i always joked that i should find some "liquid climbing rubber" that i could dip/coat my nub in for when i climb, and this looks like it might be a start!!! i have some wacked out ideas some times but half the time they work! haha


Wade308


Nov 27, 2012, 8:14 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3282 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2012
Posts: 57

Re: [knubs] deep water soloing gloves. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe you could make a "nub glove" out of latex, or something, and then dip it?


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook