RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

buffalotarheel

Oct 22, 2012, 5:32 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1527 views)
Shortcut

El Capitan Film Restoration
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Saw this over in the Supertopo forum...great movie!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1765735821/el-capitan-film-restoration

The digital restoration of the classic 1968 Rock climbing film, El Capitan.

Launched: Oct 1, 2012
Funding ends: Oct 31, 2012

"Even though El Capitan was no longer being distributed, I continued to get inquires and requests for the film. When very, poor, quality bootlegged copies started showing up on the Internet, I knew I had to do something. I decided to look at the original film, that ran through the camera, and to my surprise after almost 45 years, it still looked pretty good. I had it digitized (scanned) in high definition. The new technology is of such high resolution that every little scratch and bit of dirt on the film showed up crystal clear. In order to restore the film to its original condition, over 86,000 frames, one frame at a time, has to be digitally cleaned and repaired. With digital software we are able to reconstruct the film with all the original effects, restore the color, and make it look even better than the 16mm film prints.

After several years of being repeatedly asked, “Whatever happened to the climbers?” I approached them with the idea of making a film that would reveal their lives today, and have them recall their memories of filming El Capitan. About a year ago, I started filming and have captured some delightful and insightful moments of their lives and accomplishments. Though still being edited, the film is turning out to be candid and entertaining. When it is finished, it will be included on the DVD with the restored El Capitan.

With the money that I hope to raise from Kickstarter contributors, I will be able to complete the El Capitan film restoration, finish “Whatever happened to the climbers?” (working title) and prepare the DVD master.

After being out of distribution for over 10 years, with your help, the classic film, El Capitan, will finally be available again, restored in HD and looking better than ever.

If you would be inclined to pass this information on to your friends by way of Twitter and Facebook, it would really help.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Fred Padula"

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2012, 7:31 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [buffalotarheel] El Capitan Film Restoration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buffalotarheel wrote:
Saw this over in the Supertopo forum...great movie!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/...tan-film-restoration

The digital restoration of the classic 1968 Rock climbing film, El Capitan.

Launched: Oct 1, 2012
Funding ends: Oct 31, 2012

"Even though El Capitan was no longer being distributed, I continued to get inquires and requests for the film. When very, poor, quality bootlegged copies started showing up on the Internet, I knew I had to do something. I decided to look at the original film, that ran through the camera, and to my surprise after almost 45 years, it still looked pretty good. I had it digitized (scanned) in high definition. The new technology is of such high resolution that every little scratch and bit of dirt on the film showed up crystal clear. In order to restore the film to its original condition, over 86,000 frames, one frame at a time, has to be digitally cleaned and repaired. With digital software we are able to reconstruct the film with all the original effects, restore the color, and make it look even better than the 16mm film prints.

After several years of being repeatedly asked, “Whatever happened to the climbers?” I approached them with the idea of making a film that would reveal their lives today, and have them recall their memories of filming El Capitan. About a year ago, I started filming and have captured some delightful and insightful moments of their lives and accomplishments. Though still being edited, the film is turning out to be candid and entertaining. When it is finished, it will be included on the DVD with the restored El Capitan.

With the money that I hope to raise from Kickstarter contributors, I will be able to complete the El Capitan film restoration, finish “Whatever happened to the climbers?” (working title) and prepare the DVD master.

After being out of distribution for over 10 years, with your help, the classic film, El Capitan, will finally be available again, restored in HD and looking better than ever.

If you would be inclined to pass this information on to your friends by way of Twitter and Facebook, it would really help.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Fred Padula"

clicky - and good luck!

skiclimb

Oct 24, 2012, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are not too many things that drastically changed the course of my life.

This film really did. I borrowed this film in VHS so many times from my local climbing shop (AMH).

So eventually I ended up driving into Yosemite completely sleep deprived and nodding off at the wheel through Tuolumne..I crushed my fingers in the window .. I yelled and screamed in order to stay awake.. I could not stop

There was only one place I wanted to go.. As I came around the corner after exiting a tunnel I saw ElCap for the first time..

I navigated a crazy bunch of roads and drove past camp four at a high rate of speed.. I found some pullout next to a meadow and stared upward at my destination ..jumped out of the car grabbing my rock shoes.

I nearly flew through the woods and came to the sacred stone... I touched it, put my shoes on and began to climb...

Thanks Fred

Lets make this happen

skiclimb

Oct 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] El Capitan Film Restoration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please help out with this.. I'll be doubling my donation soon. Not too far to go 5 days left

Wade308

Oct 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] El Capitan Film Restoration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just upped mine to $30 and posted a link on my Facebook page.
Hopefully this will get funded. Smile

buffalotarheel

Oct 27, 2012, 3:11 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] El Capitan Film Restoration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Less than $1000 to go...

skiclimb

Oct 28, 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Goal passed but if you have not ordered this video and have not seen it..

You are missing the greatest climbing film ever made

spend $20 to get the Bluray

you will see what a climbing movie should be

you WILL be blown away

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook