RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 25, 2012, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 19 (8331 views)
Shortcut

Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have an ETD from NY to CA slated for November 1st and....about enough gas money to get me to New Jersey.

As some know, good old Swanky had to be put down recently, since he couldn't pass NY Inspection. Luckily, I did get a new van(still to be named) which is this:

Though I got a great deal, there went the gas money....

So....at $25 a chalkbag, I figure that if I can sell 40 of them, and have no breakdowns or other unfortunate incidents along the way, I'll make it.

Yes - I know it is a promo thread. Flame away, have a mod delete it, go to town at unbunching any shorts which have creeped into your crack, if you feel the need.

Here are a few pictures of the current inventory:

I make these myself, and each one takes about 2 hours time. They are finished with hand stitching. If you would like more information on what makes my backs what they are, http://www.climbaddictdesigns.com/...ddict-chalkbags.html

You can see the lineup of available styles here: http://www.climbaddictdesigns.com/shop-chalkbags.html

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Oct 25, 2012, 4:22 PM)

lena_chita

Oct 25, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #2 of 19 (8284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought the great thing about NYC was that you could just hop on the plane and go climbing wherever you wanted to? There was no mention of cash shortage in that advice.

Gmburns2000

Oct 25, 2012, 6:22 PM
Post #3 of 19 (8265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I thought the great thing about NYC was that you could just hop on the plane and go climbing wherever you wanted to? There was no mention of cash shortage in that advice.

huh?

ki6ojv

Oct 25, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #4 of 19 (8262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We can never have to many California Girls!

Some of those bags are cute! I ordered one for the wife.

lena_chita

Oct 25, 2012, 6:31 PM
Post #5 of 19 (8256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

huh?

That was Happy's advice to a guy who looked for sport climbing near NYC. She suggested he should be flying to Las Vegas for the weekend of sport climbing.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 25, 2012, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 19 (8253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greg - Lena is referring to a post I made in response to a woman who wanted to know about sport climbing near NYC.

I told her the great thing about NYC was...(Lena paraphrased it).

I don't recall that girl mentioning she needed to be considering her cash flow when seeking a crag. As for my situation - it costs quite a bit more to do the cross-country drive than to fly, but since I have a dog, and the van is my home for the several months, it is what it is.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the bump....

ki6ojv - Thanks for the order! I LOVE that material from the bag you chose. I had only enough to make 2 chalkbags and one handbag for myself with it. I have no doubt your wife will really like it. The chenille threads woven as the stripes are just so pretty.

Gmburns2000

Oct 25, 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 19 (8251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

huh?

That was Happy's advice to a guy who looked for sport climbing near NYC. She suggested he should be flying to Las Vegas for the weekend of sport climbing.

oh. ok. sorry.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 25, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #8 of 19 (8242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what I wrote in that thread...
In reply to:
The thing that makes NYC SO awesome, from a climbing perspective....is that it is pretty easy to get to the airport, get on a plane and get to any climbing destination with a fair amount of ease(in comparison to living near smaller towns).

Red Rock would be one example. Get on a Red Eye out of JFK on Friday night to land in the morning in Las Vegas. Rent a car(Vegas has a very easy airport to car rental hub) and then you just minutes from some fantastic sport climbing. Climb Saturday and Sunday, and red eye back to NY. Voila!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2602341;#2602341

You know - when I lived in NYC, I was able to do just that. Though I was flying the the south instead. And this was long after the days of a six-figure income had ended for me. I was able to do this on the dog-walking income I had.

Nowdays, I live on about 10K a year - no airplanes for weekend climbing trips for me. Nonetheless - I don't think it is all that unheard of for NYC people who work in a commercially professional field (finance, design, and such) to be able to do a long weekend trip like that a month.

dagibbs

Oct 25, 2012, 7:36 PM
Post #9 of 19 (8212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

Nonetheless - I don't think it is all that unheard of for NYC people who work in a commercially professional field (finance, design, and such) to be able to do a long weekend trip like that a month.

I met some people at Rumney earlier this year who had flown up from NYC for the weekend in one of the group's private plane.

gogounou

Oct 25, 2012, 8:02 PM
Post #10 of 19 (8198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Nonetheless - I don't think it is all that unheard of for NYC people who work in a commercially professional field (finance, design, and such) to be able to do a long weekend trip like that a month.

I met some people at Rumney earlier this year who had flown up from NYC for the weekend in one of the group's private plane.

<hijack>
Never have I read a sentence that so succinctly summarizes many of my frustrations with NYC and some of my frustrations with Rumney.
</hijack>

Good luck on getting the trip together, happie.

J

(This post was edited by gogounou on Oct 25, 2012, 8:04 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 25, 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #11 of 19 (8187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogounou] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the good wishes.

I wonder if the Rimney group who flew in was the same guy I met in JTree a couple years ago. The guy owned a share in a plane. Actually I guess he had a share in a few planes.

He was a young professional, maybe 30 years old at most, and pretty down to earth. It blew apart my preconceptions as to what someone who would have their own plane would be like.... I did have to laugh, though, when he said "Oh, it's not as expensive as you might think."

caughtinside

Oct 25, 2012, 8:27 PM
Post #12 of 19 (8175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how you'd get off a redeye and climb well. They call those redeyes for a reason.

Maybe some folks handle upright sleeping positions, crying babies and a bone dry nasal canal better than I do though.

csproul

Oct 25, 2012, 8:53 PM
Post #13 of 19 (8153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
I don't know how you'd get off a redeye and climb well. They call those redeyes for a reason.

Maybe some folks handle upright sleeping positions, crying babies and a bone dry nasal canal better than I do though.
Ya well...Pedro clearly established in the other thread that you are a pussy, right?Wink

caughtinside

Oct 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #14 of 19 (8137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Ya well...Pedro clearly established in the other thread that you are a pussy, right?Wink

Pedro established quite a bit in that other thread. Leaves no doubt in my mind that one thing he hasn't established is a sport route on choss or sharp stone.

But I am a wimp about flying all night. I'm usually near hallucination after a red eye. Couldn't imagine climbing and feeling anything but weak and unconfident after a night on a plane. I do my best sending when I go straight to the gym from the day spa.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #15 of 19 (8000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to those who have placed orders - it is very much appreciated.

I will be spending Sunday doing the hand work to finish off the bags, first ordered, first finished.

And I needed to buy some more corset boning, and couldn't resist stopping in to the place where I source piece goods.... Got some really beautiful materials and so I decided to also get in three days in the sewing room to push through as many as I can(which isn't all that many...) But - I will take pictures of the new ones and post, as I know that the selection on website could use some more colorful pieces.

Wait till you see the new material, which I will call Sunset Stripe!

Gmburns2000

Oct 27, 2012, 5:59 PM
Post #16 of 19 (7995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll vouch for the chalkbags Terrie makes. They're pretty sweet and hold up well. Mine is still going strong after a couple of years with no sign of going bad any time soon. This says a lot since my previous mass-produced bags in the past never lasted more than a season before the straps or clasps broke. I have zero doubts that Terrie's bag will last me quite a few more years at least.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #17 of 19 (7992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Glad to hear it Greg!

I do try to make a good chalkbag, but admit I am not above screwing up. Especially some of the ones that have a fabric looser weave - I have realized I need to cut the pieces with a bigger seem allowance and then add a second row of stitching to minimize the possibility of having the seam pull.

Since I make only 2 or 3 pieces from most of the materials (though there are some I can get more from), every one has different characteristics. It really is pretty much a custom job on every bag, even though I do tend to do the same design(top and bottom panels, and loops in trim material)

USnavy

Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #18 of 19 (7824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
As some know, good old Swanky had to be put down recently, since he couldn't pass NY Inspection.
There are ways around that. The easiest being you just register it out of state. Use a friend's or your parent's address. My vehicle is registered in one state, insured in another, and my driver's license is from a third. All 50 states have DMV reciprocal agreements which allow you to drive any vehicle registered in any state in any other state. Hawaii is the only state with an exception simply because one cannot just drive here, which means if your vehicle is here, you probably live here. But even then, it is possible to drive an out of state registered vehicle with a special permit in Hawaii.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Nov 1, 2012, 11:42 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 1, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #19 of 19 (7801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Need to Sell 40 Chalkbags To Get To CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been told about that, but my conscience wouldn't allow me to do it. The van was not safe for the road, I am pretty sure.

One day, I backed out of my parking spot and saw a big piece of - something - where I had been parked. Checked it out and it was a rectangle of rusted metal about the size of a double burner cast iron griddle... Looked under the van for a corresponding spot and saw where it had come from. A delam job worst than an awful resole! It wasn't the entire panel, but a portion of it, and seemed to me to be some sort of protective plate for the base of the engine.

There is a local Gunkie who had a rust bucket in which the rear support gave way and next thing, his back quarter panel was scraping asphalt. Lucky for him he was driving very slowly and next to a place he could pull off. I could have seen something similar happening with Swank.

It's one thing to put myself at risk, but knowingly driving a vehicle into the ground where the possibility of having that ground-breaker be something that could injure or kill some innocent person who happened to be driving nearby - not okay.

At any rate - the new rig cost only $1,200, which is very cheap for a van with only 65K miles on it. It runs well, but I am seeing some brake fluid leakage, so it goes to get looked at on Monday. I think it is just a seal from having sat without being driven for many months, as I see moisture at the connection where that spiraling line comes from the master,

New ETD is next Wednesday! Two more sewing room days..... Will have some more bags available(though not hand-finished).

The thought of

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook