Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


bingo100


Oct 27, 2012, 2:35 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1743 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 27, 2012
Posts: 1

Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I bought a Petzl Corax size 2 but I'm not sure if its the preferable size for me.

My waist size is 86 cm.

Petzl says that:
1) Size 1 (S/L) is recommended for waists up to 90 cm.
2) Size 2 (M/XL) is recommended from 75 cm to 105 cm.

So I'm between those too sizes.

I took a few photos that show how its fitting







I took these photos with the adjustable stripes fully extended (i.e. not possible to tighten it anymore).

Does it look like a proper fit?

Thanks for your comments.


(This post was edited by bingo100 on Oct 27, 2012, 2:38 PM)


acorneau


Oct 27, 2012, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [bingo100] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bingo100 wrote:
Hello, I bought a Petzl Corax size 2 but I'm not sure if its the preferable size for me.

My waist size is 86 cm.

Petzl says that:
1) Size 1 (S/L) is recommended for waists up to 90 cm.
2) Size 2 (M/XL) is recommended from 75 cm to 105 cm.

So I'm between those too sizes.

I took a few photos that show how its fitting







I took these photos with the adjustable stripes fully extended (i.e. not possible to tighten it anymore).

Does it look like a proper fit?

Thanks for your comments.


It it above your hips?

Is it tight enough that your hip bones can't come though the harness?

Is it comfortable to hang in for roughly five minutes at a time?

Do you expect to stay as slim as you are now?

If the answer to ALL of these questions is "yes" then it's probably the right size. If the answer is "no" to any of these questions then probably not.


crjanow


Nov 3, 2012, 5:56 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2008
Posts: 69

Re: [bingo100] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bingo100 wrote:
Hello, I bought a Petzl Corax size 2 but I'm not sure if its the preferable size for me.

My waist size is 86 cm.

Petzl says that:
1) Size 1 (S/L) is recommended for waists up to 90 cm.
2) Size 2 (M/XL) is recommended from 75 cm to 105 cm.

So I'm between those too sizes.

I took a few photos that show how its fitting

[image]http://s7.postimage.org/lilkf14uv/2012_10_27_15_21_22.jpg[/image]

[image]http://s7.postimage.org/cc39rqzmf/2012_10_27_15_20_35.jpg[/image]

[image]http://s7.postimage.org/w7z97agnr/2012_10_27_15_20_51.jpg[/image]

I took these photos with the adjustable stripes fully extended (i.e. not possible to tighten it anymore).

Does it look like a proper fit?

Thanks for your comments.
it would be easier to tell if you were nude. take new pictures and lets see


patto


Nov 3, 2012, 7:02 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Posts: 1451

Re: [acorneau] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Is it tight enough that your hip bones can't come though the harness?

This is the number one question. If it can slip down as it is currently then you should not use it. If it is difficult to tighten to a position where it wont slip down then don't use it.


A basic test for the right fit is you should be able to slide your hand down the harness belt. But if you make a fist your shouldn't be able to pull it out easily.


skellie


Nov 3, 2012, 8:32 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 8, 2008
Posts: 54

Re: [bingo100] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you're going to fall out of it, it's too big. If you can't get it on, it's too small. If you don't know what's going to happen, get an experienced climber you trust to help you.


Partner robdotcalm


Nov 3, 2012, 8:50 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2002
Posts: 1023

Re: [skellie] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My guess is that this was bought over the internet and not from a knowledgeable retailer.

rob.calm


Khoi


Nov 3, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 10, 2008
Posts: 292

Re: [patto] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

patto wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Is it tight enough that your hip bones can't come though the harness?

This is the number one question. If it can slip down as it is currently then you should not use it. If it is difficult to tighten to a position where it wont slip down then don't use it.


A basic test for the right fit is you should be able to slide your hand down the harness belt. But if you make a fist your shouldn't be able to pull it out easily.

Why should you be able to slide your hand through it at all? I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with being able to do that, but I can definitely envision some noob putting on a harness that fits properly but rejecting it because he/she thinks that their hand doesn't slide through "properly".

Let's keep it as simple as possible: A basic test for the right fit is that you can not push the harness waist belt down over your hips no matter how hard you try.


marc801


Nov 3, 2012, 1:59 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2726

Re: [robdotcalm] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
My guess is that this was bought over the internet and not from a knowledgeable retailer.
What's more, the OP was asking if the seams on the harness fit properly, and no one has even mentioned the seams.


patto


Nov 3, 2012, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Posts: 1451

Re: [Khoi] Does this seam like a good harness fit (size)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
Why should you be able to slide your hand through it at all? I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with being able to do that, but I can definitely envision some noob putting on a harness that fits properly but rejecting it because he/she thinks that their hand doesn't slide through "properly".
It is to convey to people who have never worn a harness that it doesn't have to be super tight. Otherwise you may have people cinching up the belt crazy tight trying to be safe!

Khoi wrote:
Let's keep it as simple as possible: A basic test for the right fit is that you can not push the harness waist belt down over your hips no matter how hard you try.
But choosing a correctly sized harness is not simply meeting the minimum safe requirements. We both agree on the essentials, if advising on fitting you need to advise more than just minimum safety requirements.


(This post was edited by patto on Nov 3, 2012, 5:46 PM)


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook