Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Seismologists convicted of manslaughter?!?!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

LostinMaine

Oct 27, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (281 views)
Shortcut

Seismologists convicted of manslaughter?!?!
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The court ruled on Monday that six scientists and one ex-government official were guilty of manslaughter for failing to adequately warn Italians about a deadly 2009 earthquake in L'Aquila, in the Abruzzo region. Each defendant was sentenced to six years in prison.

http://www.cbc.ca/...rediction-italy.html

My favorite quote in the article is:
In reply to:
"The public wants the scientists to say there will be one or there wonít be one. And I think itís hard for the public to understand that a scientist canít say that.Ē

It appears; however, that if a scientist does not explicitly warn a community about a specific act of god, they are held accountable. By definition, it is outside of human control.

Simply astounding. It makes me sick.

pinktricam

Oct 27, 2012, 5:08 PM
Post #2 of 3 (276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Seismologists convicted of manslaughter?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so proud. After this ruling, the US can no longer be considered the most scientifically ignorant society in the world.

(This post was edited by pinktricam on Oct 27, 2012, 8:38 PM)

petsfed

Oct 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #3 of 3 (253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Seismologists convicted of manslaughter?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately pinky, you can think of the credibility we give to scientists as a sort of continuum. On one end, there's a total lack of credibility: anything a scientist says must, of necessity, be bullshit leavened with big words that mean bullshit. On the other end is the total credibility that Italy has apparently given their scientists, where the people take the first order, uncorrected hypotheses as the gospel truth.

America is pretty clearly on the zero-credibility side of the spectrum. We need to be right smack dab in the middle, where people are prepared to listen to scientists, particularly to the claimed region of applicability, but don't misconstrue a statement by a scientist as absolutely binding.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook