RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

coolhand1

Oct 27, 2012, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Heel Tendon Issue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have symptom that usually happens after I get on my feet from a resting position. It feels like a tendon pops out of a groove and then pops back in really quick. No pain but it is a little disconcerting and I feel like it could become painful.

It is not my achilles but slightly lateral of that on my heel. Hoping someone has experience with this or maybe oneceahardman can chime in.

Thanks

FullertonImages

Oct 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolhand1] Heel Tendon Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a case of Slippery Heel Interconnective Tissue. Nt much you can do about it, SHIT happens...

onceahardman

Oct 28, 2012, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coolhand1 wrote:
I have symptom that usually happens after I get on my feet from a resting position. It feels like a tendon pops out of a groove and then pops back in really quick. No pain but it is a little disconcerting and I feel like it could become painful.

It is not my achilles but slightly lateral of that on my heel. Hoping someone has experience with this or maybe oneceahardman can chime in.

Thanks

Very tough to figure out from the given info,

When you say, slighty lateral to the achilles tendon, how far is that? There are several tendons that travel posteriorly to the lateral malleolus, perhaps most notably to climbers is flexor hallucis longus (FHL). But I can't tell if this is too far laterally.

Could also be some damage to the lateral achilles itself, a kind of "pump bump" from tight shoes or other trauma, that "pops" sometimes.

A general ankle/foot strengthening regimen, with lots of proprioception training, could very well help. Also, since this seems to happen when you begin weightbearing from a resting postion, you might consider changing your resting position if possible.

coolhand1

Nov 2, 2012, 7:35 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Heel Tendon Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
coolhand1 wrote:

Thanks

Very tough to figure out from the given info,

When you say, slighty lateral to the achilles tendon, how far is that? There are several tendons that travel posteriorly to the lateral malleolus, perhaps most notably to climbers is flexor hallucis longus (FHL). But I can't tell if this is too far laterally.

Could also be some damage to the lateral achilles itself, a kind of "pump bump" from tight shoes or other trauma, that "pops" sometimes.

A general ankle/foot strengthening regimen, with lots of proprioception training, could very well help. Also, since this seems to happen when you begin weightbearing from a resting postion, you might consider changing your resting position if possible.
Thanks for responding and sorry it took me so long to respond back.

I am going to take your advice and start a stretching routine and also pay a little more attention to how I have my foot rested. I appreciate the response.

onceahardman

Nov 3, 2012, 4:20 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't advise you to start a stretching routine.

I did advise you to start a strengthening/proprioception program.

If you don't know the difference, do some research, or see a good PT.

onceahardman

Nov 3, 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This article is pretty comprehensive. See especially the section on proprioceptive and balance exercises:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164373/

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Nov 3, 2012, 11:52 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook