RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

alexkthayer

Oct 28, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4935 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

My partner and I climbed the first four pitches of Gift of the Wind Gods yesterday. It is a great line with decent climbing on mediocre rock. We did notice a number of substandard 1/4 inch bolts on the first four pitches before we bailed due to lack of time and not being prepared to lead this climb with moderate objective hazard at an adequate speed. When we bailed from pitch four, we rappelled to a fall line 60 meter rappel station (not part of the route). Here was my first experience in over 20 years of climbing of anchor failure. The anchor consisted of two 1/4 inch bolts with a single piece of 3/4 inch webbing looped through in an American death triangle. The webbing was intact but didn't look good so I backed it up with my own, and I backed up the entire station with a cam for the first rappeler. The existing sling failed during my rappel, and my backup system held with about 1/2 inch extension. it's a good reminder that fixed anchors do fail. More accidents obviously are waiting to happen.

Alex Thayer

(This post was edited by alexkthayer on Oct 28, 2012, 5:17 PM)

marc801

Oct 28, 2012, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexkthayer] Red Rocks rappel station failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

alexkthayer wrote:
My partner and I climbed the first four pitches of Gift of the Wind Gods yesterday. It is a great line with decent climbing on mediocre rock. We did notice a number of substandard 1/4 inch bolts on the first four pitches before we bailed due to lack of time and not being prepared to lead this climb with moderate objective hazard at an adequate speed. When we bailed from pitch four, we rappelled to a fall line 60 meter rappel station (not part of the route). Here was my first experience in over 20 years of climbing of anchor failure. The anchor consisted of two 1/4 inch bolts with a single piece of 3/4 inch webbing looped through in an American death triangle. The webbing was intact but didn't look good so I backed it up with my own, and I backed up the entire station with a cam for the first rappeler. The existing sling failed during my rappel, and my backup system held with about 1/2 inch extension. it's a good reminder that fixed anchors do fail. More accidents obviously are waiting to happen.

Alex Thayer
Well actually, it sounds like merely an old piece of tat failing, not the rap station itself, so let's cut back on the sensationalism, m'kay? From the thread title, I though you were going to say the bolts pulled. Seriously, faded 3/4" webbing in an ADT config? Surprising you even tried it without just cutting it out and replacing it with your own webbing.

Sounds like a spicy route - one that I've not heard of till now....
http://www.mountainproject.com/...-wind-gods/105818088

gblauer

Oct 28, 2012, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexkthayer] Red Rocks rappel station failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

glad you are ok! Chilling story.

potreroed

Oct 28, 2012, 9:32 PM
Post #4 of 11 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexkthayer] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

If there was nothing but a single sling on there it means that somebody pulled their rope directly over the sling. Just one pull over sling like that reduces it's strength drastically. I'm with marc, you should have cut that off and replaced it right away, no questions asked.

socalclimber

Oct 29, 2012, 5:23 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is the reason why a number of my slings are hand tied super tape. They are cheap, and I can leave them behind to back up tat anchors.

The only thing "chilling" about this post is that a "20 year" climber seemed surprised by this. Anyone with any real time under their belt would know up front that multi pitch routes = tat.

Trashed slings are everywhere, especially on seldom climbed routes.

Glad nobody was hurt.

csproul

Oct 29, 2012, 7:19 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexkthayer] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

It is not surprising that there was tat on a route, but in my 20 years, I have never actually seen one fail either. Good on you for backing it up and keeping yourself safe.

majid_sabet

Oct 29, 2012, 9:20 AM
Post #7 of 11 (4619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two climbers died two years ago in East Coast when webbing on their rap anchor broke apart.Their accident report was posted on RC.

granite_grrl

Oct 29, 2012, 9:59 AM
Post #8 of 11 (4603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
It is not surprising that there was tat on a route, but in my 20 years, I have never actually seen one fail either. Good on you for backing it up and keeping yourself safe.

Yup, I've rapped on any number of tat anchors having them backed up like the OP (thankfully) did. While I suspect these anchors enough to keep up this practice, I'd probably shit my pants if I actually had to make use of my backup because some element of the anchor broke.

socalclimber

Oct 29, 2012, 2:23 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's another little tidbit for you. Years ago while rapping off a route (I think it was Daff Dome), we came to a tree with a bunch of tat. I first thought, well there's enough material here (like 20 slings all old) and figured no problem. I decided to feel around the back of the tree that was covered by a bush and low and behold I found out that the critters had been munching on the slings and the whole lot was basically threads. I seriously doubt that would have held 175lbs of me.

We girth hitched several sewn runners together and left them behind.

Rudmin

Nov 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:

I was at RRG last week. I grabbed some old slings around a tree and ripped them all off with one pull.

billcoe_

Feb 25, 2013, 3:53 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Red Rocks rappel sling failure--no injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim Donini reported a similar experience recently. The guy has more climbing experience than 99% of the planet, and had he not tied a backup, would have died when a sling broke on rappel.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook