RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Jjostes1

Oct 31, 2012, 9:53 AM
Post #1 of 13 (4422 views)
Shortcut

New Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for sometime now and decided I am going to my own shoes. Does any one have any suggestions. And why

acorneau

Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #2 of 13 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jjostes1] New Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jjostes1 wrote:
I've been climbing for sometime now and decided I am going to my own shoes. Does any one have any suggestions. And why

There are SO MANY threads from beginners asking about shoes... go read the FAQ in the "Beginners" section.

Jjostes1

Oct 31, 2012, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] New Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have questions I am looking for suggestions on what other people like don't like etc is that in the FAQ if so ill gladly go look up people's options there

Kartessa

Oct 31, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jjostes1 wrote:
I don't have questions I am looking for suggestions on what other people like don't like etc is that in the FAQ if so ill gladly go look up people's options there

No, the faq will not tell you what shoes to buy. It will tell you to read a little before posting. There are dozens of ACTIVE threads in the beginner and general forums about shoe suggestions.

Then post something of substance

marc801

Oct 31, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jjostes1 wrote:
Asking for shoe suggestions *is* asking a question. Read the FAQ to start. Then maybe search the forums - this is something that has been asked at least 5000 times in the past two years:
In reply to:

Forums: Search Results

Your search for shoes returned 53821 results

surfstar

Oct 31, 2012, 4:30 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Buy the tightest, most down-turned shoes you can find. They make you climb better. They should hurt like hell to wear for more than 2 mins at a time.

Kartessa

Oct 31, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfstar] New Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

surfstar wrote:
Buy the tightest, most down-turned shoes you can find. They make you climb better. They should hurt like hell to wear for more than 2 mins at a time.

+100 ^^^

All the good climbers wear Sportiva Solutions or Evolv Shamans.

billcoe_

Oct 31, 2012, 8:19 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There's a lot of shit said about shoez. Here's the short version once you get done reading everyone's opinions on RC.com. Get thee to thy nearest climbing shoppe and try on shoez till you are sick of hearing about it. Get the most snug fit you can get without crying. Some shoez will stretch out and some do not. Research that as well. For some damned reason, my boy, who has larger feet than me, can tolerate a smaller size. Thus, as this illustrates, to say that your results may vary is a big understatement.

LaSortiva shoes tend to fit me best. I come from Eurotrash stock though and those tend to be Italian shoes. The ugly LaSportivas I bought in Paris 8 years back have been resoled 6 times. Usually with Evolv rubber. However, I own well over 15 pairs of shoes now. I'm the Ismelda Marcos of climbing shoes bitchez. So don't feel that the only paid you buy will be the only pair you'll own. Pretty soon you'll get high tops, bouldering shoes, velcro slippers, more lace ups......no way to avoid it that I can see. Anytime I can get a pair for $40 I buy them for practicing and gym climbing. Full resoles with rands cost that much so that's my policy. You close out a shoe that I think will fit me I'm buying it if it's $40 or less.

Jjostes1

Oct 31, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] New Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you bill

billcoe_

Oct 31, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jjostes1 wrote:
Thank you bill

I appreciate the thanks and am glad to have helped. Shoes ain't cheap (my LaSportiva TC Pros were $122!), so it's nice to get that right the first time.

PS, as a followup to that, as you search on which shoes climbers believe is best, you will also see them argue about rubber all day long. I suspect any modern rubber would work great for you. I like 5.10 (Stealth C4) and Evolv the best. However, what is crazy is that last May I took my 2 pairs of LaSportivas to Yosemite and with one on each foot, tried to see what shoe would slip first on a sloper. I had expected that the old Evolv resoled Sportiva would be best in grip. I was wrong. The new TC Pros with what I had considered inferior Vibram soles had a microslight edge in performance when placed on the same hold. I tried multiple holds, and it seemed to be true on almost all.

Despite having empirical evidence bitchslap me directly in the face that the Vibram was superior (even if ever so slightly) to Evolv rubber, I haven't changed my view that it isn't as good. Despite it knowingly flying in the face of the actual truth. You'll see this all the time with other climbers and their beliefs on which rubber they "believe" is best as well. So keep that in mind when you see me say that C4 and Evolv rubber is the best, despite the fact that I'll argue that they are till I'm blue in the face. I know 2 others with the TC Pros that had them resoled when they were first bought, brand new, for this very reason.

Have fun in your quest!

bearbreeder

Oct 31, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get what fits and hopefully doesnt cost $$$$$$$

youll wear em up quickly with poor beginner footwork anyways ...

if the glove fits, you must acquit !!!

shockabuku

Nov 1, 2012, 2:18 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jjostes1 wrote:

If you're going to your own shoes I recommend you read the Fleshlight thread first!

brooklynclimber

Nov 1, 2012, 2:25 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] New Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoes are very personal - everyone's feet are shaped differently. Go to a shop and try some on. That's the only way to tell.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook