Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Syd

Nov 1, 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #26 of 76 (8630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Even gyms vary dramatically. My local gym has fairly realistic grades but at another nearby gym I can climb almost everything. It is probably 2-3 grades soft, although it's bouldering area is realistic.

shockabuku

Nov 1, 2012, 2:10 AM
Post #27 of 76 (8623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Daggers] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Daggers wrote:
if not everyone becomes a millionaire, just use logic and turn the question into how long does it take the average millionaire to get to the million dollar point.

I wasn't aware that v6 isn't obtained by most people that climb on a regular basis.

That's not logic.

Jumping to that conclusion uses the assumption that you don't know what you're talking about and asked the wrong question. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and answering the question you asked to the best of my ability. In the future I will know better and assume you don't know what you're talking about.Tongue

Alimali

Nov 1, 2012, 4:07 AM
Post #28 of 76 (8611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I must say, after reading everyone's replies, there are a rather large amount of a) massive climbing snobs, b) grade obsessed idiots, and c) rather unkind people on this forum.

Anyway, in my (not particularly extensive) experience, there is a rather variable definition of 'most' when it comes to people's climbing progression... and at the end of the day, comparing yourself to everyone else can waste so much time and you don't get a whole lot out of it.

Just climb. Enjoy it. And don't get hung up on grades, and how long it takes you to get to the next grade, and how many people can climb at your grade, and how long it took them, and blahdeeblahblahblah.

louBlissab

Nov 1, 2012, 3:28 PM
Post #29 of 76 (8578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alimali] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:
I must say, after reading everyone's replies, there are a rather large amount of a) massive climbing snobs, b) grade obsessed idiots, and c) rather unkind people on this forum.

Anyway, in my (not particularly extensive) experience, there is a rather variable definition of 'most' when it comes to people's climbing progression... and at the end of the day, comparing yourself to everyone else can waste so much time and you don't get a whole lot out of it.

Just climb. Enjoy it. And don't get hung up on grades, and how long it takes you to get to the next grade, and how many people can climb at your grade, and how long it took them, and blahdeeblahblahblah.

Well stated! More climbers should take this to heart.

Nobody gives a damn what grade or level a person climbs at. There is no lesser or greater personal accomplishment of the 5.5 climber, as compared to the 5.12+ climber.

There is no benefit to society or mankind for either. Does it really matter whether one's climbing gym or outdoor climbing area is sandbagged or considered hard? The plastic will be taken down in two weeks and the impossible sandbagged/run-out trad or sport project will be flashed and made to look easy by the next generation.

All climbers will realize long after the numbers are forgotten, when the body ages and breaks down, that what really is important, is the climbing experiences, the people met and the places visited.

superchuffer

Nov 1, 2012, 3:34 PM
Post #30 of 76 (8573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah! bouldering is BS! do a 5.8 at the gunks with a 20 pound rack... that is real climbing.

screw grades, those pros are up their own butts with v15, 5,15. i think they are making grades up these days. it is all watered down for money and sponsors. used to be that 5.12 was hard, now people warm up on it.

olderic

Nov 1, 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #31 of 76 (8557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How come the Alex Lowe (mis)quote hasn't appeared yet? Usually that is thrown out by now. Oh well - kumbuya.

bearbreeder

Nov 1, 2012, 4:37 PM
Post #32 of 76 (8543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [louBlissab] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:

Nobody gives a damn what grade or level a person climbs at. There is no lesser or greater personal accomplishment of the 5.5 climber, as compared to the 5.12+ climber.

as long as that 5.5 trad climber doesnt go off and shout out to the world about how hardcore it is for leading an easy trad climb and about how boulderers are just hauling thelmselves, sport climbers are weenies, and little kid doing 5.14 are crap ...

climb what you like ... but if yr a 5.5 trad climber, understand thats what you are ... and that the only valid excuse you have is that you have no desire to climb at a higher level ...youre certainly not better than a sport climber or boulderer who tries to climb at their limt

none of that ... im too tall/fat/old/tired/no time crap ... and especially none of that bouldering/sport/climbing hard aint real climbing ... etc ...

Daggers

Nov 1, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #33 of 76 (8510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alimali] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:

haha lol i think of it as there are two main types of climbers, those who climb, and those on this site. :P i just wanted to know to compare myself against others and track my progress and see how I am doing relative to people as a whole.

I think that gym grades vary largely. you can't say gyms as a whole set soft or hard. My gym sets harder routes and gives them lower grades. Others do not. It just depends.

redlude97

Nov 1, 2012, 6:49 PM
Post #34 of 76 (8507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Daggers wrote:

I think that gym grades vary largely. you can't say gyms as a whole set soft or hard. My gym sets harder routes and gives them lower grades. Others do not. It just depends.
So what you are saying is you can probably crush v12 outside Wink

Daggers

Nov 1, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #35 of 76 (8498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Daggers wrote:

i meant than other gyms lol i haven't climb at enough places outside to compare them to outside grades

louBlissab

Nov 1, 2012, 7:25 PM
Post #36 of 76 (8485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
louBlissab wrote:

as long as that 5.5 trad climber doesnt go off and shout out to the world about how hardcore it is for leading an easy trad climb and about how boulderers are just hauling thelmselves, sport climbers are weenies, and little kid doing 5.14 are crap ...

climb what you like ... but if yr a 5.5 trad climber, understand thats what you are ... and that the only valid excuse you have is that you have no desire to climb at a higher level ...youre certainly not better than a sport climber or boulderer who tries to climb at their limt

none of that ... im too tall/fat/old/tired/no time crap ... and especially none of that bouldering/sport/climbing hard aint real climbing ... etc ...

[image]http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247972_430571950333632_2112095981_n.jpg[/image]

5.5 climbers should be seen and not heard?

I see more upper-end climbers shouting out to the world, how hard-core it is to climb a stiff route, i.e. posing, posturing, hissy-fits, shirt-off/wool cap-on and general indifference to anyone around them. This may be a generalization, but this kind of display seems to happen a sport areas.

Furthermore, there are a lot of valid reasons why someone isn't climbing at a higher level or above 5.5 or whatever and has nothing to do with lack of desire. Reasons...what about age, injuries, body type, family responsibilities, economic status, parent selection, illness, location, business issues, personal fears, menopause, on and on.

Example, I climb with a group of older climbers, who in there day, crushed and put-up first ascents. They cling to their declining abilities and grade descent. Reason...see the previous paragraph. Has nothing to do with lack of desire.

I have much more respect for the person who is trying to overcome all of life's obstacles and is only climbing 5.5, than the gifted and superior talent, that has all the time in the world, good genes and support to devote to the sport.

Grades are just subjective numbers, that really don't mean a hell of a lot. At one time in climbing history 5.9 was the hardest grade for a climb in the world. 5.12's are warm-up's today. Sometime in the future, Chris Sharma's 5.15 whatever, will be a warmup for the next generation.

So to answer the original question of the OP, what the hell difference does it make how long it takes to get to V6. The journey to V6 is the goal, not necessarily achieving V6. Because after it's all said and done, what will be remembered will be the journey not necessarily the number.

(This post was edited by louBlissab on Nov 2, 2012, 1:16 AM)

edge

Nov 1, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #37 of 76 (8472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Daggers wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
Daggers wrote:

i meant than other gyms lol i haven't climb at enough places outside to compare them to outside grades

And exactly how many indoor gyms have you climbed at to make this sweeping statement?

bearbreeder

Nov 1, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #38 of 76 (8465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:

I see more upper-end climbers shouting out to the world, how hard-core it is to climb a stiff route, i.e. posing, posturing, hissy-fits, shirt-off/wool cap-on and general indifferent to anyone around them. This may be a generalization, but this kind of display seems to happen a sport areas.

Furthermore, there are a lot of valid reasons why someone isn't climbing at a higher level or above 5.5 or whatever and has nothing to do with lack of desire. Reasons...what about age, injuries, body type, family responsibilities, economic status, parent selection, illness, location, business issues, personal fears, on and on.

Example, I climb with a group of older climbers, who in there day, crushed and put-up first ascents. They cling to their declining abilities and grade descent. Reason...see the previous paragraph. Has nothing to do with lack of desire.

I have much more respect for the person who is trying to overcome all of life's obstacles and is only climbing 5.5, than the gifted and superior talent, that has all the time in the world, good genes and support to devote to the sport.

not out here ... most people ive met who climb hard sport are much more humble than all those "trad" climbers out here ... theyre too busy climbing and sending ...

they dont run around telling you the million ways yr going to die, scream at you for "unsafe" anchors, tell you how "hardcore" they were for running up snake dike, argue about how gumbie you are for using a cordelette and not tying in with the rope, how gri gris are the work of the devll and that you should only use an ATC, etc ...

the very best part about sport climbing, or any other type of hard climbing? when you get destroyed on a 5.11/12 and some 60 year old guy just hikes up it ... it happens quite frequently

its not a matter about how HARD you climb ... but what kind of excuses you make about not climbing to your limits and putting down kids who do climb to the very best of their abilities ...

climb what you want ... but dont be under the impression that some kid bouldering V6 doesnt love climbing or isnt a "real climber"

it not the grade that matters ... it that your willing to give it EVERYTHING ... and if you dont, not to make excuses about it or say "oh its only sport/gym climbing/boudlering" so it doesnt matter ...

louBlissab

Nov 1, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #39 of 76 (8454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
louBlissab wrote:

I see more upper-end climbers shouting out to the world, how hard-core it is to climb a stiff route, i.e. posing, posturing, hissy-fits, shirt-off/wool cap-on and general indifferent to anyone around them. This may be a generalization, but this kind of display seems to happen a sport areas.

Furthermore, there are a lot of valid reasons why someone isn't climbing at a higher level or above 5.5 or whatever and has nothing to do with lack of desire. Reasons...what about age, injuries, body type, family responsibilities, economic status, parent selection, illness, location, business issues, personal fears, on and on.

not out here ... most people ive met who climb hard sport are much more humble than all those "trad" climbers out here ... theyre too busy climbing and sending ...

they dont run around telling you the million ways yr going to die, scream at you for "unsafe" anchors, tell you how "hardcore" they were for running up snake dike, argue about how gumbie you are for using a cordelette and not tying in with the rope, how gri gris are the work of the devll and that you should only use an ATC, etc ...

the very best part about sport climbing, or any other type of hard climbing? when you get destroyed on a 5.11/12 and some 60 year old guy just hikes up it ... it happens quite frequently

its not a matter about how HARD you climb ... but what kind of excuses you make about not climbing to your limits and putting down kids who do climb to the very best of their abilities ...

climb what you want ... but dont be under the impression that some kid bouldering V6 doesnt love climbing or isnt a "real climber"

it not the grade that matters ... it that your willing to give it EVERYTHING ... and if you dont, not to make excuses about it or say "oh its only sport/gym climbing/boudlering" so it doesnt matter ...

Wow...are we touching some kind of nerve?

What's this constant reference to: "putting down kids"? Somewhere, in this whole discussion is putting down kids or anyone of any age?

As eloquently stated...climb what you want, but don't make the impression that some old guy climbing 5.5 doesn't love climbing or isn't a real climber! Let the old guy spray about his 5.5 ascent of some crappy choss-pile...afterall, he is giving it his all.

bearbreeder

Nov 1, 2012, 8:12 PM
Post #40 of 76 (8444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:

Wow...are we touching some kind of nerve?

What's this constant reference to: "putting down kids"? Somewhere, in this whole discussion is putting down kids or anyone of any age?

As eloquently stated...climb what you want, but don't make the impression that some old guy climbing 5.5 doesn't love climbing or isn't a real climber! Let the old guy spray about his 5.5 ascent of some crappy choss-pile...afterall, he is giving it his all.

is he now? ... i guess it depends how old Wink

i walked at 57 year old guy up a 5.11 crack, he usually does 5.8/9 ... sure it was TR, and he took a fall or two at the crux ... but he said "DONT LET ME DOWN I CAN DO THIS" ... and he did ... thats inspiring

if youre really giving it your all ... thats ALL that matters ... but the sad truth is that most people young or old will make excuses about why they cant climb this or that ...

and even worse many will hide behind their excuses by running around telling people that gym climbing is "soft", bouldering isnt climbing, sport climbing is nothing more than clipping, screaming "unsafe, unsafe" ... etc ...

youll see it all the times in these forums ... and sadly enough at some crags as well ...

Tongue

crjanow

Nov 1, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #41 of 76 (8422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man after not looking on this forum for so long and coming on here to read this thread makes me remember why i started reading on mountain project. what a stupid fucking pissing contest. shut the fuck up about what you can climb, like to climb, or think is the best kind of climbing and just climb.Crazy

Daggers

Nov 1, 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #42 of 76 (8414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

wow.. a simple question turned into this lol you all think that the area you live in and the places you gone are what the whole world is like. Not everyone is the same and has the same mentality. You all live in your own little world that you can not see past. What idiots you are to come on here to push your views onto others trying to do the same to you. Come on this site for knowledge and helping others gain it, not to satisfy your idiocy.

bearbreeder

Nov 1, 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #43 of 76 (8408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knowledge and gain? ... spend more time on RC Wink

if you want real knowledge that you can put to good use, go out and climb ...

the intrawebs is full of people telling you the million of ways yr gonna die ...

just go out and climb as hard and as much as you can ... and if you wont dont make excuses or blame others for it

Tongue

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Nov 1, 2012, 11:26 PM)

jbone

Nov 2, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #44 of 76 (8381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Daggers wrote:
wow.. a simple question turned into this lol you all think that the area you live in and the places you gone are what the whole world is like. Not everyone is the same and has the same mentality. You all live in your own little world that you can not see past. What idiots you are to come on here to push your views onto others trying to do the same to you. Come on this site for knowledge and helping others gain it, not to satisfy your idiocy.

The way you asked this question implies much much more than what you asked. Had you phrased it, "How would you know if your ready for v6?" your replies might take on a more positive nature. Climbing is not viewed favorably as a competition between others as much as a competition with yourself, keep this in context.

All climbers of any experience will talk you down and challenge your ability to pursue climbing. Its how we identify those who have no business trying to climb above their level cause its those very climbers who end up on a newsreel and give the rest of us and our activity a bad reputation. If you don't recognize this then its your own ignorance trying to tell you your not ready.

Come across as a useless git and you will be responded to as one. Show respect and a little humility and you may make a few friends around here.

louBlissab

Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #45 of 76 (8380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
knowledge and gain? ... spend more time on RC Wink

if you want real knowledge that you can put to good use, go out and climb ...

the intrawebs is full of people telling you the million of ways yr gonna die ...

just go out and climb as hard and as much as you can ... and if you wont dont make excuses or blame others for it

Tongue

And remember folks: "you have to give it your all"

(This post was edited by louBlissab on Nov 2, 2012, 1:11 AM)

bearbreeder

Nov 2, 2012, 1:36 AM
Post #46 of 76 (8366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:
And remember folks: "you have to give it your all"

nahhh ... do it half heartedly, give it a few lazy tries, eat a few cheezy poofs, tell yourself and others its too hard for ya, go on RC a bit ... doesnt matter because thats how ya doing the sport ya luv Wink

Daggers

Nov 2, 2012, 5:06 PM
Post #47 of 76 (8336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] How long for most people to reach v6's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbone wrote:
Daggers wrote:

The way you asked this question implies much much more than what you asked. Had you phrased it, "How would you know if your ready for v6?" your replies might take on a more positive nature. Climbing is not viewed favorably as a competition between others as much as a competition with yourself, keep this in context.

All climbers of any experience will talk you down and challenge your ability to pursue climbing. Its how we identify those who have no business trying to climb above their level cause its those very climbers who end up on a newsreel and give the rest of us and our activity a bad reputation. If you don't recognize this then its your own ignorance trying to tell you your not ready.

Come across as a useless git and you will be responded to as one. Show respect and a little humility and you may make a few friends around here.

oh right, so that's why they have competition for nationals and world and trying to get into the olympics?

measuring your progress against others is in no way against anything. if i'm going to do something i love such as climbing, i want to be the best. I want to know how i compare to others. not in a mean or overly competitive way, just to track my progress

jbone

Nov 2, 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #48 of 76 (8329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep measuring yourself against others and you will find yourself climbing alone. You should be striving to be your best, not "The Best."

The reason you think the way you do is because you have been raised to climb in a gym instead of out on the actual rock.

V6 when you see it http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._the_Beast_1962.html

(This post was edited by jbone on Nov 2, 2012, 5:25 PM)

edge

Nov 2, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #49 of 76 (8328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

Daggers wrote:

oh right, so that's why they have competition for nationals and world and trying to get into the olympics?

measuring your progress against others is in no way against anything. if i'm going to do something i love such as climbing, i want to be the best. I want to know how i compare to others. not in a mean or overly competitive way, just to track my progress

Well then, to answer your original question, my daughter was climbing V7 indoors and out at age 14, competed for 8 years pulling plastic in USA Climbing and ABS comps, and never made it to the US team as those comps are full of mutant kids who pull much harder than that.

More important than how hard she climbed is the fact that I got to introduce her to a lifelong sport that she carries on to this day, and the memories we share of that journey together.

You have earned all of the responses above by virtue of your posting history of "Being held back by my shoes?" (I climb V4 after 6 months), "Shoes really do make a difference!" (now I am climbing V6), to this gem of a topic (How awesome am I now that I am climbing V6 indoors on routes with no consensus that will be gone in a couple of months.)

All your posts just smack of look-at-me-ism. When you have travelled to a variety of areas outside and in and can consistantly climb V6s in a variety of styles, only then can you call yourself a V6 climber. Any further questions?

theextremist04

Nov 2, 2012, 7:12 PM
Post #50 of 76 (8294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a trip to Hueco, report back, and let us all know how it goes.

edit: you're in Florida, go to horse pens or rocktown then.

(This post was edited by theextremist04 on Nov 2, 2012, 7:13 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook