Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

crackmeup

Nov 1, 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #1 of 14 (12567 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd like to get a very portable video camera, mostly to shoot bouldering at a resolution that looks great on Vimeo. Ideally sub-$500. Any suggestions?

(This post was edited by crackmeup on Nov 1, 2012, 11:44 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Nov 2, 2012, 1:11 PM
Post #2 of 14 (12543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The new GoPro 3 Black shoots some of the best 1080p @ 60 FPS HD video I have seen. It can even shoot video at resolutions higher than HD(2.7K and 4K).

If you are outside with plenty of light it is the most portable high quality video camera you can find. It even has a wireless remote control for those times when you are bouldering and filming by yourself.

I got mine for $399 from Best Buy and that includes the waterproof housing.

http://gopro.com/...-hero3-black-edition

JasonsDrivingForce

Nov 2, 2012, 1:14 PM
Post #3 of 14 (12542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are some sample videos. You can download the original files from Vimeo. Please note that this is in a very poorly lit gym so there is more noise than you would see if you were bouldering outside in better light.

https://vimeo.com/52445669

https://vimeo.com/52349623

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Nov 2, 2012, 1:14 PM)

crackmeup

Jan 6, 2013, 9:14 PM
Post #4 of 14 (12193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using a Hero 3 Silver (they were out of the black when I got it at Best Buy). It's great in bright light, but in low light the noise is just too bad. By low light I don't mean dusk, I was trying to shoot a climb that came out of a cave during a cloudy day, and there was no way to get a decent shot.

Is the black model that much better in low light? If not, do you know any relatively small cameras with better sensors? (preferably for under $700)

JasonsDrivingForce

Jan 7, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #5 of 14 (12156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crackmeup wrote:
I've been using a Hero 3 Silver (they were out of the black when I got it at Best Buy). It's great in bright light, but in low light the noise is just too bad. By low light I don't mean dusk, I was trying to shoot a climb that came out of a cave during a cloudy day, and there was no way to get a decent shot.

Is the black model that much better in low light? If not, do you know any relatively small cameras with better sensors? (preferably for under $700)

Yes if you can still return the silver I would. The 2.7K protune mode of the black is actually very good in low light. If you shoot at 24 FPS cinema or even 30 FPS widescreen it will hold its own in low light. I have tried the 4K at 15 FPS mode and it doesn’t do as well as the 2.7K mode.

You need a hefty computer/video card to edit 2.7k video though.

All of the wide angle video after this point in the video below is 2.7K @ 30 FPS. This gym has terrible lighting.

http://youtu.be/SZ1NKGuiTPo?t=3m4s

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Jan 7, 2013, 2:26 PM)

crackmeup

Jan 9, 2013, 3:13 AM
Post #6 of 14 (12096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, that footage looks great! I'll try out the Black, and if the improvement is noticeable I'll keep it and sell the Silver.

Syd

Jan 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #7 of 14 (11971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Go Pro but I wouldn't bother. A tripod and something like an IXUS 240 is far better value for climbing.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jan 23, 2013, 2:59 PM
Post #8 of 14 (11855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
I have a Go Pro but I wouldn't bother. A tripod and something like an IXUS 240 is far better value for climbing.

A GoPro 1, 2, or 3 Black? There is a HUGE difference between the GoPro 1/2 and the 3 Black. They are not even remotely similar in quality of the video.

zstaloch

Jan 23, 2013, 7:26 PM
Post #9 of 14 (11842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a tachyoninc ops cam works great even in low light
http://www.tachyoninc.com/

Tfinney110

Jan 23, 2013, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 14 (11835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crackmeup wrote:
Thanks, that footage looks great! I'll try out the Black, and if the improvement is noticeable I'll keep it and sell the Silver.

You should let me know when you do that. I too have a Silver Edition and unfortunately I am disappointed with the quality of video it shoots.. i feel i can get better videos and images with my iPhone 4S. Unimpressed

marc801

Jan 23, 2013, 9:31 PM
Post #11 of 14 (11821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
A GoPro 1, 2, or 3 Black? There is a HUGE difference between the GoPro 1/2 and the 3 Black. They are not even remotely similar in quality of the video.
True, that. Unfortunately they all have the 170 degree wide angle lens, which is great for some things, but just doesn't work well when used for climbing POV - especially when head-mounted. We move our heads and look around - a *lot* - when we climb. That plus the inherent barrel distortion of a wide angle lens makes most GoPro climbing POV nearly impossible to watch for more than a few seconds.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jan 23, 2013, 9:45 PM
Post #12 of 14 (11816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Looking for a light HD video camera, suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
True, that. Unfortunately they all have the 170 degree wide angle lens, which is great for some things, but just doesn't work well when used for climbing POV - especially when head-mounted. We move our heads and look around - a *lot* - when we climb. That plus the inherent barrel distortion of a wide angle lens makes most GoPro climbing POV nearly impossible to watch for more than a few seconds.

I would mount it on your back with an extension pole. Your back doesn't move as much as your head will. If you can get a high above the head looking down shot it might look cool.

I agree the on the helmet shot is just not exciting anymore.

The GoPro really is best for Bouldering shots. You can simply put it on the ground and get some great close up wide angle shots that would be impossible otherwise.

Syd

Jan 31, 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #13 of 14 (11682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is a Hero 960.
Yes, head mounted is useless because of the amount of head movement.
It is too wide angle to be useful on the ground.
My IXUS 240 with a light tripod is great. My Canon HV30 is better because the pivoting screen makes it easier to film while belaying.
There's a lot of new quadcopters with video or that take GoPros, that should be fantastic ... but you'd need an extra person to operate them.
http://www.gizmag.com/dji-phantom-quadcopter/25672/

bernardo78

Feb 3, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #14 of 14 (11595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Panasonic makes some pretty decent HD camcorders. I've got a Panasonic HDC-TM80K. It shoots 1080 video, so you are getting that resolution you are looking for and then some. 720p for internet videos is really all you need. This one should do a good job indoors or outdoors if bouldering is all you are looking to shoot. I found it here, http://10rate.com/...-camcorders-reviews/, then ended up buying it on amazon for less than $300. That's way in your price range too. Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook